Is Dynamic Dining the end of using OBC for gratuities?

I just had to change a reservation I made back in June on the Oasis to a from 9/12/15 to 9/5/15 and was told that because the Oasis was changing to the Dynamic Dining Program in Spring of 2015 my gratuities will have to be pre-paid before I sail.

I was also told that I would have to choose my dining times and places before I sail. Who knows where and what they want to eat 6-9 months before your actual trip?

Things are really changing

Thing are really changing at Royal.

We totally agree, things are definitely changing at Royal Caribbean and we are not too happy with the new changes. We enjoy traditional dining and like having our tips added daily. Our next cruise is on Allure which will still have traditional dining but we are going to wait and see the reviews for dynamic dining to decide if we're keeping our Oasis or we're cancelling and switching to another line. We also will not prepay our tips at booking or at final payment. We use our OBC usually for tips and do not want to have to now use it for things we don't need or want. Traditional dining and MTD were good it gave people the choice when they wanted to dine or if they wanted the same time and waiter each day but now on Oasis with this new dynamic dining & 3 complimentary full-service restaurants one of which is formal every day Royal Caribbean is not giving you much of a choice except to try their special restaurants. The other complimentary choices like the buffet, Sorrento's or the cafe promenade are not dinner options as we enjoy full service. Nor do we want to eat at the same two or three full-service complimentary restaurants with the same menu the whole week. I guess time will tell how things will unravel and whether the majority are happy or not with the new changes. We have always loved sailing with Royal Caribbean but will have no qualms about switching lines if prepayment of tips is mandatory and there are no other options except three complimentary full service restaurants for dynamic dining with the same menus.

I just had to change a reservation I made back in June on the Oasis to a from 9/12/15 to 9/5/15 and was told that because the Oasis was changing to the Dynamic Dining Program in Spring of 2015 my gratuities will have to be pre-paid before I sail.

I was also told that I would have to choose my dining times and places before I sail. Who knows where and what they want to eat 6-9 months before your actual trip?

I think you are missing the point. It's not what or where, it's when that matters.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Forget what you were told. The folks manning the phones at Royal are very poorly trained -- just call three different times, talk to three different people, and get three different answers. Because there are no consequences giving the wrong answer, they just give the first answer that comes to mind. The answers for DD changed almost weekly after early and late seating suddenly disappeared from people's reservations. Eventually most of them will know what to say about DD on Oasis and Allure.

We totally agree, things are definitely changing at Royal Caribbean and we are not too happy with the new changes. We enjoy traditional dining and like having our tips added daily. Our next cruise is on Allure which will still have traditional dining but we are going to wait and see the reviews for dynamic dining to decide if we're keeping our Oasis or we're cancelling and switching to another line. We also will not prepay our tips at booking or at final payment. We use our OBC usually for tips and do not want to have to now use it for things we don't need or want. Traditional dining and MTD were good it gave people the choice when they wanted to dine or if they wanted the same time and waiter each day but now on Oasis with this new dynamic dining & 3 complimentary full-service restaurants one of which is formal every day Royal Caribbean is not giving you much of a choice except to try their special restaurants. The other complimentary choices like the buffet, Sorrento's or the cafe promenade are not dinner options as we enjoy full service. Nor do we want to eat at the same two or three full-service complimentary restaurants with the same menu the whole week. I guess time will tell how things will unravel and whether the majority are happy or not with the new changes. We have always loved sailing with Royal Caribbean but will have no qualms about switching lines if prepayment of tips is mandatory and there are no other options except three complimentary full service restaurants for dynamic dining with the same menus.

It was reported on one of these threads that the menus change mid-week if that helps. To me, that's the equivalent of having six different restaurants to choose from.

If the menus change halfway through then yes it makes a difference but there's controversy on that subject as several people said they heard it will and others have said when they spoke to Royal Caribbean that it won't and the menus will be the same all week. For us it's not the restaurants itself its the menu being the same as there's no difference going to different restaurants as it was to the main dining room but at least in the main dining room there was a different choice everyday. Right now there are so many different stories going around in regards to things with dynamic dining only time will tell when Quantum comes out. Then we'll get more answers and we'll make a decision at that time.

