Ebola making a difference in your next cruise?

Sam.Seattle

We don't need another medical expert to spearhead the response to Ebola, we need someone that knows how to maneuver through government.

Heck, people are not even listening to the medical experts now, not sure how another one would make a difference.

Sail, I had a feeling you would not go and here's hoping many nice cruises are in your future.

It remains to be seen how far this spreads. I mean we really just don't know at this point. What I have seen is not very reassuring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree...what we have seen up to now is not reassuring...Mollie Hemingway wrote a great article today or yesterday about the media and Ebola...

There seems to be two definitive camps in this discussion...I certainly hope the camp who is naysaying EVERYTHING is the right one...but I have my doubts....

I will say...Sail...IMHO...right decision made...I always trust my gut...and if you had doubts what ever they might have been...there will be more cruises in your future...I can only imagine how hard it must be to contemplate doing a cruise without a spouse...hugs to you!!

Thank you. You are both very kind :) and I greatly appreciate it.

We don't need another medical expert to spearhead the response to Ebola, we need someone that knows how to maneuver through government.

Heck, people are not even listening to the medical experts now, not sure how another one would make a difference.

We do need one person or a couple in charge...until recently no one really knew who was in charge. I will keep my mouth shut regarding a medical expert versus a lawyer to head up the Ebola challenge.....

As a retired RN...I am not fearful of Ebola, not at all. The first missteps by the CDC with our first experience (Duncan) was a fail. However, the CDC has risen to the task, though they still have a ways to go to get things in proper order.

Kudos to the Governors of New York and New Jersey...for doing what needs to be done (quarantine).

Of course nothing is 100%, but the Governors are at least using a bit of good common sense. The CDC training hospital personnel is another good move.

As for cruising (18 under my belt), and the next one scheduled in January for the southern Caribbean...Ebola is the least of my worries. I have been quite fortunate not to get Norovirus and to be quarantined for that.

It's from an internet MEME, and it got a little mixed up in translation.

it's:

"More Americans have been married to Kim Kardashian, than have died from Ebola"

Wow, that line (joke) has been used so many times on the internet, and several cruise line forums. The more times I read it, the more it makes me sick. I must be losing my sense of humour. -S.

"The WHO said the number of cases was now 10,141 but that the figure could be much higher, as many families were keeping relatives at home rather than taking them to treatment centres. It said many of the centres were overcrowded." - quoted from

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29769782

Edited by Salacia

I don't see any posts either that would qualify as hysterical and/or panic posts. I see a discussion on differing viewpoints of the Ebola situation.

Here is the definition of scaremonger from Merriam Webster online, since it seems to be dropped as a label so frequently on this thread.

Scaremonger: one inclined to raise or excite alarms especially needlessly

And I still don't see any posts matching that definition.

I agree. -S

We do need one person or a couple in charge...until recently no one really knew who was in charge. I will keep my mouth shut regarding a medical expert versus a lawyer to head up the Ebola challenge.....

As a retired RN...I am not fearful of Ebola, not at all. The first missteps by the CDC with our first experience (Duncan) was a fail. However, the CDC has risen to the task, though they still have a ways to go to get things in proper order.

Kudos to the Governors of New York and New Jersey...for doing what needs to be done (quarantine).

Of course nothing is 100%, but the Governors are at least using a bit of good common sense. The CDC training hospital personnel is another good move.

As for cruising (18 under my belt), and the next one scheduled in January for the southern Caribbean...Ebola is the least of my worries. I have been quite fortunate not to get Norovirus and to be quarantined for that.

Arwen, you've never had Noro? On land or at sea? You have indeed been fortunate. Just based on my own experience, self-quarantine is the only way to retain one's dignity (you won't want to have anyone see you in that state)...and you certainly wouldn't want to infect others. -S.

Kaci Hickox, a nurse placed under mandatory quarantine in New Jersey, told CNN today the "knee-jerk reaction by politicians" was not well planned out, "and to quarantine someone without a better plan in place, without more forethought, is just preposterous."

Hickox, who was working to help treat Ebola patients in Sierra Leone, has tested negative twice for Ebola and does not have symptoms, she said.

"This is an extreme that is really unacceptable and I feel like my basic human rights have been violated," Hickox told CNN's Candy Crowley on "State of the Union."

