Do It Tuesday...... Don't Procrastinate - Do You Want to Board That Ship?

sail7seas

I think you are picking nits. :D My message was understandable.

Was this post that confusing? :confused: My use of "might", "many" and "some" indicated there is variation.

As to re-entry into U.S., a U.S. citizen can use their passport right up to the expiration day. I think I stated each country decides their own entry regulations and many have the six months rule. I would not want to be the person whose plane was diverted from a country that did not have the six months rule to a country that did because of any travel interruptions. In this crazy world, the more one provides for themselves in advance the smoother their experiences are likely to evolve.

If you want to save three or four months on your passport, go for it. You won't be alone, I am sure.

I am sorry if my restatement of what you said upset you, that wasn't my intent. I felt that the emphasis in your post was misplaced and responded accordingly. It doesn't hurt to have the same information presented a different way, does it? And since I am the type to use a pair of vice grips to get the last bit of toothpaste out of the tube:o I expect that once I do have a passport I will not be renewing it until I need to renew it and not a day sooner (allowing ample time for "speedy" government processing, of course).

The good news is that a (recently)expired passport will still allow you to easily renew in the US. Our passports expire in October 2017. We will cruise in Feb 2017, but are unlikely to cruise again after that until the holidays. As a result, we will probably send our renewal applications in right at expiration that year.

Guest maddycat
I keep our passports and all other important documents in a fire safe box. They stay there until the night before we leave home then go in a special pocked in my purse along with our boarding passes for the flights.

Mary Lou

That is exactly what I do.........fire safe box to purse along with set sail pass.

That is exactly what I do.........fire safe box to purse along with set sail pass.

That is what I do as well. Our renewed passports arrived today and after checking them for accuracy, especially the 2024 expiration date :) we signed them and promptly put them in the portable fireproof box.

Two or three days before travel I put them and other travel documents in my large travel purse.

Edited by NMLady

Thanks for the Idea! I think I'll give my young adult children fire - safe boxes for Christmas this year. I've been trying to figure out what to give them. Next year is a cruise over New Years. I've paid for their last passport, since they are now adults and trying to be self supporting, but I'm sure they don't have a good fire - safe box to keep documents in.

one day soon they will all be electronic docs and you can just download them to your smartphone, whenever, wherever.

I would rather have the hard copy book when I finally get one. I still don't fully trust all this hi-tech stuff:o.

I would rather have the hard copy book when I finally get one. I still don't fully trust all this hi-tech stuff:o.

:D I'm with you. I still use my centuries old flip phone and even that very rarely. :o

And make sure you have your own passports.

A couple years ago we crossed over to Windsor Ontario by car with my husband's sister and her husband. When returning to the USA, the border guard handed all four passports back to my husband who gave them to me. I was POSITIVE I kept ours and gave the other two to my BIL.

A couple days before we were to leave for a cruise we got a phone call from my SIL. They had my passport.

"Do It Tuesday...... Don't Procrastinate - Do You Want to Board That Ship?"

Why Tuesday?

Because I posted it on Columbus Day Weekend and most State and Federal Offfices were closed on Monday as were banks and their safe deposit boxes. :)

Great tip! I scan mine in color and have them available via email and in my photos on my phone. Then I put all my documents in a booklet with my boarding passes and luggage tags, and I stick them right on top in my luggage. When I go to place my toiletries in the bag the day of, I'll pull them out. Already packed.... Setting sail Oct 23rd!!!

I scan ours and then send them to my Kindle. Then they go back in the file. When I need to complete the online check-in I don't need to take out the books (and potentially misplace them) I just read them off my Kindle.