Bermuda/Changing ports..... Hurricane Gonzala

sail7seas

Good no HAL ships are headed to Bermuda from Boston. Hurricane Gonzala is hitting Bermuda very hard and Norwegian Dawn sailed to Bahamas as substitute port.

I communicated this morning with Captain Stephen Card in Bermuda and he is hunkering down. I'm sure everyone here joins in wishing him and everyone in Bermuda the very best in getting through this storm safely and with minimal damage. This sounds like a very strong hurricane aimed right at the island.

Thankfully Bermuda has great infrastructure and housing codes stronger than most anywhere on earth (concrete houses, rock-steady roofs). Thoughts to all there, the eye should skirt just left of the island in about 2 hours.

The eye is overhead right now. Sustained 79 mph winds in Hamilton. Commissioner's Point gust to 127 mph. National museum was sustained at 88 mph, guest to 110 mph.

Bermuda got hit head-on in the worst possible way. Under this mess right now is Bermuda.

image.jpg

I don't see the webcam working this morning. The news on the radio was that most of the island was without power. Bummer!

On our national news last night, they were showing clips from the PTZ webcam, too - good advertising for Lou and Dave! :)

I have sailed to Bermuda on the Veendam many times and I have also stayed at the Fairmont Southampton. They just posted on Facebook that no structural damage was done to the hotel and that they are resuming normal activities tomorrow and will be doing cleaning up.

I have sailed to Bermuda on the Veendam many times and I have also stayed at the Fairmont Southampton. They just posted on Facebook that no structural damage was done to the hotel and that they are resuming normal activities tomorrow and will be doing cleaning up.

What good news. I remember many years ago, we stayed several times at what was then Southampton Princess and a few times at something Sonesta. I hope they both weathered the storm well.