"To put me through this emotional and physical stress is completely unacceptable," she said.

Get complete coverage of breaking news on CNN TV, CNN.com and CNN Mobile.

To quarantine people who are asymptomatic is quite likely to do far more harm than good.

This practice will, if implemented, have a hugely chilling effect on the willingness of medical professionals to go abroad and work with organizations like Médecins sans frontières and the Red Cross.

If this outbreak of ebola is going to be brought under control, it will be done through the intervention of doctors and nurses bringing active care and education to areas where the virus has taken hold. But if we take measures to dissuade doctors, nurses and other professionals from going to these places, we simply act to perpetuate the current problem.

We, truly, have nothing to fear at present from ebola. Nigeria was able to deal with the appearance of some 19 people with ebola infections--and surely the medical systems in Western Europe and North America have better capacity than that of Nigeria.

Arwen, you've never had Noro? On land or at sea? You have indeed been fortunate. Just based on my own experience, self-quarantine is the only way to retain one's dignity (you won't want to have anyone see you in that state)...and you certainly wouldn't want to infect others. -S.

I've never had Noro either. Nor anyone in my immediately family. It is, in fact, unusual to get it, not the norm. I certainly agree with you about preserving the dignity though, because I know you can't stray far from a bathroom if you have it. On board ships, we take all our own personal precautions to not catch it. Our last cruise saw an outbreak of Noro, we sailed with it for 10 days, and thankfully neither my DH and I and our friends got it.

Simple question. If you are concerned with your health, who would you trust more; a medical professional who has dedicated his life to medical care or to a political adviser?

We need medical control, not spin control.

Simple question. If you are concerned with your health, who would you trust more; a medical professional who has dedicated his life to medical care or to a political adviser?

You are right, of course, but there are some very highly credentialed MD's on the news stations. Top NYC hospitals, Boston's Massachusetts General, other fine facilities....... They are a voice of authority IMO

It's from an internet MEME, and it got a little mixed up in translation.

it's:

"More Americans have been married to Kim Kardashian, than have died from Ebola"

Wow, that line (joke) has been used so many times on the internet, and several cruise line forums. The more times I read it, the more it makes me sick. I must be losing my sense of humour. -S.

"The WHO said the number of cases was now 10,141 but that the figure could be much higher, as many families were keeping relatives at home rather than taking them to treatment centres. It said many of the centres were overcrowded." - quoted from

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29769782

The key word is "Americans"

(and yes, it's horrible that so many in Africa are affected, but typical of Xenophobic America, (unfortunately), most only care how it affects AMERICANS -- so putting it into perspective how much those in the USA have to "fear" the disease, is, I expect, the point of the MEME).

Edited by bert425

You are right, of course, but there are some very highly credentialed MD's on the news stations. Top NYC hospitals, Boston's Massachusetts General, other fine facilities....... They are a voice of authority IMO

My point exactly. Their credibility on the entire issue is, to me, a lot higher than a political adviser who has no medical background at all.

(and yes, it's horrible that so many in Africa are affected, but typical of Xenophobic America, (unfortunately), most only care how it affects AMERICANS -- so putting it into perspective how much those in the USA have to "fear" the disease, is, I expect, the point of the MEME).

Totally agree. The problem was and is far worse in East Africa yet only a very few people paid any attention to it until Duncan's case arrived on our shores. Although the UN's World Health Organization has repeatedly reported the issue as it pertains to East Africa, no one in Washington did or said anything, presumably because no one really cared.

I suspect, but do not personally know, that the possibility of an American in the USA getting smallpox or polio is a whole lot greater than getting ebolo, but because the virulent disease ebolo which is so difficult to contain has arrived in our country, our out-of-control sensationalizing media has taken a relatively minor issue and has blown it wildly out of control.

You are totally correct about the xenophobia aspect which is a national disgrace. Compare what our politicians are currently doing about the epidemics of ebolo overseas with how well the US government handled the AIDS epidemic in Africa over the last few decades.

The subject of this thread is whether the current ebolo situation will cause folks to change their travel plans. My answer is no way. There's absolutely no reason to even consider the possibility.

Edited by Sow There

That is not exactly accurate.

