Ebola making a difference in your next cruise?

Sam.Seattle

I think a lot of the hysteria was caused by our own government not coming out and reassuring the public. When you have supposibly "professional" people in the area of public health coming down with a serious virus and no one who is known at the time coming out to re-assure the public you willl naturally have people forming their own opinions. Remember The first cases were a dr. and a nurse who were brought to this country sick. Then a native of Africa comes here and gets sick and dies while being treated and two of the "Professionals" are infected then another dr comes into the country and he has it! That in itself is enough to have people worried about how this desease can be transmitted. Remember the people infected are not ordinary people but "professionals" in the field of medicine!

Now that some time has passed (and there were more things to worry about like the elections) the hysteria has calmed down. They have stepped back and realized that since the epidemic is about 5000 miles from where they live they and their families are relatively safe. Life has gone on and things are returning to 'normal".

This should be a good wake up call to us as a country to be on our alert for not only your run of the mill flu, but the possibility of a more serious virus.

I think a lot of the hysteria was caused by our own government not coming out and reassuring the public. When you have supposibly "professional" people in the area of public health coming down with a serious virus and no one who is known at the time coming out to re-assure the public you willl naturally have people forming their own opinions....

[sarcasm]Thank goodness the administration appointed Ron Klain to be the ebala czar. His quick thinking and immediate actions clearly helped quell the panic.[/sarcasm]

Seriously, is this guy in the witness protection program or what? Has anyone heard from him since his appointment was announced on Oct 17?

Or is he following the standard Federal Government operating policy, "Don't do something, just stand there?"

I saw reports about about some Ebola hysteria in Europe too.

Not here in the UK there isn't. It's barely mentioned on the news - apart from a new clinic opened in Sierra Leone and the current number of deaths there.

I've not heard any meaningful private conversations at all. I think most people have far more relevant things to discuss.

Edited by chrispb
error

Ebola is mostly confined to three countries in the west of Africa. Living conditions in these countries are primitive and public hygeine standards are poor.

I think that the chances of someone traveling in the US catching Ebola by casual contact with a fellow traveler are so infinitesimally small as to not even be worth worrying about.

Just to combat some of the media-created hysteria:

http://scroll.in/article/687249/British-scientist-creates-an-Ebola-map-of-Africa-for-the-%27geographically-challenged%27

Please indicate how concerned you are about each of the following factors when deciding whether or not to take a cruise in 2015?

Becoming ill onboard ship

Ship safety

The economy

Job stability

Political unrest/terrorism

Ebola scare from recent news coverage

[sarcasm]Thank goodness the administration appointed Ron Klain to be the ebala czar. His quick thinking and immediate actions clearly helped quell the panic.[/sarcasm]

Seriously, is this guy in the witness protection program or what? Has anyone heard from him since his appointment was announced on Oct 17?

Or is he following the standard Federal Government operating policy, "Don't do something, just stand there?"

I heard he signed up for direct deposit! No need to come into the office!

Please indicate how concerned you are about each of the following factors when deciding whether or not to take a cruise in 2015?

Becoming ill onboard ship

Ship safety

The economy

Job stability

Political unrest/terrorism

Ebola scare from recent news coverage

Wow! HAL missed the two most important questions in this survey.

Which nights are formal in the dining room?

Will there be trays in the lido?

It must be a real issue or concern for HAL to add Ebola to the Survey.

I wonder if HAL is creating or contributing to hysteria and MANY people are going to come up to me and discuss this?

How silly to forget to ask about the formal nights and where have all trays gone...:rolleyes:

Edited by Sam.Seattle

I've posted this on the Cunard board as I received it this morning

* Important Information - Ebola Health Screening *

Following the recent news regarding the Ebola virus, we wish to advise you that

in collaboration with international health authorities we have implemented new

screening and boarding procedures. Any passenger or crew member who has

travelled to or through Liberia, Sierra Leone or Guinea within 21 days of their

cruise departure date will be denied boarding.

This policy also applies to anyone who has had contact with or helped care for,

a person suspected of having Ebola within 21 days of their cruise departure

date. We are also screening our bookings for any passengers coming from these

countries. We continue to monitor the situation closely, along with our

colleagues in the rest of the travel industry. If you require further

information on Ebola, you can visit the World Health Organization's website at

http://www.who.int or the NHS website at http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ebola-virus.

Should you have any questions or concerns about these travel requirements,

please contact us on 0843 374 0000."

I wonder if HAL is creating or contributing to hysteria and MANY people are going to come up to me and discuss this?

