RCCL newbie - few questions

Hello Everyone, I've never done RCCL but due to itinerary - seriously thinking of it. If things work out - it'll be on Quantum. A few questions:

*Suite Embarkation/Debarkation. I know there's a shorter line - but how 'smooth' is embarkation and debarkation?

*Chops Grille: Food-wise, how is it? To give a better idea, can you liken the food to a chain restaurant that we'd all recognize be it Outback or whatever?

*Buffet - on Oasis Class - how is the "flow" of buffet lines - and food quality and temperature?

Thank you and safe travels to all.

I have only one cruise with Royal (Allure). Embarkation is speedy, even for ordinary cabin dweller and first timer like us.

Buffet in Windjammer is nice. There are different "island" for different foods. No queue (but we were in Solarium for our embarkation lunch).

Sorry can't comment about Chop's.

Sent via TapaTalk. Sorry for typo.

Edited by anandaindonesia

If you are actually talking about Quantum:

Embarkation is going to be a totally new process. RC is promising "curb to ship in 10 minutes. ". Being in a suite shouldn't make much difference.

Chops is an excellent steakhouse. Not as "luxe" as Morton's or The Capital Grille.

As Patty wrote, the Quantum hasn't sailed yet, so the quality of the buffet is unknowable.

Edited by Merion_Mom

Sorry - should've clarified. YES if I go RCCL - Quantum would be the 1st cruise.

BUT I'm asking more about RCCL as a cruise line - and I asked Oasis Class because I figured it'll be slightly more similar and modern vs one of the oldest ships. Also, the things I was curious about would be sort of uniform thru most ships - such as Suite embarkation, or Chops Grille.

I would not rate "Chops" with Ruth Chris or Mortons....better than Outback, but only by the cut of the meat....

Getting on the ship is pretty smooth, no matter which line you're in. Sometimes, the regular lines are shorter than the "suite" checkin!

RCI does separate stations at their buffet....so you don't have to wander through a long line just to get a roll, or a dessert....the quality, temp, and selection vary from day to day, and ship to ship. There's no telling how it will be on a ship yet to sail!

Sorry - should've clarified. YES if I go RCCL - Quantum would be the 1st cruise.

BUT I'm asking more about RCCL as a cruise line - and I asked Oasis Class because I figured it'll be slightly more similar and modern vs one of the oldest ships. Also, the things I was curious about would be sort of uniform thru most ships - such as Suite embarkation, or Chops Grille.

Just one thing - the "flow" of the buffet on Oasis class has been poor, probably the worst of any class of Royal ship. Oasis herself was just modified to add more space to Windjammer (buffet), but the first cruise since the modification just began 2 days ago, so no feedback yet.

As mentioned above, Quantum has not had a revenue sailing yet, so there's no experience at all there.

You will find opinions about Chops all over the place. Personally, the price ($35, plus extra for better steaks) make it not worth it for me anymore.

Edited by clarea

IMO "Chops" is above any chain steak house and i would venture, again MO, just below something like Ruth Chris

I'll second this. But you'll have a whole new ballgame on Quantum with the Dynamic Dining deal. You'll have some options there we're all currently still wondering about.

Hope you have a great trip.

You will find opinions about Chops all over the place. Personally, the price ($35, plus extra for better steaks) make it not worth it for me anymore.

Concur, I'm done with specialty restaurants. JMHO... The MDR is still better that what I can cook, so I'm happy to stay there. Hopefully, I can continue to sail RCI ships with a MDR....:eek:

We had a GS last year on Liberty and a GS on Quantum on Dec. 12th...

*Suite Embarkation/Debarkation: As others have said, I don't think getting on the ship is much faster -- but a little probably depending how busy. Where it IS a lot faster is getting off the ship. No set time to leave (still have to leave your luggage out the night before), but in the AM just go to the lounge, relax and have a snack -- and when you're ready to leave the concierge walks you down to the front of the line through the crew areas to the front of the line (they did for us on Liberty anyway).

*Chops Grille: Better than Outback, probably not as good as Capital Grille/Del Frisco's -- but very good. Even for $35 I'd say try it once. We *loved* the service we received in the MDR so will be curious to see how DD works out.

*Buffet: Good selection, about what you'd expect for a buffet. Not sure on flow as we didn't eat for dinner, sorry. We will on Quantum though and I'll be posting a thorough-ish review directly after returning (or onboard if the Internet price is right!).