There is a highly competent acting Surgeon General. The slot is not empty. Rear Admiral Boris Lushniak is by no means unfit for the position. His credentials are very impressive. A link to his biography: http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/about/biographies/biosg.html

I won't begin to guess the politics of what goes on in D.C. as to his participation in this situation.

Edited by sail7seas

That is not exactly accurate.

There is a highly competent acting Surgeon General. The slot is not empty. Rear Admiral Boris Lushniak (sp ?) is by no means unfit for the position. His credentials are very impressive.

I won't begin to guess the politics of what goes on in D.C. as to his participation in this situation.

I deleted my post as being too far off-topic. I am trying to keep my frustration with party politics off CC :(.

I deleted my post as being too far off-topic. I am trying to keep my frustration with party politics off CC :(.

I agree and don't blame you. :)

I just thought it helpful to expand on the idea there was no one filling the Surgeon General position.

We have plenty of medical experts in the CDC and the NIH etc; there is no need for one more. What is needed is for someone to coordinate various government agencies to work on the one problem. Ron Klain was selected for his management experience and contacts throughout the government and I have not heard any spin from him.

The problem was and is far worse in East Africa...

You mean West Africa?

Compare what our politicians are currently doing about the epidemics of ebolo overseas with how well the US government handled the AIDS epidemic in Africa over the last few decades.

But please don't forget how badly the US government handled the AIDS crisis here in the USA at the beginning.

Edited by Boytjie

sad but true, sounds familiar, like a post I made a ways back.

Totally agree. The problem was and is far worse in East Africa yet only a very few people paid any attention to it until Duncan's case arrived on our shores. Although the UN's World Health Organization has repeatedly reported the issue as it pertains to East Africa, no one in Washington did or said anything, presumably because no one really cared. ............

WEST Africa. There is no ebola in East Africa.

WEST Africa. There is no ebola in East Africa.

Sorry, Peaches, but of course you are correct.

And hopefully it will stay that way with no ebola in the eastern (or southern) parts of Africa. Let's pray for eradication in West Africa.

We have plenty of medical experts in the CDC and the NIH etc; there is no need for one more. What is needed is for someone to coordinate various government agencies to work on the one problem. Ron Klain was selected for his management experience and contacts throughout the government and I have not heard any spin from him.

Nope. No spin. In fact we haven't heard anything at all from him. He even refused to be present at the hearings last week. Even a weak attempt at spin would be communicating to the public that someone in our government actually is giving a damn and doin

I'm with Sail. We have a Surgeon General with both a military and medical background (former Rear Admiral Boris D. Lushniak). Why isn't he the coordinator? Admirals, by definition, are always organizing disparate Naval operations to effect a positiv e outcome of all manner of military activities. Coordinating the governmental activities involved with the ebola scare should be easy for Adm. Lushniak to handle effectively.

This whole thing makes no sense at all. Meanwhile all we hear are the loudmouth talking heads on all the cable news outfits and all the Sunday morning "news" shows on the mainstream stations blabbing about the "pandemic" in an apparent effort to keep the hysteria alive and keep the ratings up.

Once again, the topic is how the ebola scare will affect people's travel plans. The answer is that a few will be scared, even if they are simply taking the 7 subway from La Guardia to Times Square. But I suspect that the vast majority aren't at all concerned and won't take any action at all.

Edited by Sow There

One of my few eternal regrets is that, due to prior commitments, I am unable to take advantage of HAL's incredible bargains on the Rotterdam's 35-day sailing Nov. 15 from Cape Town to Southampton. However, I will clear my calendar next year and watch for last-minute bargains, if they go through with the scheduled itinerary, part of a world cruise.

I, for one, think that the Rotterdam's altered itinerary this year is better with the West Africa ports removed. I hope that also happens next year because 10-hour stops in chaotic West Africa make no sense. Now, instead, the itinerary features overnights, including one Namibia and other one in Lisbon, both favorites.

The fire sale going on for the few remaining Rotterdam cabins this year is fueled by fearful people canceling because of Ebola. I'll take my chances next year. I worked in South Africa for three years in the 1980s and want to go back. We would arrive in Cape Town a few days in advance but tour only locally. There is plenty to see in Western Cape, as in Eastern as well. A day's drive is the Great Karoo, a desert which has some Arctic fauna, due to cold nighttime temperatures.

Edited by barante