Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread

Andy

Guidelines reminder:

...The harassment of our members is not allowed.

Cruise Critic is committed to providing an online environment that is free from these types of harassing postings. Please, don't attack another poster or group of posters. Do not harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything else to another member that is unwanted. This means: don't say bad things about them... If you disagree with someone, respond to the subject, not the person. Postings of this nature will be removed from the boards.

Gawd I love this thread! Going on our very first cruise on Saturday (Reflection) and we plan to eat in the MDR every night EXCEPT the formal nights. I have no intention of bringing a jacket with me but have no difficulty in dressing smart casual. We have no hesitation to eating in the buffet those 2 nights. Celebrity has a dress code and I for one will respect it as it causes me no pain to do so. If they wanted me to dress up every night in some more formal attire then I would not have booked my trip with them.

Yes, the whole dress code argument is somewhat exaggerated. I've had more issues with dress codes on other supposedly down-market cruise lines than I have ever had on Celebrity. I'm happy to pay the extra to cruise in AQ and avoid all the hassle and the smart-casual code is easy to adhere to.

I do agree with the poster who complained about the large cost of specialty restaurants for people travelling as a group, and whenever I eat dinner in the buffet (for whatever reason) I feel I am not really getting my money's worth.

However, the important thing to remember is that Celebrity provides options. Specialty (including Bistro on 5 which is dirt cheap), AQ, buffet or room service are all available for those who don't like being forced into formal wear.

I love to argue about dress codes for the fun of it, but one of the reasons I choose Celebrity is because the formal dress code is always optional so long as you avoid the MDR. I'd prefer it to be optional everywhere but you can't have everything and some other cruise lines do not make these options so readily available.

Edited by gek

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! 😮 I stopped reading this thread part way in. There are some really unpleasent, aggressive responses aren't they? It must be obvious to the authors of those that its possible to provide your opinion without being patronising and rude, since they can see others doing just that. My partner and I like to dress-up a little, although in a hot climate, he prefers a pale linen suit. I wonder where that places him on the scale from 'refined and pompous' to 'trailer trash' (really? Just who do you think you are to label people so on a public thread?). I do think it would be a shame if dressing for dinner was so lost that we would be out of place, but its not life and death is it? I would never assume that someone was dressing casually to be disrespectful to others. I may think shorts and t-shirts look shabby in the MDR on formal night, but I wouldn't be arrogant enough to think those wearing them would be wearing them to cock-a-snoop at me or others. Most people, including me, are concerned with their/our own holidays.

I really think that if what other people wear is so crucial to you, that you feel justified in being so aggressive and unpleasent to others, you must never have come across any real problems in life. Perhaps inform yourself of the suffering of others at home and abroad and be thankful that you have a life comfortable enough to go cruising! After 25 years as a Psychologist, one thing I know is that its the quality of a person, not what they wear, or own, that matters. Although I'll be dressed in my best on formal nights, I would not wish to sit at the same table as someone who is nasty enough to be making derogatory comments about others when they could simply express their opinion on dress in a respectful and reasonable way.

My partner and I like to dress-up a little, although in a hot climate, he prefers a pale linen suit. I wonder where that places him on the scale from 'refined and pompous' to 'trailer trash' (really? Just who do you think you are to label people so on a public thread?).
I would probably place him in the stylish category.

We have lots of conversations in our group of 21, 4 families, about what to wear on our cruises. It's actually a lot of fun before the cruise to plan and think through our choices. As many of you have said, celebrity provides options for all. We all look forward to catching up at the end of the day after our various day trips. We change from our day clothes into dinner attire and more formal outfits for the formal evenings. This can be anything from cocktail dresses to long gowns. None of the men will be wearing tuxedos, primarily because with only a 23kg baggage allowance from OZ and NZ, space in the suitcase is at a premium and the men prefer suits or jackets and ties which can be mixed and matched. We all enjoy the shift from day clothes to evenings and feel that this is a part of our voyage on celebrity. The seven teen boys in our group will all be wearing tuxedos or shirts and waistcoats. It is a sight to see our normally rugged sportswear wearing teens all scrubbed up in their evening ties. On our last med cruise the boys bought fun bow ties in the Florence markets. The boys LOVE getting dressed up and they really enjoyed the comments from many seniors and couples on how great they looked. You can buy very nice suits/tuxedo style at Dept stores for a minimal outlay these days. We travel a long way for our holiday and we feel that these traditions and dressing for an occasion are many of the values we would like to hold on to. It should never be stressful or difficult, nor a fashion parade, it's just part of life to be respectful to others and their dress codes, in my opinion.

It should never be stressful or difficult, nor a fashion parade, it's just part of life to be respectful to others and their dress codes, in my opinion.

