What has improved on Celebrity recently?

Kevnzworld

Great news! Can you tell us what ship has the grill for steaks? And is it every day?

thank you

I thought all ships did grilled to order steak, fish and chicken in the evening buffet at the panini sandwich station (waffle station at breakfast time).

I agree totally.

I'm with the majority who are thrilled not to have to do this anymore. If you go to the drill (which is required) and pay attention (which is particularly important for new cruisers) you should have no problem being able to put on a life jacket. Seriously, it is not complicated at all. They probably had more people injured from tripping and falling on the straps, on flat decks or on the stairs, than ever would be impacted by failing to understand how to put on a life jacket. I do not take safety lightly, and hope to heaven I never need to put on that jacket, but we can agree to disagree on whether it is necessary.

I'm with the majority who are thrilled not to have to do this anymore. If you go to the drill (which is required) and pay attention (which is particularly important for new cruisers) you should have no problem being able to put on a life jacket. Seriously, it is not complicated at all. They probably had more people injured from tripping and falling on the straps, on flat decks or on the stairs, than ever would be impacted by failing to understand how to put on a life jacket. I do not take safety lightly, and hope to heaven I never need to put on that jacket, but we can agree to disagree on whether it is necessary.

Agree as well. Frankly even more important might be to practice actually getting into the lifeboats in a quick and orderly fashion, yet this isn't done either. Can you imagine of this was done as part of the drill?!?!

Some things, we simply have to be left to trust that we can figure out for ourselves when it's needed. Or let Darwin take control of one's destiny.

I'm sure I will probably be the only person who thinks like this, but I see that as mistake on X's part that could result in the loss of life.

everyone should be required to get their life jacket, and everyone should required to put it on. You never know when your life will depend on doing that.

Perhaps we can add some perspective the lifejacket issue. Nearly all cruise lines have now dropped the requirement that passengers take their life jackets to the muster drill. The reason? Over the years there have been too many injuries (some quite severe) caused when passengers tripped over straps that were hanging down from the life jackets. No matter how many warnings were given not to let straps dangle....some just did not listen and it was usually another unfortunate passenger that paid the price (often falling down steps).

As to putting on your life jacket, for those that are concerned they can do it in the privacy of their cabin...and if they need instruction it will be provided by your own cabin steward.

Hank

I tried to put together a set of pluses and minuses in the past couple of years...and the minus column is unfortunately, a fair amount longer. I suppose I could list things here, but why...history is history. Those of us that have noticed the "minor" reductions have very different views than those on their first cruise. If you haven't eaten in Blu, why does it matter if the menu hasn't changed or game birds were poorly cooked on earlier cruises? If you're in a concierge cabin, you've seen the fruit basket replaced with three apples; the chocolates replaced by one oreo, the flowers just gone....all small, actually trivial in the scheme of things...but they add up. New cruisers don't see those changes.

I suspect we aren't alone in starting to look at and book cruises on other lines because our experience has been less than positive....and partially we're booking other cruise lines because frankly, celebrity itineraries are very repetitive year to year. That's one thing that hasn't changed much....is that a plus or a minus?

Celebrity is trying new things.....about 80% of them aimed at convincing new cruisers that their suites are worth the money and everyone else that they are sailing in modern luxury (that's the other 20%). Some of the new things will work...the poolside BBQ is one that seems to be a plus. Others will die...and others such as the red carpet to nowhere....well, they'll be around until someone realizes they are silly. At least they are trying. I do get a bit bent out of shape when the daily events are more and more sales oriented and the art auction director is introduced as a ship's officer....but that's just me...others like the "brown diamond unveiling" with the captain. Maybe I'd be happier if he focused on running the ship and not promoting the franchise marketing income....again, probably just me.

IMHO, Celebrity remains as the top cruise line overall in what I call the mass market cruise lines. That statement though is suspect because look at an industry like airlines where they are fighting to reduce seat size and amenities and increase fee options. I cringe when I read that xxx is the best rated US airline because they're all awful....at least to those of us with some historic frame of reference. Celebrity (and likely the other cruise lines) are just following the airline model.....wait for the baggage fee...it's coming :)

Edited by ghstudio

I tried to put together a set of pluses and minuses in the past couple of years...and the minus column is unfortunately, a fair amount longer. I suppose I could list things here, but why...history is history. Those of us that have noticed the "minor" reductions have very different views than those on their first cruise. If you haven't eaten in Blu, why does it matter if the menu hasn't changed or game birds were poorly cooked on earlier cruises? If you're in a concierge cabin, you've seen the fruit basket replaced with three apples; the chocolates replaced by one oreo, the flowers just gone....all small, actually trivial in the scheme of things...but they add up. New cruisers don't see those changes.