How silly to forget to ask about the formal nights and where have all trays gone...:rolleyes:

Honestly, I think you need to calm down and ease your fears as you seem to have become obsessive about ebola. You've even started a thread about this survey - even the media has let it go, and you should too. Hope you got your flu shot.;)

Thanks for the link. Poor holidaymakers looked stunned, not the sort of thing that usually happens in broad daylight:cool:

No, I don't consider HAL to be contributing to the hysteria but possibly they are responding to it.

Have you spotted boatloads of people from Sierra Leone pulling in to shore in Puget Sound or something?:D Can't think of another reason for you to be so obsessed:cool:

It was my understanding the media has agreed not to report suspected cases of Ebola, only confirmed cases to avoid hysteria.

http://marketdailynews.com/2014/11/06/obama-orders-media-blackout-of-ebola-outbreaks-in-the-usa/

I just wonder who will confirm any cases of Ebola in our country. Would that be the Ebola Czar? I don't think anyone has seen or heard from him since the day he started collecting a paycheck!!!

I just wonder who will confirm any cases of Ebola in our country. Would that be the Ebola Czar? I don't think anyone has seen or heard from him since the day he started collecting a paycheck!!!

While the policy not to make any more possible ebola cases public unless someone tests positive with ebola makes sense (but only if health care workers are on each suspected case) this policy change fits the profile of a political operative like Ron Klain, the invisible ebola czar who has been MIA since his appointment was announced on October 17, over 3 weeks ago.

No, I don't consider HAL to be contributing to the hysteria but possibly they are responding to it.

Have you spotted boatloads of people from Sierra Leone pulling in to shore in Puget Sound or something?:D Can't think of another reason for you to be so obsessed:cool:

Fair question. (All be it rude and sarcastic) "JBLM" - Joint Base Lewis Mc Cord is located in Western Washington. JBLM will be the decontamination zone for returning service members returning from Africa. So, if the Govt is designating an Army & Airforce base as a decontamination zone, Ebola does seem to be a valid concern. News reports show people expressing concern and fear. What is Wales doing to help eliminate this virus?

Thanks to everyone responding and posting on this thread and keeping the topic live.

Edited by Sam.Seattle

Fair question. (All be it rude and sarcastic) "JBLM" - Joint Base Lewis Mc Cord is located in Western Washington. JBLM will be the decontamination zone for returning service members returning from Africa. So, if the Govt is designating an Army & Airforce base as a decontamination zone, Ebola does seem to be a valid concern. News reports show people expressing concern and fear. What is Wales doing to help eliminate this virus?

Thanks to everyone responding and posting on this thread and keeping the topic live.

I agree my response was slightly sarcastic but rude - never!:eek:

As to your question regarding what Wales is doing you can have a look at dec.org.uk

or

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/ebola/11212080/British-Ebola-clinic-opens-for-patients-in-Sierra-Leone.html.

I agree my response was slightly sarcastic but rude - never!:eek:

As to your question regarding what Wales is doing you can have a look at dec.org.uk

or

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/ebola/11212080/British-Ebola-clinic-opens-for-patients-in-Sierra-Leone.html.

OK... help me out here... You are from Whales, right? This article is about England, right?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1OPRA_enUS572US573&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=is%20whales%20part%20of%20england

The governments of the United Kingdom and of Wales almost invariably define Wales as a country. The Welsh Assembly Government says: "Wales is not a Principality. Although we are joined with England by land, and we are part of Great Britain, Wales is a country in its own right."

At any rate... It is nice to see other country's helping out. Still a concern for me as to weather travel is going to experience any negative effects.

OK... help me out here... You are from Whales, right? This article is about England, right?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1OPRA_enUS572US573&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=is%20whales%20part%20of%20england

The governments of the United Kingdom and of Wales almost invariably define Wales as a country. The Welsh Assembly Government says: "Wales is not a Principality. Although we are joined with England by land, and we are part of Great Britain, Wales is a country in its own right."

At any rate... It is nice to see other country's helping out. Still a concern for me as to weather travel is going to experience any negative effects.

No. The poster is from Wales. Which is a part of Great Britain.

Reminder. This is the original topic. Please stay on topic and avoid thread drift.

I was so surprised last night when I suggested we buy airline tickets to FLL for a holiday cruise and not book the ship till the last minute looking for a deal. If the ships were full, that would be fine and we would enjoy Florida sunshine!

The surprise was when DW said, I prefer to not travel until we learn more about the Ebola situation.

Anyone else amending their travel plans?

• 1 month later...

Now that the hysteria has died down in the USA, does anyone feel that there was an over-reaction?

We did not change our plans and went on our 11/3-11/13 ABC Islands cruise, and Ebola was not brought up ONCE during the trip that we can recall.

So I wonder if those that were being "overly cautious" have now changed thier opinions?