I was with you up until this line. Dealing with dress codes IS difficult and stressful for many people. In order to conform to an arbitrary definition of "respectful" dress we are being asked to wear clothes which we feel uncomfortable or self-conscious in.

Aqua class solves this problem for me and my wife but those not fortunate enough to eat in Blu or to afford a specialty restaurant on every formal night (sometimes for their whole family) can be made to feel like outcasts if they don't conform to the rules.

I know it is sometimes hard for those who feel comfortable in formal-wear to understand the stress that dress codes can cause but believe me it is real.

I know it is sometimes hard for those who feel comfortable in formal-wear to understand the stress that dress codes can cause but believe me it is real.

I hear you GEK!

Good thing that you have a few months before we sail to get your packing done to your liking. I drive my husband crazy packing and repacking and still complain once we arrive onboard that I've brought along the wrong clothes! Ha Ha. I wish I could be one of those people who throws everything in the suitcase the night before and gets it right!:)

I have not posted on this thread for a long time. I keep up with it and continue to read all the posts and all the opinions. Bottom line Celebrity Cruise line is up front that they try to promote formal attire dinners 2 or 3 times per cruise depending on the length of the cruise. They also provide for those who do not want formal by keeping the Cafe open for dinner at no extra cost or you can have room service. If you do not want to dress formal don't do Celebrity. It is that simple. It's not fair to the Cruiseline to complain about their dress code. You know it is coming, it is on their website, find a way to deal,with it or choose a different line.

Finally, it is not very civil to put down EITHER side so to speak of their like or dislike of the dress code. I do believe, however, that it gets rather old to read the constant complaints about the dress code and those who like to "get fancy" become frustrated because it has been a part of Celebrity forever and is part of their tradition.

Thank you for listening to my thoughts, have a nice day!😊 and enjoy your next cruise 🚢

I have not posted on this thread for a long time. I keep up with it and continue to read all the posts and all the opinions. Bottom line Celebrity Cruise line is up front that they try to promote formal attire dinners 2 or 3 times per cruise depending on the length of the cruise. They also provide for those who do not want formal by keeping the Cafe open for dinner at no extra cost or you can have room service. If you do not want to dress formal don't do Celebrity. It is that simple. It's not fair to the Cruiseline to complain about their dress code. You know it is coming, it is on their website, find a way to deal,with it or choose a different line.

Finally, it is not very civil to put down EITHER side so to speak of their like or dislike of the dress code. I do believe, however, that it gets rather old to read the constant complaints about the dress code and those who like to "get fancy" become frustrated because it has been a part of Celebrity forever and is part of their tradition.

Thank you for listening to my thoughts, have a nice day!😊 and enjoy your next cruise 🚢

Your two comments contradict one another. Why do you feel those that don't want to dress formally shouldn't sail Celebrity? There are plenty of alternative options, some of which you even mentioned. :confused:

I was with you up until this line. Dealing with dress codes IS difficult and stressful for many people. In order to conform to an arbitrary definition of "respectful" dress we are being asked to wear clothes which we feel uncomfortable or self-conscious in.

Aqua class solves this problem for me and my wife but those not fortunate enough to eat in Blu or to afford a specialty restaurant on every formal night (sometimes for their whole family) can be made to feel like outcasts if they don't conform to the rules.

I respectfully disagree. Formal wear? I do not wear it. Neither does my wife. She wears a nicer black top and a long skirt with nice accessories. I wear a shorts coat, dress slacks and a tie. NOBODY has ever said anything to us putting down what we wore - some 15 cruises on X - and we feel no stress.

Where the dress code does get involved is when someone - it happens every cruise - shows up in shorts and a T shirt with an obscene or off color comment written on it. No nice local restaurant would seat them at home and X usually does not either. I do not think that is infringing on anyone's choice of clothing.

Your two comments contradict one another. Why do you feel those that don't want to dress formally shouldn't sail Celebrity? There are plenty of alternative options, some of which you even mentioned. :confused:

Some of the posts complaining about the formal attire dress code seemed to imply that Celebrity should discontinue formal nights altogether. My point once again is the Cruiseline provides for those who don't want to go formal with alternatives. But if one expects that formal attire should be stopped then they should go to a different line. It is that simple.

As for contradiction...got nothing for you, I'm a retired PE teacher not an English major so im sure things could have been worded better, but it is what it is😜😜😜😜😜. Happy Cruising🚢🚢🚢🚢

I respectfully disagree. Formal wear? I do not wear it. Neither does my wife. She wears a nicer black top and a long skirt with nice accessories. I wear a shorts coat, dress slacks and a tie. NOBODY has ever said anything to us putting down what we wore - some 15 cruises on X - and we feel no stress.

