Please Tell Me About The Prinsendam

roadbeagle

Regarding the E category cabins on lower promenade on Prinsendam: Are these cabins the same size as other outside cabins on Prinsendam? And how much is one on display in the cabin to those walking the deck on lower prom? And thirdly, how much noise does one get from the theatre that is just above?

Thanks,

D

We were in an E cabin last year for 14 days. We loved the cabin and the position.

We heard no noise at all from the show room.

You can not see in the cabin windows. During the daytime the window looks like a mirror from the outside (an officer used our window to check his hair one day. I was sitting right inside the window only inches away from him!!!!) At night time the deck lights mean that you still cannot easily see in the windows.

We have had the pleasure of many days on the P'dam - think we are over 200 now. We do love the size but please know she is showing her age. You have to check out the Pinnacle Grill as the walls are rosewood and gorgeous. The captain told us on 1 cruise that due to safety regulations, they can never build such a room again. Love the walk-in closets and refrigerators in each cabin. Also appreciate the multiple choices for an outside cabin with a large shower and no tub which is so much easier for me to get in and out of each time - but her standard room does seem a bit smaller than the other ships. Miss the outside eating area off the Lido. The enclosed area, which converts to the Canelletto in the evening, is nice but the ventilation has to work extra hard to try to keep it cool or warm, depending on where you are cruising.

You should have a wonderful transatlantic cruise as her shape is unique and allows for a much smoother ride should you encounter rough seas.

I'd say there was a little more variety of food, but I attribute that to the fact that we were on the last segment of a Grand Med voyage. As far as quality of food or service I saw no appreciable difference.

If you "can only compare her to the Amsterdam" then you can not possibly know first hand how she compares to the Ryndam and Maasdam. DW and I have been on 10 other HAL ships, four of them two or more times, and repeat that in our opinion the P'dam resembles the S-class ships a great deal, except in size.

There are many reasons why a ship becomes a favorite of an individual. I believe many of the P'dam aficionados are attracted by the unique ports she can visit as much as by the ship itself.

I like the ship - as I do all HAL ships to varying degrees - but would only pay premium prices again for a unique itinerary.

People like Prinsendam because of her size. Her public rooms are somewhat lovelier than the newer HAL ships. Even though I've never been on Maasdam, I seriously doubt if she is nicer than Amsterdam, which has a great reputation and is used for lengthy voyages. I don't understand how one could be partial to a cruise ship because of it's unique ports. Possibly because she can dock at more ports, and she is easier to get off and on,because of her size. I've been on over 25 cruises, including a couple of luxury cruises so I think I am qualified to to give some sort of opinion. And, I've read these boards enough to know what other people think of the HAL fleet.

You have the right to your opinion. Even though Prinsendam has the highest repeat passenger rate, there are others here who feel as you do...that she is not worth the extra bucks. That's fine...it is your opinion. A person who feels as you do about Prinsendam has no more credence than a person who can only compare her to one other HAL ship (excluding the original Noordam, which we liked!) Saying people like Prinsendam only because of her unique ports makes no sense....we are talking about a ship. People who don't notice what sets her apart of course would not think she is worth the extra bucks. That part does make sense. How about this....I can compare her to a luxury line. That should be worth something...

Are you saying Maasdam and the now defunct Ryndam are superior to Amsterdam?

I really appreciate all the comments that have been posted. I am getting excited about exploring a new ship. We have always talked about wanting to sail on the Prinsendam and the TA was priced just right. Thank you all for sharing your love of the Prinsendam.

Even though I've never been on Maasdam, I seriously doubt if she is nicer than Amsterdam, which has a great reputation and is used for lengthy voyages.
I didn't say any ship was "nicer" than any other. I simply said the P'dam is similar to two specific S class ships.

I don't understand how one could be partial to a cruise ship because of it's unique ports.

I don't understand why you don't understand that. I believe many if not most people choose a cruise ship for the first time because of a particular itinerary. The P's unique itineraries are a prime reason (but not the only reason) that many people return.

