Ebola Virus

I read she went to Ohio to visit family and her fiance.......IF this is true they better quarantine that guy ASAP.

I am about 25 miles away from there this so called nurse visited

( my two daughters are nurses and the first they both said was

"why is she flying...........? ) Her fiance was never mentioned in the 7 straight hours of this on going reports.

I was a bit concerned too about flying and the cruise ship itself, but in reality if you look at how this is spread and you beef up your own cleanliness protocol (washing hands, using towel to open door, use sanitizer etc.) you should be ok. On the flight I might bring some Lysol wipes to at least wipe down my chair, table, maybe even my cabin a bit (which a lot of cruisers do already)

Work with my travel companion to remind each other not to touch our face/noise/mouth etc. when we cannot wash properly. Keep hand sanitizer close while in port.

And just simply pay attention to your surroundings – and if someone is sick with actual Ebola symptoms, I would imagine they would be too sick to travel. I understand about the lady that did – but just saying in the case where they are having major symptoms which would make it even more transmissible.

Save travels everyone

Unfortunately we live in a world where we believe the Media way too much. I have a trip planned in three weeks to Europe and of course I'm not scared to travel.

We needs to take precautions such as washing our hands with warm water and soap for 25 seconds, use hand sanitizers and avoid people who are sick or appear to be sick. Remember a 6 foot buffer zone. But sometimes we cannot avoid sick people and therefore should consider wearing a surgical mask.

My 2 cents is to trust your gut feeling and to really think what are your chances of getting a disease such as Ebola etc.

Also I suggest getting your annual flu shot and any other vaccinations. While there is no vaccine for Ebola I hope the US CDC will step up their ante to avoid any case of Ebola.

If you go to the CDC website you will see where to avoid travel and I would not go out of my way to go to the affected areas where Ebola is present. I follow the CDC requirements to avoid to the best of my ability areas that could be a potential health risk.

I'm not a medical professional but I do believe in preventative measures.

I read she went to Ohio to visit family and her fiance.......IF this is true they better quarantine that guy ASAP.

she had to know she was getting ill when she flew commercial ....

her denial might have been working overtime but now there are others at risk

I am about 25 miles away from there this so called nurse visited

( my two daughters are nurses and the first they both said was

"why is she flying...........? ) Her fiance was never mentioned in the 7 straight hours of this on going reports.

Well they just confirmed it (Brian Williams)on NBC news tonight. She definitely went to see her fiance. It was also confirmed she had a fever during the flight back.

FYI..I am not sure why you use the term "so called nurse" because yes she is definitely a nurse and one who works at the same hospital in Texas the other infected nurse works at.

Edited by rolloman
add info.

I retired from that little ole airline based in Atlanta 2 years ago. I am so glad I am not flying anymore, and concerned for my friends that are still flying. There is no doubt we should ban all flights from West Africa NOW!

If Ebola cases start to spread in this country I suspect the Airline and Cruise Industry will be greatly impacted!

We all need to call for our Government to enact a travel ban NOW! Act NOW and ask questions later.

Well they just confirmed it (Brian Williams)on NBC news tonight. She definitely went to see her fiance. It was also confirmed she had a fever during the flight back.

That is odd since WKYC is the NBC Cleveland Station

At 11pm they still say she only was with family and all 3 family members are on 21 day leave from Kent State .

They are now at 11:17pm that she flew into Cleveland with a 99.something fever , she claims she contacted the CDC to advise them of her fever and she was given the ok to fly .

We are weighing cancelling our trip on 1/3/15. Our final pay is on 10/20/14. If I buy the cruise care insurance from RCCL with the cancel for any reason, it would offer some protection, but it would be in the form of a credit that must be used within 12 months. If I cancel now, I keep my cash to use at a later date if everything calms down. Torn:(.

My biggest concern is that if you do wind up on a ship with a verified ebola case who would let you dock? Stop and think about it. What country would willingly allow thousands of possibly infected people to debark on their shores? There is a high probability that they would quarantine the whole ship - that scares the bejeezus out of me...

Reality - This is overblown by the media. It is something for everyone to be aware of, precautions and measures need to be placed. This will be yesterdays news at some point.

Fact - University of Minnesota Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy has released the recommendation for healthcare workers who are helping with Ebola patients to wear respirators, not face masks. Optimal respirators to be exact. Can be found on their website.

Assumption - If the government had knowledge that the Ebola virus strain now being seen in the US is more contagious, it would be in the best interest of the global economy to keep that on the wraps.

