Ebola Virus

Total deaths from ebola ~ maybe 4,000, if we're getting accurate counts from Africa . . .

Deaths in the US from influenza ~ averages 23,600 per year.

Honestly, I'm more concrened with the moron on the ship who doesn't wash their hands than I am of ebola.

Total deaths from ebola ~ maybe 4,000, if we're getting accurate counts from Africa . . .

Honestly, I'm more concrened with the moron on the ship who doesn't wash their hands than I am of ebola.

How many people contract the flu and survive? How many people contract Ebola and survive?

Dont' know if I'm the only one, but I'm a little nervous about traveling in a few weeks for our cruise :(

I'm a little nervous myself but I won't cancel my January cruise. And as someone mentioned letting the airports do their thing is true but there are many people who drive to the cruise ports.

Edited by lady_cruiser

How about this

Each year on average in the United States, norovirus—

• causes 19–21 million cases of acute gastroenteritis (inflammation of the stomach or intestines or both)

Anyone else concerned? Especially with this latest news of the nurse who purposely flew with a fever from Cleveland to Dallas?

I cruise in 11 days and I am NOT excited anymore....

I can tell you being from the Cleveland area that she also flew from Dallas on Wednesday to Cleveland , traveled about 30 South to Akron Ohio to visit family then flew back to Dallas from Cleveland on Monday.

The strange thinks is Frontier employees have face mask on then when they see the TV cameras they remove them but once they think they are off camera the mask are on again.

2nd Healthcare worker now witih Ebola flew into the Akron Ohio area

CDC says she should not have been on the Frontier Airline Flight

Supposedly the health care workers who dealt with the gentleman from Liberia were told NOT to fly.

This woman flew twice when she was supposed to be monitoring herself.

Did she think it didn't apply to her.

NOW, after reading this story, I am seriously considering canceling my three cruises in Europe. I have until Feb. 3 to do so and will be keeping an eye on the news in case there are other foolish people like this nurse.

Supposedly the health care workers who dealt with the gentleman from Liberia were told NOT to fly.

This woman flew twice when she was supposed to be monitoring herself.

Did she think it didn't apply to her.

Exactly

WKYC in Cleveland is reporting that the Cleveland Airport was ready so such an event however

employees now say never were NEVER TOLD about this until the media showed up at the airport.

Mistakes

Mistakes !

Edited by TheMiz

What about the flight to Cleveland why are they only concerned about the Cleveland to Dallas flight

How long ago did she fly to Cleveland? Ebola is only contagious if the patient is symptomatic. If she did not have symptoms yet when she flew to Cleveland, then she would not have been contagious yet

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How long ago did she fly to Cleveland? Ebola is only contagious if the patient is symptomatic. If she did not have symptoms yet when she flew to Cleveland, then she would not have been contagious yet

Unfortunately we are realizing this is more misinformation. WHO indicated yesterday incubation period could be as much as 6 weeks and it could be spread even prior to symptoms showing themselves.

One thing I know for sure, the story changes daily :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That would be Friday

I do understand what you are saying about not being contagious or symptomtic

but they are are trying to contact others who have flown with her, they keep repeating that she was NOT SYMTOMITIC

This may be confusing but dh and I are both replying on this thread.

She flew, did her visit according to the news I just read it was to deal with her upcoming wedding. This was in spite of being told she shouldn't fly commercial air anywhere!

Because she reported her low grade fever, showing up at emergency a few hours after she touched back down in Dallas AFTER her trip, that self reporting of her fever is in question. Anyone who ignored the rules not to fly for 21 days may not tell the truth about WHEN she noticed her low grade fever, which is the first sign of Ebola in someone who is self monitoring.

She had no VISIBLE signs of illness on that flight as the news people are reporting, but nobody else took her temp so it isn't verified that she was fully asymptomatic. Therefore according to the CDC she could well have started shedding viruses.

All this makes my original point for me. Screening temps at 5 airports isn't enough.

Better airline cleaning between flights and maybe the CDC needs to quarantine non compliant people like Dr Nancy Snyderman who broke quarantine to go out for take out food or this nurse who felt wedding plans might be more important than the health and safety of others.

I still feel fine about cruising, and now that this has happened, I hope the airline industry improves it's cleaning procedures in between flights.

I think they probably will after this news got out.

She flew, did her visit according to the news I just read it was to deal with her upcoming wedding. This was in spite of being told she shouldn't fly commercial air anywhere!

Because she reported her low grade fever, showing up at emergency a few hours after she touched back down in Dallas AFTER her trip, that self reporting of her fever is in question. Anyone who ignored the rules not to fly for 21 days may not tell the truth about WHEN she noticed her low grade fever, which is the first sign of Ebola in someone who is self monitoring.

She had no VISIBLE signs of illness on that flight as the news people are reporting, but nobody else took her temp so it isn't verified that she was fully asymptomatic. Therefore according to the CDC she could well have started shedding viruses.

All this makes my original point for me. Screening temps at 5 airports isn't enough.

Better airline cleaning between flights and maybe the CDC needs to quarantine non compliant people like Dr Nancy Snyderman who broke quarantine to go out for take out food or this nurse who felt wedding plans might be more important than the health and safety of others.

I still feel fine about cruising, and now that this has happened, I hope the airline industry improves it's cleaning procedures in between flights.

OK THE CDC IS NOW ASKING FOR anyone on flight 1142 to contact them that is the flight that was Dallas to Cleveland.

They are now transfering her to Atlanta

How many cruisers lie on they CDC forms we fill out before our cruises.

I think a lot do lie on that form. It may be a wise idea for the cruise lines to do the body scan temperature that they use now in the airports. It's a no touch device, and the passenger can then be evaluated for other indicators.

I still think cruising is safe. What dh didn't say in his first post and the one above, was that when we cancelled one cruise due to concerns over airline cleanliness, we booked 3 more cruises in it's place. All out of a port near us that we can easily drive to.

They are also reporting if the news can be believed that for the first few days of taking care of Duncan that the proper precautions may not have been in place. These two nurses may have been dressed in their usual uniform of scrubs. This was at a time when he wss most contagious. They are also reporting that 3 of her family members work at Kent State University. They are being asked not to return to work for awhile. I guess we will see how this plays out.

Sue

the airplane is the most dangerous & apparently airport staff is afraid to ask questions of those flying especially if they can be accused of discrimination

We cruise next Thursday and I have to say I am concerned and a bit anxious. Even more anxious about the flights especially since we have a layover both ways in Atlanta. Needless to say, this concern has taken away a lot of my excitement for our trip. My DH doesn't agree with me at all though.

Trish