Prices for 7 day Mediterranean cruises

apuleius

"I'm 18, can I have a beer?"

In fairness on our first cruise…. Miss W was unaware of the 21 rule until we went to lunch (it's 18 here)… she was given a champagne on arrival…. so had no idea until Master W was knocked back/asked for ID (he was 22)… as she looks older they automatically asked her which wine she would like (she actually had water)… the stewardess came to the suite with 3 champagnes…. We were also in Europe where the age is 18

It was only at dinner on the first evening she was refused service when she asked for a drink and they had ascertained who was who based on the photos kept behind the bar….

She would never have prefaced her request with i am 18….. (there are ways and means around being u21 as long as you behave)

Yes, but the so called half a dozen members of the thread are extremely well travelled and have been travelling on SB for many, many years. Armed with such information, should and would be well versed in the demographic SB are aimed at, and aiming for.

Last year Seabourn will have had at 90% capacity aproximately 650,000 passenger nights, half a dozen people, each travelling for 50 nights each would represent 300 passenger nights or 0.05%.

Hardly a demographic for a cruise line or even a single cruise, allied to this Seabourn would appear to be moving towards a different clientele with changes to dress codes, advertising etc.

All buisnesses evolve and on the way customers are lost and other gained, Seabourn is no different and has to satisfy the goals of the corporate parent.

That said as soon as we see an itinerary that appeals to us we will be booking again as Seabourn still repesents to us the best in cruise holidays, but some holiday expereiences can only be truly expereienced with an extended land based trip, horses for courses and something for everybody.

Last year Seabourn will have had at 90% capacity aproximately 650,000 passenger nights, half a dozen people, each travelling for 50 nights each would represent 300 passenger nights or 0.05%.

Hardly a demographic for a cruise line or even a single cruise, allied to this Seabourn would appear to be moving towards a different clientele with changes to dress codes, advertising etc.

All buisnesses evolve and on the way customers are lost and other gained, Seabourn is no different and has to satisfy the goals of the corporate parent.

That said as soon as we see an itinerary that appeals to us we will be booking again as Seabourn still repesents to us the best in cruise holidays, but some holiday expereiences can only be truly expereienced with an extended land based trip, horses for courses and something for everybody.

If you have been on Sb for any amount of sailings, you will know that generally SB attracts a certain clientele, which yes, i believe is well represented on this board.

The point isnt about whether 5 or 500 people are commenting, it is surely about the fact that SB cant really be compared to land based 4 star hotels isnt it??

Jenidallas,

Our 'problem' w. SB in the Med is that they close their MDR at lunch and sometimes breakfast too. Since we have visited some of these ports more than once, we,too, like on board life. If the Colonnade works well for you there is no problem. We're not particularly fond of chafing dish/buffets so this year we are having to look elsewhere for a cruise. We will miss SB. Paula

Jenidallas,

Our 'problem' w. SB in the Med is that they close their MDR at lunch and sometimes breakfast too. Since we have visited some of these ports more than once, we,too, like on board life. If the Colonnade works well for you there is no problem. We're not particularly fond of chafing dish/buffets so this year we are having to look elsewhere for a cruise. We will miss SB. Paula

It is not writ in stone that the dining room closes for breakfast and lunch.

I would get confirmation from Seabourn before you cruise with someone else.

I have never been on a Seabourn ship and had the dining room close for breakfast and lunch.

They close the Restaurant for lunch in the Caribbean too. On a little sister there's only so much Sky Bar lunch one can take.

Definitely agree. Too many Bbq's. We made it clear this time that we were really unhappy with the restaurant closure every day, after the TA when it had been open every day and the food was glorious. It really spoiled the rest of our cruise for us - we had been to most of the ports many times and want shade and a quiet meal after a few hours in the sun. There was no budging the closure even though many officers tried to persuade us how much we would enjoy the alternatives and it was us that were in the Caribbean and so should be adapting. Colonnade service for food and drinks was v poor in comparison. We did not put our deposit down on board for the first time ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Definitely agree. Too many Bbq's. We made it clear this time that we were really unhappy with the restaurant closure every day, after the TA when it had been open every day and the food was glorious. It really spoiled the rest of our cruise for us - we had been to most of the ports many times and want shade and a quiet meal after a few hours in the sun. There was no budging the closure even though many officers tried to persuade us how much we would enjoy the alternatives and it was us that were in the Caribbean and so should be adapting. Colonnade service for food and drinks was v poor in comparison. We did not put our deposit down on board for the first time ever.

There seems to be a confusion here between the small ships that are nearly gone and the Odyssey class ships.

Only Odyssey class has the Colonnade.

In fairness on our first cruise…. Miss W was unaware of the 21 rule until we went to lunch (it's 18 here)… she was given a champagne on arrival…. so had no idea until Master W was knocked back/asked for ID (he was 22)… as she looks older they automatically asked her which wine she would like (she actually had water)… the stewardess came to the suite with 3 champagnes…. We were also in Europe where the age is 18

It was only at dinner on the first evening she was refused service when she asked for a drink and they had ascertained who was who based on the photos kept behind the bar….

