Book Specific Cabin or Guarantee

sail7seas

We booked a specific cabin on every cruise save for one we just booked at the last minute. We'll have to see how it works out. (I guess it will give me something to write about.)

We have only booked a guarantee once, for our upcoming Maasdam cruise. Normally we book an inside cabin, occasionally a balcony if the price is good.

We have never booked anything but a guarantee. We just make sure that we would be satisfied with any room in the category. We are not light sleepers, so noise would not bother us. We had one next to the glass elevators, and that was not a problem. We have never been disappointed:)

We have tried everything.:) The stateroom we book depends upon the part of the world. For the Carribbean we always book inside and pick a specific cabin. For Canada - New England and Alaska, we book a veranda guarentee simply because there are no bad veranda staterooms on the S and R class ships. And as others have mentioned, we make sure our TA knows we are open to upsell offers.

Edited by BumperII
spelling

I always book a specific cabin. Hopefully, I book in time to get my first choice cabin, but sometimes I have to pick something else in the same neighborhood.

It's always an inside, in one of the upper categories for that class of cabin---depending on class of ship.

I mark the booking "Do Not Upgrade".

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an "upgrade followed by an up sell"? Is that when they offer you a better cabin but you have to pay for it? What if you choose not to accept it ... What then?

We have a guaranteed mini suite on the Island Princess for the 2/15 PanCan cruise.. TA says she can do nothing about it. I'm worried because I wanted a cabin with a covered balcony and now apparently we may not get that. Did I mention we are first time cruisers?

I'm all for an upgrade but the word"upsell" has me puzzled.

Thanks.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an "upgrade followed by an up sell"? Is that when they offer you a better cabin but you have to pay for it? What if you choose not to accept it ... What then?

We have a guaranteed mini suite on the Island Princess for the 2/15 PanCan cruise.. TA says she can do nothing about it. I'm worried because I wanted a cabin with a covered balcony and now apparently we may not get that. Did I mention we are first time cruisers?

I'm all for an upgrade but the word"upsell" has me puzzled.

Thanks.

On "upsell" is a term people use here on CC. HAL's email refer to it as a "paid upgrade". Basically it means that you pay (a set price determined by HAL) for the upgrade they are offering.

DaveOKC

We usually book a specific balcony cabin but for our upcoming cruise we have a balcony guarantee. Waiting to see how that goes. In the future we will have to book specific cabins, either modified or fully handicapped, as it is getting more difficult by the day to step over those high bathtubs.:eek:

I always book a specific cabin since I don't like cabins at the bow, stern or near elevators or exit doors. The last three cruises I have booked ocean views and checked the upgrade box. In two cases I got truly great upsell offers and exercised them to get verandahs. Since HAL gives almost no free upgrades this is a pretty low risk.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks, everyone. Really interesting.

DH and I always booked specific cabin and almost always the same we always have on that class of ship. Now that I'm a solo, I am considering all possibilities until I determine what will work best for me.

We always book specific cabins. Once I booked an SY guarantee - for about two weeks. I decided I wasn't cut out to play the "game" and called our PCC to change the reservation to a specific Neptune Suite. I like to know "where I'm going to live" when cruising. I honestly wish I wasn't so fussy.