If the menus change halfway through then yes it makes a difference but there's controversy on that subject as several people said they heard it will and others have said when they spoke to Royal Caribbean that it won't and the menus will be the same all week. For us it's not the restaurants itself its the menu being the same as there's no difference going to different restaurants as it was to the main dining room but at least in the main dining room there was a different choice everyday. Right now there are so many different stories going around in regards to things with dynamic dining only time will tell when Quantum comes out. Then we'll get more answers and we'll make a decision at that time.

We are booked on Oasis for next year, and are disappointed in the switch to DD. I looked at the online menus for the restaurants, and can't see eating there for 7 days. We received an email saying there will be "expanded options at the Windjammer" so perhaps that is what they will be encouraging - that and the paid-for specialty restaurants. It sounds like the typical all-inclusive resort model. Sit down restaurants for 3 days of the week, buffet for the rest or pay for different restaurants.

By the way, SF, is that you???

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2111654&page=13

See post 241.

This information from the RCI website, not hearsay. It does refer specifically to Oasis (probably Allure too). I'm thinking part of the confusion may stem from a difference between Quantum with five restaurants and Oasis/Allure with four. Since there are going to be fewer restaurants on Oasis/Allure, they maybe switching menus to make up for it.

I do not see the menus as a problem. Three restaurants with two different menus and more choices on each menu than the MDR. You should have more choices with DD.

I do not understand why some want to discount the Grande restaurant since it is all formal every night. If you like traditional nights, then you probably like formal nights too. If you don't like formal nights, you probably go to the buffet or do specialty so that shouldn't be a problem either.

Of course that doesn't address the same table, same waitstaff, etc., but it should reassure people about the menus.

I agree, the best course is to wait until we hear from the first few sailings.

Like I said before if the menus change there shouldn't be a problem especially if they're going to still have alternative choices like they had in the main dining room. I'm sure Royal Caribbean will take all these things into consideration to keep their passengers happy.

Like I said before if the menus change there shouldn't be a problem especially if they're going to still have alternative choices like they had in the main dining room. I'm sure Royal Caribbean will take all these things into consideration to keep their passengers happy.

I have read many threads on DD, and I can't remember ANY thread with confirmed information that the menus change mid cruise. Each restaurant will have its own standard menu, from what I know.

I think you are missing the point. It's not what or where, it's when that matters.

Sorry, but if you are asked for a time, and they offer 3 restaurants that are included in your cruise fare, you will need to tell them which restaurant you want to be seated at for your time slot.

It is NOT one dining room with Dynamic Dining.

I have read many threads on DD, and I can't remember ANY thread with confirmed information that the menus change mid cruise. Each restaurant will have its own standard menu, from what I know.

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Misc/14040643_Dynamic_Dining_FAQ.pdf

Here's the link to the RCI webpage where this is described. Second page, half way down. Note, there is a difference for Oasis/Allure where the menus do change.

Cruise critic is a wonderful place for information but all too often people repeat what they've read here and do not do any independent research to verify the facts.

BTW, this was discussed on this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...111654&page=13

See post 241.

I so wish the cruise lines would just do away with gratuities. Call them what they've become. A SERVICE CHARGE! Add them on the the costing the cruise and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Misc/14040643_Dynamic_Dining_FAQ.pdf

Here's the link to the RCI webpage where this is described. Second page, half way down. Note, there is a difference for Oasis/Allure where the menus do change.

Cruise critic is a wonderful place for information but all too often people repeat what they've read here and do not do any independent research to verify the facts.

BTW, this was discussed on this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...111654&page=13

See post 241.

From what I have read, it is ONLY on Oasis/Allure that their will be a change in menu at some point during the cruise.

Copied from the Royal marketing material:

Q: Will menus stay the same in each restaurant every night?

A: Each restaurant features its own distinctive menu and ambience that remains consistent throughout the sailing. However, guests who return to a given restaurant can vary their dining experience by ordering different

selections from the menu.

On Oasis Class, American Icon Grill, Silk, and The Grand will feature two menus that rotate midway through the cruise.