... so I think I am qualified to to give some sort of opinion.

Certainly. But I am far more qualified than you are to say that the P'dam resembles the Ryndam and Maasdam because you have never been on either one.

Saying people like Prinsendam only because of her unique ports makes no sense....

And I never said that. I said that the unique ports are one factor in attracting aficionados.

Are you saying Maasdam and the now defunct Ryndam are superior to Amsterdam?

No, I am not. I am simply saying that Prinsendam resembles the Ryndam and Maasdam sufficiently that only a unique itinerary would cause me to choose the Prinsendam over those two ships.

We have always talked about wanting to sail on the Prinsendam and the TA was priced just right.
Don't get me wrong ... we liked the P'dam a lot, and I'm sure you will too ... but were disappointed that it wasn't a whole lot more "elegant" than some other HAL ships. We believed the hype too much. Edited by jtl513

I think Jacqui would be the person to ask that question. She sails Maasdam as well, in the Caribbean. I am quite sure she always says Prinsendam steps it up a notch, similar to what Ruth has said. I generally don't trust the opinions of those who say Prinsendam is similar to the other HAL ships, because it just isn't true. You wouldn't have a large group of repeat passengers paying a premium to sail her otherwise. I can only compare her to Amsterdam. Better food and service. The service and food is much better than Regent's Navigator.

When Prinsendam is sold, we will probably sail HAL's midsize ships. I will let you know then!

I've spent over 150 days on the Maasdam, from when she was launched until recently, and I'll be sailing the P-dam for the second time next month and am booked on the Maasdam for 50 days in October 2015. They are not at all alike. The Prinsendam is unique, not a "cookie cutter" ship. The interior is one thing. The hull is unique. I'm non-apologetic about being one of those HAL passengers who will keep sailing the smaller ships of the line until they're taken out of service or sold off (or until I "kick off!"_

have another cruise on the Ryndam in Jan. P'dam is coming up in Dec. and looking forward to this unique ship and sailing the Caribbean again because of the new islands that it goes to. I guess that they do the holidays better than the rest of the fleet and I have heard that they have special evenings and menus that are different from other HAL ships.

Edited by SeaBands

We paid a large premium for 14 days on the Prinsendam this past July and I say loud and clear never again. I did not see a value added component. Someone mentioned they got Yorkshire pudding as a bonus, not worth twice the price for me. The dinner menus appeared standard for HAL. The MDR food at dinner was mostly good with some entrees pretty bad. A few things were very good. I did not see a premium in food, it was standard. We had very good service in the MDR when we went very early. If we dined later service was still good but nothing special. Lido food was standard for the line, lots of rotisserie chicken. The poolside grill had the same cheap burgers, hot dogs and brats but the deli meat was substandard, it was very bad. There was no table side service in the Lido, we jumped up and down for beverages and anything missing. The lido was very understaffed! one guy bussing tables. I thought the ship was unattractive, I love cruise ships but this one was too old in the tooth for me. There were several areas on the ship with distinct musty smells. Our cabin was nice. The PDam had no padded loungers poolside, instead there were cheap plastic and metal ones.

We sailed Ryndam the previous summer 14 days, we booked the same cabin category with the same travel agency and thought it was a lovely ship, great value for the money. We paid a little more than half the price of the Prinsendam. I actually thought the captain, cruise director, culinary hostess were top notch, as was the crew.

If anyone wants a premium experience try Oceania as many of us have done. I think HAL is good value for the per diem with the exception of the Prinsendam. Think outside the box if you want a premium experience.

Edited by sammiedawg

We paid a large premium for 14 days on the Prinsendam this past July and I say loud and clear never again. I did not see a value added component.
I definitely agree. The only things I liked better on the P'dam than on the Ryndam or Maasdam were the newly enclosed aft end of the Lido, the Oak Room, and the variety of cheeses in the Lido at lunchtime. I thought the walk-in closet that so many people deem a plus gave us less room for hanging clothes than the standard three closets on other ships because of the way the two hanger bars are mounted at right angles. I thought the dining room was very noisy with the low, hard ceiling.