I suspect we aren't alone in starting to look at and book cruises on other lines because our experience has been less than positive....and partially we're booking other cruise lines because frankly, celebrity itineraries are very repetitive year to year. That's one thing that hasn't changed much....is that a plus or a minus?

Celebrity is trying new things.....about 80% of them aimed at convincing new cruisers that their suites are worth the money and everyone else that they are sailing in modern luxury (that's the other 20%). Some of the new things will work...the poolside BBQ is one that seems to be a plus. Others will die...and others such as the red carpet to nowhere....well, they'll be around until someone realizes they are silly. At least they are trying. I do get a bit bent out of shape when the daily events are more and more sales oriented and the art auction director is introduced as a ship's officer....but that's just me...others like the "brown diamond unveiling" with the captain. Maybe I'd be happier if he focused on running the ship and not promoting the franchise marketing income....again, probably just me.

IMHO, Celebrity remains as the top cruise line overall in what I call the mass market cruise lines. That statement though is suspect because look at an industry like airlines where they are fighting to reduce seat size and amenities and increase fee options. I cringe when I read that xxx is the best rated US airline because they're all awful....at least to those of us with some historic frame of reference. Celebrity (and likely the other cruise lines) are just following the airline model.....wait for the baggage fee...it's coming :)

Very succinct points you present here, and I agree with them all.

We are Elite status on Celebrity and have seen the changes, mostly for the worse. But if you shop the pricing and add in the perks for elite, it is still a great vacation experience for the money.

Our very first cruise experience was on the brand spanking new Infinity, in 2001. She was perhaps 2 months old, and it was our very 1st cruise. We were spoiled beyond belief! The service, elegance and excellence of that ship got us hooked on cruising, and on Celebrity. We were absolutely spoiled, and anyone who sailed the M-class ships in the early 2000's understands that. All four of those M-class ships consistently ranked in the top 10, if not the top 5 on Conde Nast's annual survey for several years.

Those days are gone, but remnants of the awesome experience that Celebrity provided are still there, IMO.

It's really all about the market, as you discussed.

wait for the baggage fee...it's coming :)

I'd kind of actually would like to see X offer a baggage service of sorts. For a $20 fee or so, they will mail luggage tags, a coupon booklet, and GUARANTEE priority baggage delivery. The coupon booklet would in essence offset the fee, and generate additional onboard spend at the same time.

No fee, no mailed luggage tags, just use the tags you can print off yourself or affix the ones at the pier.

There'd be lots of whining for a while about no more luggage tags, but in a few months it'd die off, and the complaints about how complicated it is to get luggage tags, and how clunky and unreliable the service is would be gone. It'd save several phone calls also to customer service for people calling having problems getting luggage tags.

It'd save X money and at the same time develop a new revenue stream, to be used by those that really want preprinted luggage tags delivered by mail.

I'd kind of actually would like to see X offer a baggage service of sorts. For a $20 fee or so, they will mail luggage tags, a coupon booklet, and GUARANTEE priority baggage delivery. The coupon booklet would in essence offset the fee, and generate additional onboard spend at the same time.

No fee, no mailed luggage tags, just use the tags you can print off yourself or affix the ones at the pier.

There'd be lots of whining for a while about no more luggage tags, but in a few months it'd die off, and the complaints about how complicated it is to get luggage tags, and how clunky and unreliable the service is would be gone. It'd save several phone calls also to customer service for people calling having problems getting luggage tags.

It'd save X money and at the same time develop a new revenue stream, to be used by those that really want preprinted luggage tags delivered by mail.

It would be so much fun at the pier with everyone getting tags from the porters. Do you really think this would be a good idea? I usually think you are a sensible person but not only would the passengers be annoyed, I can't imagine the porters would be thrilled. Remember, a lot of the elderly passengers who make up the majority of cruisers are not particularly great at printing and laminating luggage tags.