When I started cruising I just dressed tidy (no jacket or tie, just good collared shirt and dark pants) and never had a problem on formal nights. Nevertheless I was not conforming to the dress code and being the type of guy who doesn't like to offend my fellow passengers I began to wonder if some people were upset by the way I dressed. I don't go the route of intentional offense by donning t-shirts and shorts but some of the more easily offended would be sure to group me in with them simply because I wasn't wearing a jacket or tie.

Not that I should worry about that but unfortunately I do.

On other lines I eventually just banished myself to the buffet. On Celebrity I found a better alternative in Blu. It removes all my (mostly self-inflicted) stress.

Wow! [emoji50] I stopped reading this thread part way in. There are some really unpleasent, aggressive responses aren't they? It must be obvious to the authors of those that its possible to provide your opinion without being patronising and rude, since they can see others doing just that. My partner and I like to dress-up a little, although in a hot climate, he prefers a pale linen suit. I wonder where that places him on the scale from 'refined and pompous' to 'trailer trash' (really? Just who do you think you are to label people so on a public thread?). I do think it would be a shame if dressing for dinner was so lost that we would be out of place, but its not life and death is it? I would never assume that someone was dressing casually to be disrespectful to others. I may think shorts and t-shirts look shabby in the MDR on formal night, but I wouldn't be arrogant enough to think those wearing them would be wearing them to cock-a-snoop at me or others. Most people, including me, are concerned with their/our own holidays.

I really think that if what other people wear is so crucial to you, that you feel justified in being so aggressive and unpleasent to others, you must never have come across any real problems in life. Perhaps inform yourself of the suffering of others at home and abroad and be thankful that you have a life comfortable enough to go cruising! After 25 years as a Psychologist, one thing I know is that its the quality of a person, not what they wear, or own, that matters. Although I'll be dressed in my best on formal nights, I would not wish to sit at the same table as someone who is nasty enough to be making derogatory comments about others when they could simply express their opinion on dress in a respectful and reasonable way.

Hear hear, I worked more than my expected hours as a Nurse, I wear uniform 5/7 days, 5/7 I wear combats, boots, as I walk 5/10 miles. Day to and from work, The last day of work when I hang up the uniform and get ready to Cruise is the best feeling ever...... I'm a newbie hubby isn't but I love the tradition of Formal we pay the extra price for the extra luggage, I spent a year planning my wardrobe after my first cruise, and as we say "Each to their own", I actually left Murano due to snide remarks, caused quite a stir but I do Amateur Dramatics so it was pretty amazing LOL, the couple were spoken to by the Maitre'D, be nice if you can, most of us work bloody hard for that one holiday a year!!!

... It's not fair to the Cruiseline to complain about their dress code. ...

Why not? What is wrong with people respectfully expressing their views about aspects of the operation, including their dress code?

I say this as someone who does dress for Formal Night but if i'm honest would prefer not to. I would much prefer smart-casual wear.

If people let their views be known for or against - dress code, smoking, the band by the pool, chocolates on the pillows and so on...then it might help shape future policy. I doubt very few people here are seriously advocating shorts and tea shirts.

Didn't there use to be three dress codes a few years ago? Presumably feedback (you might see that as complaining) indicated that it was putting off enough customers and potential customers for them to take action.

Cunard I'm sure loses a lot of potential customers (us, for example) because of its strict dress code, but operating only 3 ships they've probably done the sums and realise that for every Mr & Mrs DYKWIA they lose because of the dress code they attract enough people who still want that strict code.

Why not? What is wrong with people respectfully expressing their views about aspects of the operation, including their dress code?

I say this as someone who does dress for Formal Night but if i'm honest would prefer not to. I would much prefer smart-casual wear.

If people let their views be known for or against - dress code, smoking, the band by the pool, chocolates on the pillows and so on...then it might help shape future policy. I doubt very few people here are seriously advocating shorts and tea shirts.

Didn't there use to be three dress codes a few years ago? Presumably feedback (you might see that as complaining) indicated that it was putting off enough customers and potential customers for them to take action.

Cunard I'm sure loses a lot of potential customers (us, for example) because of its strict dress code, but operating only 3 ships they've probably done the sums and realise that for every Mr & Mrs DYKWIA they lose because of the dress code they attract enough people who still want that strict code.

Actually,Cunard does very well. Each cruiseline has their "schtick" so to speak & formal wear is Cunard's. If you can't/won't follow the dresscode then choose a line that adheres to yours.

Edited by keithm
spell check

Where the dress code does get involved is when someone - it happens every cruise - shows up in shorts and a T shirt with an obscene or off color comment written on it. No nice local restaurant would seat them at home and X usually does not either. I do not think that is infringing on anyone's choice of clothing.