Points - As for people comparing this to HIV, HIV is not highly contagious. Ebola is. We are being told it is not airborne, but it is still highly contagious as compared to HIV. Nurses and Dr's working with HIV patients do not use hazmat gear and there has not been a case of any of the workers getting HIV. Ebola nurses have been infected even tho they were using extreme caution including full hazmat gear.

My Plan - Continue to travel, see the world and enjoy my precious life.

As long as the two nurses who are infected either fight off the virus or die,and no one else gets infected from treating them, and no one with Ebola enters the US, everything will be fine. <br />

<br />

I really don't understand why people are canceling their cruises. There is a similar thread on the Carnival boards and they are discussing canceling too. My next cruise is in 2016, so we will see how things go. <br />

<br />

I will not give up my hump balcony until Ebola poses a real threat to cruises! :)<br/>

Anyone remember SARS? Swine flu?

Interesting that you make that comment considering you live in a country that makes people who want to move there jump through hoops to prove they are healthy and not bringing diseases with them. I know as I've had to do medical clearances for people moving to Australia.

Interesting that you make that comment considering you live in a country that makes people who want to move there jump through hoops to prove they are healthy and not bringing diseases with them. I know as I've had to do medical clearances for people moving to Australia.

I don't think any Australian would make any apologies for that! We are lucky to live on an island (a rather large island!) which is free of many diseases -whether related to human, animals or crops. For example, the world bee population is under threat and that threatens the production of many other food crops. Australia (so far) is free of the problem. So yes we are careful to preserve this situation.

On the other hand, we also have a large number of poisonous animals to contend with :) No place is perfect!

Edited by jenibor

the airplane is the most dangerous & apparently airport staff is afraid to ask questions of those flying especially if they can be accused of discrimination

Discrimination?

It is my understanding that we are all equal to One another

So ask anyone....regardless of what they look like based on race

We have all been equalized

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With all these knowledgeable experts chiming in I'm afraid I may not have anything to add.

However, if you want to know what Royal is doing, simply ask them. It's a simple as that. You will at least get information as good as what is in this thread.

Rev

How many people will die this year from influenza? Strokes? Heart disease? Cancer? Gun violence? Automobile collisions? Lightning strikes? Alien abduction? Sasquatch attacks?

Keep it real, folks.

When was the last time someone died from treating or being near a stroke victim? Cancer patient heart attack victim? However I do have a concern that those things could happen and curtain vacation plans for me

Flu is different and the other things you mention are random albeit all to frequent acts

Now go back to ignoring what informed individuals are concerned about and the potential issues they may cause

Have you heard yet today about the airliner in Madrid that is grounded and quarantined?

Edited by luvtheships

How many people will die this year from influenza? Strokes? Heart disease? Cancer? Gun violence? Automobile collisions? Lightning strikes? Alien abduction? Sasquatch attacks?

Keep it real, folks.

I am with you!!! Media always over hypes these things. I don't bother reading or listening to it. If it's something local and very urgent I will find out.

There are so many of those alien abductions that go unreported, that's what you really should be worried about LOL

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app

Ebola is the just the latest hogboblin du jour, along with ISIS. Next week it'll be something else. Gotta keep the sheeple scared and confused, that's the media's prime directive - and the politicians.

When I heard 'Ebola' used as a laugh line during last night's Florida Governor's debate, I knew it was too late...

Edited by AlanFromFL

Ebola is the just the latest hogboblin du jour, along with ISIS. Next week it'll be something else. Gotta keep the sheeple scared and confused, that's the media's prime directive - and the politicians.

When I heard 'Ebola' used as a laugh line during last night's Florida Governor's debate, I knew it was too late...

I actually do agree with you here

But it still bothers me that the current divisive tactic is a killer.

Trying to get a handle on what is going on here

Torn between it being a massive ploy and/or coverup and it being the real serious thing

😞

Keep it real, folks.

What's the mortality rate for influenza? I can't catch a stroke or heart disease from someone that was in my airplane seat before me. Gun violence and automobile accidents are not diseases.

For Ebola the CDC can't seem to nail down an actual number but the average mortality rate is around 50%. In worldwide outbreaks the numbers are between 25% and 90% fatality. The Ebola virus can live for several hours on dried surfaces such as armrests, door handles, tray tables, seat cushions. People that should know how to prevent it are becoming ill with it. That's real.