Ebola making a difference in your next cruise?

Sam.Seattle

It was Ron Klein's first or second day on the job so I don't know what you expect him to contribute to a congressional hearing.

And we have an acting Surgeon General; thanks to the NRA we don't have a permanent one.

So people complain that the Ebola "czar" is not a doctor but at the same time they choose not to listen to the medical experts (e.g. the quarentined implemented by the governors of NY and NJ). So just exactly what do you want from the medical experts if nobody listens to them??

Edited by Boytjie

Cannot tell you exactly because I don't remember. But I saw some of the same vegetation in Karoo that I had seen in Lapland, where I did my military service. Also, Arctic vegetation in the Aberdare National Park, near Nyeri, Kenya.

During my SA years, I drove through the Karoo from Joburg to Cape Town once and took the sumptuous Blue Train once. There is a terrific iittle hotel in Matjiesfontein. http://www.matjiesfontein.com/lordmilner/

Here is a piece about Karoo http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/africaandindianocean/southafrica/10450182/The-Karoo-by-Obie-Oberholzer.html

Edited by barante

It was Ron Klein's first or second day on the job so I don't know what you expect him to contribute to a congressional hearing.

And we have an acting Surgeon General; thanks to the NRA we don't have a permanent one.

So people complain that the Ebola "czar" is not a doctor but at the same time they choose not to listen to the medical experts (e.g. the quarentined implemented by the governors of NY and NJ). So just exactly what do you want from the medical experts if nobody listens to them??

Oh really! I wasn't aware that Gov. Cuomo and Gov. Christie were "medical experts."

BTW are you aware of the unnecessarily rough treatment of the poor nurse who was returning from a mission of mercy to West Africa?

Once again, with a Surgeon General (OK, "acting" Surgeon General...not sure what's the difference) on board who has both a leadership and medical background, why is it necessary to bring on a guy who only has political experience be in charge? (At additional taxpayer expense, of course)?

By the way, the "czar" is Klain, not Klein. And he was appointed at least a week before the hearings. What, exactly, does he need more time for if he's already the right guy to lead the effort? Meanwhile nothing at all is being done.

Cannot tell you exactly because I don't remember. But I saw some of the same vegetation in Karoo that I had seen in Lapland, where I did my military service. Also, Arctic vegetation in the Aberdare National Park, near Nyeri, Kenya.

During my SA years, I drove through the Karoo from Joburg to Cape Town once and took the sumptuous Blue Train once. There is a terrific iittle hotel in Matjiesfontein. http://www.matjiesfontein.com/lordmilner/

Here is a piece about Karoo http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/africaandindianocean/southafrica/10450182/The-Karoo-by-Obie-Oberholzer.html

Ah, but fauna = animals (flora = plants) :)

I never travelled on the Blue Train :( I am familiar with the Milner in Matjiesfontein :)

Edited by Boytjie

we took the opportunity to book the west coast 35 days nov 15th price we could not refuse. As ex south africans , good wAY TO SEE FRIENDS ETC. pITY THE AIEFARE WASNOT AS CHEAP. SORRY IAM NOT A GOOD TYPER- ORIGINALLY FROM PORT ELIZABETH,

Nurse Kaci Hickox, who was ordered quarantined at a New Jersey hospital after returning from West Africa, will be discharged, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's office announced today.

A battle of words broke out Sunday between Hickox, who returned home from Ebola-ravaged West Africa only to be ordered into quarantine, and the governor, with the nurse telling CNN that her "basic human rights have been violated" and that Christie was responsible.

She has requested to be taken to Maine, a statement from the governor's office says.

we took the opportunity to book the west coast 35 days nov 15th price we could not refuse. As ex south africans , good wAY TO SEE FRIENDS ETC. pITY THE AIEFARE WASNOT AS CHEAP. SORRY IAM NOT A GOOD TYPER- ORIGINALLY FROM PORT ELIZABETH,

I often wondered whether your CC user name had a SA connection. :)

Nurse Kaci Hickox, who was ordered quarantined at a New Jersey hospital after returning from West Africa, will be discharged, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's office announced today.

A battle of words broke out Sunday between Hickox, who returned home from Ebola-ravaged West Africa only to be ordered into quarantine, and the governor, with the nurse telling CNN that her "basic human rights have been violated" and that Christie was responsible.

She has requested to be taken to Maine, a statement from the governor's office says.

All I heard on CNN was that she was unhappy about being quarantined for 21 days in what looked like a tent built within the hospital. What other issues does she have regarding her human rights?

Edited by chrispb
error

REMINDER

Please reread the initial post. This thread is about whether the ebola situation will have any impact on your future cruise plans.

Please stay on topic.

Thanks.

All I heard on CNN was that she was unhappy about being quarantined for 21 days in what looked like a tent built within the hospital. What other issues does she have regarding her human rights?

No dignity. A toilet that didn't flush. No running water. No shower. No access to her personal property/luggage. No heat in the tent the first night...... Hardly a way to thank a volunteer nurse who risked her life to care for others which seems to be encouraged by our government. They want Ebola stopped in West Africa and not imported to North America ..... as do we all. We need those health care heroes to do that work for us.

As to whether Ebola would influence my decision to cruise, this is another 'angle' though perhaps in the extreme.

Were there to be a case of Suspected Possible Ebola on a cruise ship, would they quarantine all guests for 21 days until they knew whether we had contracted the disease? Would they set up a series of tents in FLL to house us all while they fought it out if appropriate or not? :eek: I admit that is pushing the envelope but frankly, it wouldn't be the first time officials either over-reacted or acted inappropriately.