This has been our experience too. As long as we show up looking like we've made an effort to look nice, we've never had a problem. This has been the case on formal nights we've attended on Celebrity, RCCL, Princess, Carnival, and NCL.

We travel as a group of guys in our 50's-60's. On a 7-day cruise we bring a sports jacket, slacks, dress shirt, tie, and dress shoes. But for a 14-day or longer trip, luggage space/weight is a real issue. So we usually forgo the sports jacket, and maybe the dress shoes (as long as our casual shoes are dark color). That 3 pounds of luggage space/weight may seen minor but when packing for 2+ weeks it isn't. Especially since we want to leave some buffer for bringing souvenirs back.

So instead we wear slacks, dress shirt, and tie. We've never been denied entry to the MDR on formal nights when dressed that way.

Edited by dbsb3233

I never said they weren't - but they only have three ships. Do they have a fourth on order?

Not to my knowledge. To give you an idea how profitable they are..The QM2 cost over $800million. It took less than 5 years to pay off that one ship.

Just got off the Silhouette Sunday, and they turned away quite a few men on both formal nights who did not have coats. Nice to see they are attempting to establish a minimum dress code during formal nights. Many of those turned away weren't even close to the requirements.

Hey everyone!

I've been perusing this thread for a little bit and I wanted to run whether the two attached photos would pass for formal night in the MDR. I'll be on my first Celebrity cruise next week onboard the Constellation. It would just be a dress shirt with a vest and a bow tie with a pair of slacks. Thanks for your insight.

uploadfromtaptalk1426803013027.jpg.22a4e9dabdfac434512ae47ec68bd73d.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1426802982426.jpg.7d77d37c6c19ed5d663c133421f7322a.jpg

Hey everyone!

I've been perusing this thread for a little bit and I wanted to run whether the two attached photos would pass for formal night in the MDR. I'll be on my first Celebrity cruise next week onboard the Constellation. It would just be a dress shirt with a vest and a bow tie with a pair of slacks. Thanks for your insight.

[ATTACH]343691[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]343690[/ATTACH]

There is no 100% guarantee, as it's a judgment call by the greeters for any "non-standard" dress (including what kind of mood they're in). But in our experience, I'd say 98% chance you'd get in without a problem. Especially the 2nd one. A dark dress shirt looks a little dressier, IMO. The plaid shirt looks a bit more casual, although the vest and bow tie certainly dresses it up more.

I think it also depends a little on how the rest of your party is dressed too. We are usually a party of 4 guys. 3 of us always dress on format nights with a minimum of dress shirt + tie, while one is more lazy and half the time just shows up in a polo shirt. We've never been turned away on a formal night. But I think that's in part because 3 of us are dressed better. And we always choose Select dining (not fixed times) so that we're seated at our own table.

We were turned away one time at the MDR on a non-formal night when one in our party showed up in shorts, purely by accident (we'd just returned from an excursion and he just spaced out changing clothes).

Edited by dbsb3233

Hey everyone!

[ATTACH]343691[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]343690[/ATTACH]

Technically speaking the lack of a jacket puts you outside the bounds of the formal dress code. It is possible you may be refused entry but I think that is very unlikely. The Constellation doesn't seem to have a reputation for being excessively formal.

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it.

Yes your dress would be acceptable, just as a jacket and shirt without tie is acceptable.

There is no 100% guarantee, as it's a judgment call by the greeters for any "non-standard" dress (including what kind of mood they're in). But in our experience, I'd say 98% chance you'd get in without a problem. Especially the 2nd one. A dark dress shirt looks a little dressier, IMO. The plaid shirt looks a bit more casual, although the vest and bow tie certainly dresses it up more.

I think it also depends a little on how the rest of your party is dressed too. We are usually a party of 4 guys. 3 of us always dress on format nights with a minimum of dress shirt + tie, while one is more lazy and half the time just shows up in a polo shirt. We've never been turned away on a formal night. But I think that's in part because 3 of us are dressed better. And we always choose Select dining (not fixed times) so that we're seated at our own table.

We were turned away one time at the MDR on a non-formal night when one in our party showed up in shorts, purely by accident (we'd just returned from an excursion and he just spaced out changing clothes).

Thank you for your reply. I would most definitely wear a solid colored shirt. I love my plaid shirt, but I don't think it looks as nice with the vest.

Technically speaking the lack of a jacket puts you outside the bounds of the formal dress code. It is possible you may be refused entry but I think that is very unlikely. The Constellation doesn't seem to have a reputation for being excessively formal.

Thanks. I hope you're right. I'd be highly embarrassed if I was turned away. I hate drawing attention to myself. I had intended on buying a jacket for our trip, but I unexpectedly lost my job shortly after the final payment was paid. And luckily for me, I have a unique build, so borrowing a jacket from someone else wouldn't work... Lol