She would never have prefaced her request with i am 18….. (there are ways and means around being u21 as long as you behave)

It was the prefacing thing that got me. Usually the u21 crowd asks first and offers age only when asked.

Sent via squirrels and a rotary phone

There seems to be a confusion here between the small ships that are nearly gone and the Odyssey class ships.

Only Odyssey class has the Colonnade.

Stand corrected. I refer to Spirit in November 2014. A recent thread referred to the official names of places onboard and what we all call them. To me the buffet is always the colonnade!

The dining room is closed for breakfast and lunch? Is that set in stone? I am not a fan of buffets and will be very very disappointed if I have to self-serve for two meals a day.

Edited by Scott1sh

In the Caribbean on the little sisters the restaurant is open for breakfast and closed for lunch leaving the sky grill and room service.

Only three months to go before the small ships are gone so not a real issue.

Hear hear. We have cancelled 3 future cruises worth quite a lot i£££'s. I agree. From our past few cruises I'm still waiting for two room service meals that didn't turn up, pressed coffee 3 times at breakfast that didn't turn up, various other things too which let SB down big time. Two men about to fight in the club, thankfully security barred them from the club for the rest of the cruise. A couple next door on honeymoon that argued so much, he ended up sleeping in the club every night. Waiting 1hour for starters and then another 1 hour for mains in the main restaurant every night we were there. Cancelled dessert & coffee every time. People wearing Rangers and Celtic football shirts sitting at the Sky Bar with their feet up on seats having a smoke. Afternoon tea with people taking their shoes off and placing their bare feet on the seats in the obs lounge. People smoking beside the jacuzzi on deck 6 forward. I reported this but nothing happened. Disappointed with our last couple of SB cruises.

Hear hear. We have cancelled 3 future cruises worth quite a lot i£££'s. I agree. From our past few cruises I'm still waiting for two room service meals that didn't turn up, pressed coffee 3 times at breakfast that didn't turn up, various other things too which let SB down big time. Two men about to fight in the club, thankfully security barred them from the club for the rest of the cruise. A couple next door on honeymoon that argued so much, he ended up sleeping in the club every night. Waiting 1hour for starters and then another 1 hour for mains in the main restaurant every night we were there. Cancelled dessert & coffee every time. People wearing Rangers and Celtic football shirts sitting at the Sky Bar with their feet up on seats having a smoke. Afternoon tea with people taking their shoes off and placing their bare feet on the seats in the obs lounge. People smoking beside the jacuzzi on deck 6 forward. I reported this but nothing happened. Disappointed with our last couple of SB cruises.

Totally different to my experience in every respect. And on our cruise for 14 days the Odyssey was full.

You were on a different cruise and had a different experience. It doesn't negate the issues that poster mentioned.

I didn't know this board was only for negative comments. All I am saying is my experience was positive.

I didn't know this board was only for negative comments. All I am saying is my experience was positive.

IIRC it's for both. However it's always helpful to know what cruises people were on and when so apples aren't being compared to potatoes.

In planning to book a cruise I had my TA ask SB whether the MDR would be open for lunch. They told her that it was up to the Captain on a day by day basis. !!! That indeed did sound peculiar.

So I wrote to SB via their web contact form. They replied promptly. If I were more computer literate I would post their reply. In summary, the opening status and hours for breakfast would vary according to ports/tours....however they clearly stated that the MDR would be closed all days in port and open only for the one day when the ship was at sea.

The response was specifically with regard to an August cruise in the Med.

If this matter to you, I suggest that you write to SB directly.

It would be helpful if you would kindly tell us what cruise you experienced this? Date, length of cruise itinerary etc. All of this is good context for the rest of us. Many thanks

Please give more information.I had a similar experience on a Paul Gauguin cruise.No one believed me.One morning we had an empty plate sent to us because they said they were out of egg whites.Workers in overalls sat in the main Dining Room which was suppose to be Country Club casual.

We know things go wrong so if you can or want to give us some more details it would be helpful..I do believe you so please more details.

Sorry but Rangers & Celtic fans do not sit at bars together. Doesn't happen. And the Celtic supporter's 'brew' would not stretch to Seabourn.

Sorry but Rangers & Celtic fans do not sit at bars together. Doesn't happen. And the Celtic supporter's 'brew' would not stretch to Seabourn.

As neither sport really interests me I have to ask why would people rooting for teams in two totally different leagues not get along? Or are you referring to the differing seasons of hockey/basketball? Ignorance here but wouldn't the Celtic brew be Guinness?

/confuzzled:confused:

//anyone know a good or at least good fake Irish pub in Antigua for St. Patricks day?

Edited by Emperor Norton