If anyone wants a premium experience try Oceania as many of us have done.

I did. Oceania did not live up to the hype. The food was all right, but nothing out of this world. Thanksgiving dinner was terrible. Service was not as good as on HAL (except for my cabin steward, who was Indonesian). There was no warmth from the stewards; not one of them ever used my name in the entire two weeks.

No thanks. It will have to be a spectacular itinerary, at an excellent price, for me to go back to Oceania. The value is just not there.

We have sailed on all of the ships in this discussion and I think they are mostly similar, especially when compared to the cabins on other cruise lines. The Prinsendam is somewhat unique and here are some of the things we like about it:

1. The floorplan is better than Maasdam/Ryndam-- the sitting area is next to the window for Ocean View cabins. The closets are nice.

2. The enclosed Canelleto area is a big improvement.

3. The itineraries are longer and (IMHO) more interesting.

I'm not a big fan of the MDR layout. It seems noisier than other ships. There's probably some advantage to the smaller ship size, but I don't see a big change in how this affects things overall. We've noticed a much bigger difference when the ship size gets into the 400-500 passenger range (or smaller).

We've been on Transatlantics on the P-dam and they were fine. By the way, on our last voyage we were told that Holland intended to keep the P-dam for 4 more years. That comment probably doesn't mean anything, as they could change their minds any time, especially if they get a decent offer to buy it.

Short/sweet answer... she feels like every other HAL boat. She is attractive w/o being gaudy. HAL keeps their experience the same through their fleet.

IMO she's about the smallest I'd sail on any longer as she doesn't feel small. You step down to the less than 600' boats and it feels like you're going to be asked to man the oars to get up to sailing speed.

YMMV

Several years ago I took a TA on Prinsendam - 16 days I believe. I've been sailing since the 1970's(my name refers to Rotterdam V - now that was a class ocean liner all around) and actually that was my last HAL cruise(I have over 40 cruises w/ HAL since 1976).

1. the ship was built for a luxury line mean to sail the 7 seas(as opposed to the HAL cruise ships now sailing). Relatives actually did a full world cruise when the ship was called the Seabourn Sun. She sails beautifully and handles the waves better than the Amsterdam & Rotterdam - certainly better than any other HAL ship - simply due to the design.

2. Even when Carnivore started to butcher the ship by adding more cabins & modern revenue generating venues - the ship still shows signs of modern class & spaciousness. That is a luxury in & of itself not to have thousands of passengers around.

3. The Indonesian crew are & have always been wonderful - unfortunately again Carnivore has cut back so much the poor people are worked to death.

4. Food is subjective - so if you are familiar w/ HAL menus - they are the same fleet wide for the most part. You'll find SOMETHING to eat - but its not the RITZ.

5 Our last time on the Veendam was because it was the last ship to dock in Hamilton Bermuda - something we had done since the mid 1970's. It was also when I swore off HAL - the Retreat area is bizarre - why take out a pool area(ok they put in a splash puddle/ pool) on a ship that spends much of the year in hot climates - oh that's right to add more staterooms below it. Also once a ships HVAC system is played with it is never the same - that's why so many of the ships have heat & cooling issues - Prinsendam also has issues but on the TA I never had an issue w/ my outside midship cabin.

6. The ship is old & so are all its plants - yes there were leaks & in a couple of areas sewage odor. Carnivore just uses the ships til they ring the last cent out of them - Veendam is an example(and yet its being transferred to another branch of the Carnivore Corp).

7. In conclusion I was glad I sailed on HAL - you won't see another ship like her. Someone mentioned Carnivore wants another 4 years out of her...good luck!

8. As far as a "premium" line & cost - HAL certainly is more of a Holiday Inn experience and w/ per diems as they are - you certainly can't stay in a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton Hotel for the same amount so don't expect the same experience.

