New Year's Eve--just a big party cruise?

My 3-generation family is booked on a Caribbean cruise the week of New Year's Eve. Being a holiday, the prices are high and I know there will be a lot of kids aboard. However, I'm wondering--considering that it is NYE--should we expect a lot of heavy drinking, late-night partying, and typical college Spring Break atmosphere?

Our group plans to "party like it's 2015" and I expect a lot of celebrating on that one night. But should we be prepared for the crazy party atmosphere all week long??

We were on a New Year's cruise last year (Explorer). Yes, there were a lot of families and kids. Ship was very festive with all the holiday decorations and everyone having a great time. It is now one of my most favorite trips. Go and enjoy!

Edited by Lady Hudson

My DH and I cruise every year during that week, as it is the easiest time for me to be away from work. As the other poster said, it is very festive. It is not, however, what I would call the "spring break party" atmosphere. The only caution I have is this does somewhat depend on the ship. Oasis Class ships are a favorite for large groups of extended families from Brazil during this cruise. We have found (and heard from others) that English speakers will be a very small minority of passengers. While the language isn't the issue, the fact that there are numerous very large groups can become an issue. They tend to save large areas of loungers, seats in the Windjammer, theater, etc. in case other members of their group want to join them. We no longer sail that class over the holidays to avoid the frustration.

Other than New Year's Eve itself, it is usually a fairly normal (actually pretty laid back) cruise. We do a NYE cruise every year, and the festivities usually don't really get going until after dinner and the evening's headliner show. Parties have a tendency to spread out to most of the venues, so other than the balloon drop in the promenade (which is always packed), you can usually find a spot to celebrate as much (or as little) as you want.

Oasis Class ships are a favorite for large groups of extended families from Brazil during this cruise. We have found (and heard from others) that English speakers will be a very small minority of passengers. .

I'd be interested to hear what others might have to say on this. Not saying it isn't so, but I'd be surprised if Brazilians are taking over the Oasis at any particular time, or that on a cruise from FLL English speaking guests were a "very small minority.

Been on several NYE cruises also due to work schedule. Never found them to be a party atmosphere except on NYE. Have found Christmas and NYE cruises do seem to have more extended families on board. Have found saving of seats to be more prevalent in the shows during these weeks since they want to be together as a group. Never really understood this since watching the show seems to be the goal and not a time to visit, but oh well...

Bottom line...don't think you will find any greater party animals on board than the usual. :)

I'd be interested to hear what others might have to say on this. Not saying it isn't so, but I'd be surprised if Brazilians are taking over the Oasis at any particular time, or that on a cruise from FLL English speaking guests were a "very small minority.

I assure you they do (it's their summer vacation through February every year)...and it's not a fun experience for the remaining Americans...been on two like that so far and won't cruise in Jan/Feb on the big ships due this practice! No patience for the hundreds on unruly and unsupervised kids by this group and most all venues taken over by them daily...IMO

Thanks Txcowboy10 for verifying my observations. Our first NYE cruise on Anthem was exactly as described, but we thought it might be an anomaly so we tried Oasis the next year. According to the crew, because of the long vacation period, the Oasis class ships are a favorite destination for large number of Brazilians (as you stated). On our Oasis cruise, our waiter shared there were fewer than 800 passengers for whom English was their first language. I consider that to be a very small minority on a ship with 5000+ passengers. When you heard someone speaking English, you quickly made friends. :) You are also correct about the very large number of unsupervised children and teenagers running around. We still sail over NYE, but no longer on the Oasis class ships.