Where is the Dawn (10 Oct 2014 morning)?

GeezerCouple

Is there any news about whether the Dawn will dock at Bermuda, or when?

It looked from navigation maps that she might be circling Bermuda, waiting out the storm, but now it looks more like she is heading north away from the island.

Port webcam shows stormy conditions.

NCL isn't updating anything yet.

Last report we found (regular news) was late last night, and it said Dawn and another ship were planning to dock on schedule.

I hope everyone on board is comfortable.

We got home one month ago today, and miss it so much.

GeezerCouple

This from the Royal Gazette:

"The full fury of Tropical Storm Fay was unleashed on Bermuda in the early hours of the morning with wind gusts of up to 82 miles per hour. Trees are down throughout the Island, bus services have been suspended and Belco reports 18,000 customers are currently without power. The Bermuda Weather Service reported at 8 am: "The back of the eye of Fay brought the strongest winds to the Island which were enhanced by thunderstorms. Conditions will soon begin to improve. Tropical Storm conditions are likely for a few hours on the back side of the storm, with easing winds by late-morning, as Fay moves slowly away. Conditions then continue to improve well into the week ahead, as high pressure builds."

....I bet the Dawn will be pretty late today... :(

Slowest hurricane season since 1983....but still "the" season...I just hope everyone is safe.

I'm curious why they would have sailed this close to the storm knowing it was going to be there this morning. I was under the assumption that the cruise lines sail around this kind of weather when have knowledge of it.:confused:

Edited by yoboy08753

They can sail around storms or change ports. They'll do what's best for the safety of the ship, passengers and crew.

That's what I'm saying. It doesn't seem like they did that with the Dawn today.

Untitled.jpg.313fca0b6e72ffb650aca3d91f1b1cdc.jpg

Edited by yoboy08753

I'm curious why they would have sailed this close to the storm knowing it was going to be there this morning. I was under the assumption that the cruise lines sail around this kind of weather when have knowledge of it.:confused:

I think that as of last night this storm was not predicted to be quite as severe. Poor people on the Dawn, we sailed thought hurricane Ivan ( I think 2005 ) on the Dawn when it hit land but looped backed to sea and caught us. We were in 40 ft waves with gale force winds and truthfully the ship did very well, lots of sick people but no one was panicking or anything like that.

As of 9:45 AM the Dawn is headed Northwest away from Bermuda. Maybe doing a large circle. If tree's are down and power is out that could be a huge problem if they want to dock. If the dockworkers can't get to work.........

1067572165_ScreenShot2014-10-12at9_45_02AM.jpg.9dc92e34749980ece27333d400d11477.jpg

Edited by Laszlo

As of 9:45 AM the Dawn is headed Northwest away from Bermuda. Maybe doing a large circle. If tree's are down and power is out that could be a huge problem if they want to dock. If the dockworkers can't get to work.........

That position is 50 minutes old... No new AIS position since 9am....

Not sure if my reply hit a minute or go or not, sorry if this turns out to be a duplicate! We, too, ran into Hurricane Ivan while on our honeymoon in 2004. We were on the what was then known as the Norwegian Sea (no longer in the fleet & sold), & while we changed course in an attempt to get away from Ivan, he rudely woke us up at 4am when our TV came crashing down from it's little corner perch smack down on top of our bed! LOL. The 40 ft waves were amazing but didn't last more than a few hours as we continued on the new course. We were scheduled to go to Cancun but wound up going to Cozumel instead as the port in Cancun was closed due to the storm.

Just returned from our 10th anniversary cruise on the Dawn (8/29 - 9/7), & am wondering the same thing as to why they didn't divert like the Breakaway did during the Hurricane threat the end of August just before our cruise out of Boston. With their saying the weather is supposed to improve as the storm is now moving away, maaaaaybe with it being too late to head to Port Canaveral & Nassau, they decided to circle until the winds die down & they can get into the ship channel while banking on the weather prediction for improved conditions over the next couple of days until they leave late Tuesday afternoon? On the other hand, now that 18,000 are without power & transportation canceled, there's not going to be a lot of opportunity for passengers to get off the ship anyway. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Hope everyone on board is doing well yet at the same time, I'm really glad it's they who are on board & not us! I feel for them!

Edited by fonekween

It would be dangerous for the dockworkers at this point. The ship will have to wait it out at sea, or go elsewhere.

Oh yes... No one wants to stand on the dock with high wind like that for sure...

With 27 000 person with the power out and many roads bloked by fallen trees, maybe the workers can't reach the dock anyway.

I know there is a regulation on max wind speed for the cruise ship to enter the channel leading to the Dockyard...I bet they are not even alowed to enter it yet.

At this point Bermuda is the only option for this cruise...worst case they will have to loose a day on the Island ( happened to me when Leslie hit Bermuda and cutting my 3 days to 2 )

This just posted about 12 minutes ago on the Port of Bermuda webcam's page on Facebook:

Port Bermuda Webcam

11 minutes ago

Norwegian Dawn and Grandeur of the Seas are approaching, both around 20+ NM north of Bermuda. Follow them on our embedded Marine Traffic map. Turn on the wind speed layer to get a feel for the conditions. Snapshot from Dawn's bridge cam below. http://www.ncl.com/shipcams/dawncam/Fullsize.jpg ... unclear how they can dock in these conditions!

She's turned around and is on her way back.

[ATTACH]327681[/ATTACH]

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

It looks like both ships are just biding their time north of Bermuda.

Conditions on the Bermuda port webcam look much better than before, but still not great.

The bigger problem might be whether the Bermuda dock workers and transportation system can accommodate two ships arriving without much time to clean up, get electrical power restored to everyone on the island first, etc.

The sea conditions from the Dawn webcam look better, thank goodness.

But has NCL put out anything yet to tell family members/friends of passengers what is happening? I don't see anything on NCL.com at this point.

GeezerCouple

It now looks like the ships (Dawn & Grandeur of the Seas) are now circling clockwise around to the south of Bermuda.

The harbor Webcam is looking quite calm now, although who knows about Island infrastructure (roads, power?).

I guess this is the best way to get to the channel the ships must take to enter the harbor, if the storm is heading somewhat north.

Hope they arrive in a few hours.

Anyone heard anything official from NCL yet?

(We had arranged a sailboat charter for late the first afternoon last month, and it was exactly something like this that worried us.)

GeezerCouple

Weather is clearing...blue skies & the sun is out! Yay! The guys running the Port of Bermuda webcam have done a fantastic job today. The Dawn should be navigating the ship channel soon if she's not already.

Update from the Royal Gazette about 3 hours ago:

The aftermath of Tropical Storm Fay has forced two cruise liners to delay their arrival into Bermuda.

The Grandeur of the Seas and the Norwegian Dawn were both due to come to the Island today.

But the tail end of the Tropical Storm has forced both vessels to put back their arrival while final checks on the channels as well as the wharfs at Dockyard are being carried out.

It is expected that if the weather continues to clear, both ships will come into Dockyard later this afternoon.