Tips for Cruising Over Christmas

sdjatigger

We are taking our first holiday cruise this year. We will be traveling over Christmas and New Years. It will be my husband, myself, and our 6 year old son. I would love any tips, insight, etc. that people are willing to share that have helped them make their holiday cruises great.

Edited by sdjatigger

Enjoy your first Holiday Cruise. We took our first a few years ago and enjoyed it so much we are doing it again this year. The felling of family and holiday spirit while cruising is just wonderful.

I too would suggest a few deceptions for your room.

Keith

We only cruise at Christmas/New Years due to me being a teacher, so I have nothing to compare it too. Expect the ships to be full and festive and over the top decorated! Usually lots of families. We always decorate our room and doorway with inexpensive decorations that we leave behind after the cruise. Expect popular excursions to sell out quickly. We often enjoy time on the ship when in port because it is quiet while everyone else goes off ship.

If you're flying to the port, book air as far out as possible. Holiday times flights fill early and get more expensive the closer you get to December. Were flying over Thanksgiving (but not going on a cruise) Booked air in May, just looked the other day for the h*ll of it, and the best fare is more then twice what we paid.

Edited by marco

Our last three cruises were over the holidays (because we have a school-aged kid) on Princess. The ship is decorated and the cruises were two-weeks long so we also got NYE too.

There were plenty of holiday movies on the MUTS screen over the pool as well as in the cabin (plus many Hawaiian-set movies too as they were the Hawaiian cruises).

If you have any ports on Christmas, you might want to check on what will be open (unless you're planning to beach it). We were on Maui two years ago on Christmas and I e-mailed one place and found out they were open that day.

We've taken several Christmas cruises. Since you'll have your son with you, your concerns about children won't be the same as ours. We like ships that have plenty of adults only spaces--like the larger Princess ships. The good thing is those ships also have more children and will have youth staff ready for them.