As some people have alluded to, DD will be rolled out to other ships, where this CHANGE in menu midway through the cruise WILL NOT BE done. People are making it sound as if this change in menu will be on all ships having DD and it won't be.

To me it seems very SAD not to have a designated "formal night". It's very fun on a cruise to eat the fancy dinner, and then walk through the promenade and see all the other ladies dressed to the nines and everyone getting their photos snapped... everyone looking and feeling posh together.

DD has no more formal nights, just 1 formal restaurant. Every night, people will be spread between 5+ dinner venues (4 free restaurants, and Windjammer, and pay$ restaurants. So less than 20% of passengers will be dressed formal.... i.e. less than 10% of passengers will be wearing the lovely evening gowns that are always so fun to admire.

That makes me sad. No more fancy nights where everyone dresses like going to a ball. Now it will just be a couple hundred people sticking out like a sore thumb. :(

And, there's no way I'll be able to get the menfolk I usually travel with to go to a formal restaurant if there are 4 other free eateries. Dynamic Dining will probably mean the end of my getting to wear formals, except when I cruise alone.

Edited by styxfire

Not one poster in this six page discussion mentions the benefit to RC of holding ALL of that gratuity money for thousands of guests on their ships booked to sail each and every week. Clearly it is their intention to get as many people as they can to pay them up front and tell you whatever it takes. Playing dumb seemed to work out or the "nobody really knows the right answer" game.

They are very sneaky and they know just how to do it. Roll out a dining plan they can claim is the same as MTD. The noise makers can let them know they will not pre-pay and seems they are being heard, FOR NOW. However, many people will go with the flow and not worry about something they are paying one way or another eventually. Whether from obc or their pocket. Few are the guests who do not owe a substantial tab at the end of a cruise vacation as many here will attest.

I have long been against the pre-paid required for MTD. My original assumption was that they offered MTD because they HAD to to compete with NCL but they thought many guests would NOT like the experience. They did not want to risk gratuity revenue if it did bomb.

I HAVE GIVEN MORE THOUGHT TO ALL THAT gratuity MONEY SITTING IN ROYAL ACCOUNTS. After all they did just spend billions on the new builds. Chances are they are feeling a little pinch in the pocketbook. Another thing I noticed is their booking engines and computer system need an updatel! A few million should cover it, MAYBE. This is a project long overdue with over 16000 berths added since Oasis was launched. You may not be aware of this but your TAs are.

If you can get them to take off pre-paid grats DO IT because down the road this will NOT be an option.

Safe travels!

Edited by Gypsea

I could have written this - you've expressed my feelings exactly!

I agree, RCCL is stashing a tidy sum in their interest-earning coffers for the whole duration of time between your final payment and the end of the cruise (when they give all (supposedly) your pre-paid tips to their staff).

RCCL's definitely working the financial end of this deal. It benefits Royal financially in NUMEROUS ways when they force you to pre-pay tips.

Sorry, but if you are asked for a time, and they offer 3 restaurants that are included in your cruise fare, you will need to tell them which restaurant you want to be seated at for your time slot.

It is NOT one dining room with Dynamic Dining.

So switch them around, plenty of choices. All that really matters is the time I sit down.

And, considering that pre-payment of tips costs you an additional 10% - 45% on top of your cruise price,... it makes sense to switch cruiselines if Royal starts forcing pre-payment on its DD cruises.

Boy, you certainly do have a chip on your shoulder about this issue. The prepayment issue has been asked and answered here. Folks who booked before Royal decided on DD had prepaid gratuities added to their bookings as if it was My Time. But things evolved and you don't have to pay them unless you don't want them removed. All the major lines are doing it the same way. So it doesn't make "sense" to switch cruiselines for this reason.You can use your OBC for the gratuities. My Time was the issue, especially if you typically stiff the staff.

My Time was the issue, especially if you typically stiff the staff.

Nothing to do with stiffing anybody, has to do with being able to use OBC or not.

Seems like Royal does not have a clear and consistent policy on this. People get a variety of different answers and policy implementations. If they're going to let one set of guests use OBC for gratuities, they should blanket cover all guests. Or reverse it and not allow the practice to continue. But to play it against guests as some can and some can't is just a bit grating.