Edited by Ma Bell

It would be so much fun at the pier with everyone getting tags from the porters. Do you really think this would be a good idea? I usually think you are a sensible person but not only would the passengers be annoyed, I can't imagine the porters would be thrilled.

Yes, I am serious about this idea.

Royal Caribbean doesn't mail luggage tags but for premium cabins and Certain levels of C&A. No options for lesser cabins at all. Royal has many more ships and much larger ships, and the system seems to work, so no doubt it would be equally as convenient on X.

Quantum, they now RFID your bags so you can follow its transit at the pier to cabin, so there is definitely some sort of interaction happening with luggage at the pier now that is taking time.

Everyone on X gets a luggage tag printed with their cruise documents to DIY it if they want to they can copy and make as many as they like to attach. There is no need to laminate them if you follow the instructions and triple fold them. And so long as your luggage has your name on it as the Airlines already require, pif a bag misses its tag, they can readily find you and retag the ship label and deliver luggage.

From Royal Caribbean's Website:

Royal Caribbean's Luggage Tag program conveniently lets qualified guests request their personalized ship tags before leaving home. Ordering your luggage tags in advance greatly speeds up your boarding experience, allowing you to enjoy more time onboard your cruise vacation.

U.S. & Canadian Guests who Qualify for the Luggage Tag Program

• Crown & Anchor® Society Pinnacle members.

• Guests who have booked the following staterooms:

AquaTheater Suite (A1, A2, A3)

Royal Loft Suite (RL)

Royal Suite (RS)

Presidential Family Suite (PS)

Sky Loft Suite (SL)

Owner’s Suite (OS)

Loft Suite (L1, L2)

Royal Family Suite (FS)

Two-Bedroom Suite with Balcony (TS)

Grand Suite (GS)

Eligibility Requirements

Guests must have their cruise documents available and have an assigned stateroom in their name. Or, if booked under a Guarantee, have been advised on their stateroom assignment and are in possession of their paper cruise documents. Requests for Royal Caribbean's Luggage Tag Mailer must be made no later than 14 days prior to the sailing date. If the guest is eligible to request luggage tags, they will be able to complete the request via Online Check-in (on the status page) or Countdown to Cruise (on the Guest Documentation tab).

Additional Details

Guests who take advantage of this program can expect to receive their ship luggage tags by mail within several business days. Guests who receive paper documents and have an assigned stateroom will find their personalized ship luggage tags inside their booklet.

Please Note: Luggage Tag Mailers are only available at this time to guests who reside in Canada and the United States. Guests who do not qualify for this program can secure their ship luggage tags from our Porters at the pier.

Edited by cle-guy

It would be so much fun at the pier with everyone getting tags from the porters. Do you really think this would be a good idea? I usually think you are a sensible person but not only would the passengers be annoyed, I can't imagine the porters would be thrilled. Remember, a lot of the elderly passengers who make up the majority of cruisers are not particularly great at printing and laminating luggage tags.

Holland American does not mail luggage tags and there is no mayhem at the pier. My observation is the Celebeity cruisers are kids compared to HAL.

Having said that, I perfer to keep things as they are now on Celebrity. There's something fun about getting those luggage tags in the mail.

The best improvement for our family is the lunch service in the main dinning room? Lunch was served everyday in August on the Eclipse. We like the buffet but prefer to be waited on. We like the changes to the new Solstice class ships such as different sunset bar and the lawn club. We also feel changing cellar masters into a bar is an improvement. We think Captains club has improved with Elite plus but we don't like the gap between Elite plus and Zenith.

Re pricing.

We wonder if Kevin is comparing prices for European cruises.

It is important to compare like with like.

We have booked a cruise for Peak session, July or August in February for the past 3 years. We have booked AQ on the Eclipse, Reflection and Eclipse.

2012.....£112 a night, including gratuities. (14 nights)

2013.... £132 a night including Gratuities, (12 nights)

2014......£155 a night including 123go....classic drink package and gratuities, (14 nights )

2015.......£193 a night not including gratuities and as yet no 123go. ( 13 nights Equinox .....watching price as still in November.)

We have however had Caribbean cruises which have come in at under £100 a night and one cruise which was cheaper than any European cruise even when airfare was included. In our experience Caribbean cruises are a lot cheaper and we wish Celebrity would keep a ship in Florida for the summer.

A cheaper cruise and more time to explore Florida is on our wish list.