Go, enjoy.......

1. The floorplan is better than Maasdam/Ryndam-- the sitting area is next to the window for Ocean View cabins.

But the bathroom door is right next to the bed. Did not like that at all. In the S and R class ships we have the OV beds split into twins to give us easy access to the window.

The closets are nice.
I disagree. We never have any trouble hanging all our stuff on other ships, but did on the P because of the way the hanger bars cross. We couldn't use 1/2 of the length of the shorter bar, and it was a pain getting to things that were in the dead corner. Edited by jtl513

One thing that should be mentioned is that the inside cabins are really small. There is no sitting area unless you sit on the bed. There are two single beds aligned in an L shape. We usually book inside cabins on HAL, but for our next cruise on Prinsendam (which we loved), we booked an outside, which was much larger. We just came from the Sapphire Princess, a ship about four times larger than Prinsendam. But her library was maybe a third the size as Prinsendam's really elegant one.

One thing that should be mentioned is that the inside cabins are really small. There is no sitting area unless you sit on the bed. There are two single beds aligned in an L shape. We usually book inside cabins on HAL, but for our next cruise on Prinsendam (which we loved), we booked an outside, which was much larger....

There are now 6 inside cabins on the Prinsendam Promenade Deck which are somewhat larger with a sofa, easy chair and beds which can be set together or apart.

Scott & Kabin

There are now 6 inside cabins on the Prinsendam Promenade Deck which are somewhat larger ...
In fact two of them used to be SY suites before all the AB cabins were added, and the other four are larger inside than the AB cabins. Edited by jtl513

Did our first Prinsendam cruise this past Sept. for 14 days from Imujiden to Barcelona. Loved the ship. Took an upsale to a verandah and were very glad we did. I enjoyed the walk in closet and found it more than adequate for our clothes. I thought the Crow's nest was the perfect place for the Piano Bar player. Could seat more people than a regular piano bar and the sound was excellent. Felt that is was an extra show each night!! I thought the area where the Canelleto was a great spot. On our cruise they were still offering the old menu! But we were told that was changing soon. Also thought the Pinacle Grill was very light and bright as had window seating.

We chose the Prinsendam for the itinerary and were very glad we did. Crew was exceptional but we have never had a bad crew on any HAL cruises. Our roll call was very active. Being that the ship was smaller, we ran into people we had met more often. :D We are looking at other Prinsendam cruises. Would definitely sail again if the time and place was something we were interested in.

And Ruth...I enjoyed being so close to the bathroom, also!!! ;)

We Are in Cesme and I am sitting next to Windstar cruisers who tell me that the Prinsendam signal for wifi is better than theirs:D

Seriously, along with great itineraries the Prinsendam offers other advantages. Our current itinerary called for five tender ports. We hate using tenders (or as my husband calls them, the roughens)

Of those five tender ports we have docked three times.

Talk to any officer I the ship and they will tell you proudly that this ship was built for quality. The steel is thicker, the ship's bow is shaped to cut through the waves and much better than the other HAL ships, and, in fact many other ships in many fleets.

She has more space per passenger and a higher crew ratio. I have our first cruise log and it was over one crew member for every two passengers

The crew is superb and because of the size, they know you quickly. At the cellar master dinners and the wine tastings, they have offered me. My choice of white wine when the Reds came out. They know I have to be careful with red wine. (Just an example)

Lobster tails are still opened and cut for you. Fish is still filleted. Little things.

We sail this ship for the ambience, the service and the itineraries.

She is still our favourite ship in the fleet.

As Dh says, it's like coming home and so comfortable.

She's had some sprucing up since the last time we were on and the rosewood in the MDR and Pinnacle Grill still glows.

Are we ready to get off? NO;);). But the tags have arrived so that means the time will soon be up.

I will do a synopsis at the end of my live thread on the good, the bad and the ugly:D.

Live from the Prinsendam in the port of Cesme, Turkey