specialty and MDR table size

cruzemaven

We are a group of 12 and wondering whether the specialty restaurants can accommodate that large a group at a table or if we will need to sit at two separate tables. Also, are there tables in the MDR that can accommodate 12 people? Thank you

I know that the MDRs have no tables that will seat 12. As far as I know, neither do the speciality restaurants.

The MDRs have four, six eight and ten top tables. It would not be possible to squeeze two more on a ten top.

Besides, that many at one table make life difficult for the servers as well as the tables around them.

It would be far better to get two tables of six and then you could alternate between the table. It makes for better conversation too.

You don't want to all sit together for a couple of reasons. One is that the table will be so big that you'll be able to talk with only the people closest to you, defeating the purpose but even more important, your service will be extremely slow and inefficient. It's very difficult for waitstaff to serve a table of ten or larger plus it'll affect your waitstaff's other tables.

Ask for two tables, either two tables for six or a table for eight and a four. You can switch around nightly so everyone can sit with the others.

Best thing to do is ask when you get on board. Depending on the ship and staff they might be able to accommodate you if you truly want to be at one table. It worked for us on the Sapphire a number of years ago.

I have seen some tables that seat 12 in Princess dining rooms.

I too have seen tables for 12 on multiple Princess ships. We have travelled with 10 on the Christmas Cruise for the past two years and we always request to be seated together. We have been accommodated. If is important to you to be seated as a family at one table, then call your TA or Princess and have all bookings for your 12 linked together and also put in a request to be seated at the same table.

On sailing day check to make sure you are all in the same dining room at the same table. Your table number and dining time and room will be on your cruise card when you check in. If you did not get your request, go see the maitre d' after you embark the ship. The time and place for meeting with the MD will be listed in the patter. It usually starts at 1:30 and runs for a couple of hours in one of the dining rooms. You can make the request again with him.

Edited by Princess Patches

I have seen three 4-top tables put together to accomodate a group of 12 in the Crown Grill recently on the Caribbean Princess.

I would personally prefer 2 tables for 6 set up side by side, because conversation would be much easier to accomplish at a smaller table.

We had a table of 11-12 on our 2 different cruises and received excellent care from our waiters. If it is important to you, then do it. I felt I could hear everyone at the table. It was fun to meet up with family or friends at the dinner table and catch up on our days events. Made our cruise special;)

We had a group of twelve and we sat 6 at two tables and rotated couples every night ? it worked perfectly and we never got a little bored by being the same for 10 nights ! The tables were right next to each other and we had the same waitstaff for both tables. The head waiter and Maitre d' set it up for us !

On one cruise we were asked in Anytime if we would share a table and wound up with a 12-top. While the folks there were a lot of fun, it did take three hours to eat dinner. Missed both seatings for the shows that night.

You can book a large party into Anytime dining if you want by calling the DINE line (type those letters on the phone). Not necessary to have either early or late seating. The Anytime waiters can handle large groups.

You can book a large party into Anytime dining if you want by calling the DINE line (type those letters on the phone). Not necessary to have either early or late seating. The Anytime waiters can handle large groups.

On some ships it is DINE. On others you need to press the button labeled for dining reservations as the number is not DINE.

We had a group of twelve and we sat 6 at two tables and rotated couples every night ? it worked perfectly and we never got a little bored by being the same for 10 nights ! The tables were right next to each other and we had the same waitstaff for both tables. The head waiter and Maitre d' set it up for us !

Exactly ... anf people can change from table to table to mix it up a bit if they wish. :D

LuLu

We are a group of 12 and wondering whether the specialty restaurants can accommodate that large a group at a table or if we will need to sit at two separate tables. Also, are there tables in the MDR that can accommodate 12 people? Thank you

We have had tables for 11 before that could have seated one more.

We once had a table for ten and it was wonderful. It did take forever to eat, but we liked all of the people so we didn't care. One night we started at 5:30 and didn't finish until after nine.

Amazingly, one night we all had halibut and every serving was prepared perfectly. I was astounded as it is usually difficult to get just one serving that is properly cooked.

We had a table of 11-12 on our 2 different cruises and received excellent care from our waiters. If it is important to you, then do it.
I'll guarantee that the people at the other tables in your waitstaff's section received much slower service than normal. There is absolutely no way for the waitstaff to handle 2-4 more people than normal in their section than if they didn't have the extra people. It's physically impossible. Edited by Pam in CA

There is absolutely no way for the waitstaff to handle 2-4 more people than normal in their section than if they didn't have the extra people. It's physically impossible.

That's how life is.

I had a great waiter on coral in anytime. Every night many people

arriving asked to be seated in her station.

When her station was full, the head waiter would simply seat the

people at a table in the next station, and make the requested waitress serve

them.

No different that when there is a party at one table which orders

every possible course on the menu; and, when something is brought

out, another person sees it, and asks for the same. This can slow

down service for other diners in the station.

Or, when a party is seated, and then a bunch of people show up late,

so half the table is not being served the same course.

Sort of par-for-the-course.

Edited by pablo222

You and all your friends are on a cruise :cool:. Why not strike out on a big adventure, meet new travelers, and sit at two or three different tables :eek:. If the 12 of you need to be chained to each other all day and at all meals why not try chartering a boat. Don't be anti social, have some fun at meals, spread out. You just might meet some fascinating and fun new people in the process :).

RB