Edited by sail7seas

>SNIP<

I likely will cancel my cruise as this is so to speak 'the last straw' on top of other factors which are private to me. Were this the only reason, I'm not sure but it is likely it is the one that will be the final factor in my decision making. >SNIP<

Were there to be a case of Suspected Possible Ebola on a cruise ship, would they quarantine all guests for 21 days until they knew whether we had contracted the disease? Would they set up a series of tents in FLL to house us all while they fought it out if appropriate or not? :eek: I admit that is pushing the envelope but frankly, it wouldn't be the first time officials either over-reacted or acted inappropriately.

A couple of days ago you said you would likely be cancelling your cruise (first quote). I thought you would gain some peace of mind about the possibility of ebola affecting you, once you decided against going a cruise right now.

Now, today, you are speculating that cruisers might end up living in tents in Ft Lauderdale. Sail, please stop doing this to yourself. Dreaming up unlikely "horror movie"-style scenarios is not doing yourself any favors. Please stop doing it.

Edited by CowPrincess

A couple of days ago you said you would likely be cancelling your cruise (first quote). I thought you would gain some peace of mind about the possibility of ebola affecting you, once you decided against going a cruise right now.

Now, today, you are speculating that cruisers might end up living in tents in Ft Lauderdale. Sail, please stop doing this to yourself. Dreaming up unlikely "horror movie"-style scenarios is not doing yourself any favors. Please stop doing it.

It's not doing me any favours either. I have to stop reading this nonsense. We are leaving for Fort Lauderdale in a few weeks and are looking forward to a much needed rest. I refuse to let scare mongering spoil our enjoyment and we never thought of cancelling for a single moment.

So my answer is that Ebola has no bearing on whether we take the cruise.

Thank you for worrying what is good for me. It is very kind of you.

I have made my decision. :)

No one need agree with anything I personally think or feel. My vivid imagination should not be taken as anything other than speculation.

I wouldn't predict for sure what anyone is going to do next as regards Ebola and U.S. How can I know when it seems White House, two governors (at least), CDC, airlines and a host of others in authority don't know? Maybe it is that lack of decisiveness that is unsettling for some of us.

Maybe my fears are not quite as far fetched as some may think. They just announced that U.S. troops returning from rendering aid in West Africa will now be quarantined for 21 days.

It seems to helter skelter who gets quarantined, where and for how long.

Edited by sail7seas

Not to mention the fear it puts in some of the posters here...so it's not doing a favor to anyone.

If people cancel because of it, fine. If they decide to go, fine. It's a matter of personal opinion. The only thing I plan to do differently is to insure with HAL Platinum from now on so that we can "cancel for any reason".

CowPrincess

Not to mention the fear it puts in some of the posters here...so it's not doing a favor to anyone.

If people cancel because of it, fine. If they decide to go, fine. It's a matter of personal opinion. The only thing I plan to do differently is to insure with HAL Platinum from now on so that we can "cancel for any reason".

No one should be told to not post their thoughts on a thread's topic as long as they do not violate CC rules. No one need read any thread if they don't wish.

Edited by sail7seas

...I wouldn't predict for sure what anyone is going to do next as regards Ebola and U.S. How can I know when it seems White House, two governors (at least), CDC, airlines and a host of others in authority don't know? Maybe it is that lack of decisiveness that is unsettling for some of us...

Once again I totally agree with you, Sail. Washington has totally mishandled this entire fiasco.

Fortunately, as far as I know, none of the cruise lines, including Holland America, have established any specific policies regarding anyone showing any symptoms or who may have been in the same subway car as a doctor who has shown to be negative for ebola.

It's been almost 2 weeks now that this guy Ron Klain was appointed "ebola czar" but he seems to have faded totally out of sight. The Acting Surgeon General, Rear Admiral Boris D. Lushniak, MD, MPH, must be being held incommunicado somewhere because he certainly has far better credentials to establish Federal policy than Ron Klain.

Just as with so many issues, our friends in Washington are consistently following the (slightly altered) admonition, "Don't do something, just stand there.")

My cruise plans definitely will not change unless Holland America tells me their policy has changed or the Federal government gets around to setting some ground rules.

Thank you for worrying what is good for me. It is very kind of you.

I have made my decision. :)

No one need agree with anything I personally think or feel. My vivid imagination should not be taken as anything other than speculation.

>SNIP<

Giving your "vivid imagination" (as you refer to it) free rein and then posting those unusual speculations does nothing to add to the FACTS surrounding ebola and does nothing to help people decide what is the right course of action for themselves.

As for me "worrying" about you? Don't be silly. Any concern I display is simply part of being in the "widows' club". We reach out to others in similar situations to offer help. Whether or not that help is accepted is completely beyond my control.

Ebola is not a factor in deciding whether or not we will cruise.

It's not doing me any favours either. I have to stop reading this nonsense. We are leaving for Fort Lauderdale in a few weeks and are looking forward to a much needed rest. I refuse to let scare mongering spoil our enjoyment and we never thought of cancelling for a single moment.

So my answer is that Ebola has no bearing on whether we take the cruise.

Good for you!

Bon Voyage and happy sailing.....

Bye Bye.

Note to self: I wish I had included a poll when I started this thread.

No dignity. A toilet that didn't flush. No running water. No shower. No access to her personal property/luggage. No heat in the tent the first night...... Hardly a way to thank a volunteer nurse who risked her life to care for others which seems to be encouraged by our government. They want Ebola stopped in West Africa and not imported to North America ..... as do we all. We need those health care heroes to do that work for us.

As to whether Ebola would influence my decision to cruise, this is another 'angle' though perhaps in the extreme.

You bring up some very interesting points to consider. I still recall the Carnival ship that lost power and was allowed to float around and terrible conditions that quickly happened with so many people in a limited space.

It has been so interesting reading all the different points and thought that people have shared here.

I am so very glad we have a place to openly share our thoughts and concerns.