Storms

justin1830

I was on the Fascination during tropical storm Sean-the ship was delayed coming back into port, had to wait til the tide went down a little to get under the bridge so we left around midnight. The seas were rocking! We made it to HMC though, and into Nassau, still too rough to snorkel-but back in to Jacksonville, from Nassau 15-20 foot waves, we were on the Riviera, the seas were banging against the ship, the putt putt and walking track was closed, and trying to sleep on the way down and on the way back, we had to hang onto the mattress to keep from being tossed out of bed-we loved it.:D

However since we got a late start, there was a lot of heavy drinking, and very heavy seas, and a lot, I mean a lot of people were barfing everywhere. The crew put barf bags on every floor at the elevators, in the elevators, near the restaurants, it was a mess.

This cruise was before the costa disaster, and we held muster on our first sea day, that will never happen again. So we would have been leaving later, but maybe all those sick peeps would have just stayed in their cabins.:rolleyes:

I was getting a massage on a cruise once in a spa room that had a big window and a huge bolt of lightning about knocked me off the table! Actually it just startled the you know what out of me. Then it POURED on that window for the rest of my massage.

We also cruised hours before hurricane Andrew. Half the ship was empty. We left an hour early out of POM. One of our nicer cruises! Coming home was a bit bittersweet, hearing of the damages and loss, seeing trees down on the way to the airport, etc.

Our rockiest cruise was actually not a storm at all, just common seas in the Gulf of Alaska with nearly 40 knot winds. Only lasted one day and then we were out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were on a TransAtlantic on the Ocean Princess from Dover to NYC. The ship is a small one holding 680 passengers. We had an unscheduled overnight in Sidney, Nova Scotia since the winds were so strong we could not get off the dock. They had no tugboat, so we had to wait for one to arrive from Halifax.

The next day we sailed thru the remnants of a hurricane. Normally, the captain would have slowed down or sailed around the storm. However, since we were behind schedule, and had to get to NYC for everyone to get off and go home, we went thru the storm at max speed. We rolled all day. Fortunately, it was the end of a 18 day cruise and everyone had their sea legs.

We've been been in rocky seas, but not in a "storm"...either way, it's hard to use the stairs! Once, there was a thunderstorm a ways from the ship. The Captain steered around it,...lightening, rain, but we were dry, and in the sun! What a sight!

We've sailed three times as storms were afoot. We're limited to summer sailing, so we're stuck with hurricane season.

2005 - Hurricane Dennis. We sailed Carnival Conquest out of New Orleans to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. We made it to MoBay as the locals were getting ready for the storm, then skipped Grand Cayman altogether to stay away from the storm. Good news - we arrived in Cozumel early and did an overnight. Before we arrived at Cozumel, the captain advised that it was likely we would not arrive back in New Orleans on time as the storm was scheduled to make landfall on the Gulf Coast, and we would be delayed a day. We rode out the storm in the Gulf - although we were a safe distance away, the seas were rough for a while. I've never seen so many "do not disturb" signs on cabin doors.

2006 - Tropical Storm Eduardo. We were on a NYC-Canada Labor Day weekend cruise on Carnival Victory. Sailed through the remnants of the storm on the last sea day, and it was rough. The racks of little white bags made their appearance by the elevators. I didn't think it was bad, but others had a tough time.

2008 - Not a named storm, but quite the storm. A 5-day Canada cruise out of NYC, again on Carnival Victory. First sea day, youngest son and I spent a fair amount of time on deck enjoying the pools and waterslides. After son tired, we went back to the cabins. I noticed that it was clouding up. I figured it was getting foggy (very common on Canada cruises). After taking a shower, I emerged to see that the skies were dark and there was lightning all around. And then the hail started. Quarter-sized hail. We could have filled our ice bucket. The storm lasted about 10-15 minutes. Afterward, the cruise director made announcements asking people to stay away from the Lido deck - the hail had broken a number of lights on that deck. It was a large clean-up job for the crew, and they did a great job.

2010 - Hurricane Earl. This was another Labor Day weekend Canada cruise, this time on Carnival Glory. Several days before the storm the forecast was for the hurricane to come up the East Coast and head right up the Bay of Fundy - right along the course the ship was supposed to sail. We were convinced we would do the cruise to nowhere. Instead, once we boarded the captain advised that the plan was to sail faster than normal, arrive in Saint John ahead of the storm, be in port when it hit, and sail late back to NYC. It seemed counter-intuitive to me - everything I've read says that ships should be at sea away from the storm However, it worked, at least from a safety perspective. The day in port was pretty much a washout. The ship was fine, though.

Edited by nybumpkin

The worst we experienced in terms of rough seas was in the Med off the coast of Africa. Mistrals started blowing and the ship was moving all over the place. Captain ordered everyone to clear bureau tops, put anything that could 'fly' safely away, find a seat, sit down and stay in it. Door to all outside decks were tied off and we were ordered to not try to open veranda doors. It was wild, lots of broken glasses, bottles, dishes etc but all were safe and it didn't last all that long.

We have been on several cruises with storms.

One time the lightning hit the lightning rod right above our cabin.

A couple of times second seating dinner was cancelled and all passengers were ordered back to their cabins and elevators were tied off on the lowest deck -- winds and seas were really bad.

With over 80 cruises all over the world, we have NEVER been in a BAD storm.Once our total itinerary was chaanged because of a hurricane in the Caribbean. We sailed around it and never felt any discomfort.

We have sailed in rough waters. The worst was around the Falklands. but even there we managed to get onto the island for a half day.

We have done quite a few TransAtlantics and several TransPacifics with no problems.

Actually, we have rarely even had a rainy day at sea. Missed a few tender ports though.

Back in the 80's, we took a Bermuda cruise out of Boston on a Paquet ship and hit major weather problems. It was a very small ship by today's standards, so we were really rolling around. DH took his Mom on a cruise on the Zenith and hit rough seas. He mentioned that a piano let go and smashed in a lounge. We did hit very rough seas off the coast of Portugal on a cruise from the UK to Barcelona. The ship's master ordered everyone to their cabins for the night. We had a forward cabin, under the bridge and I remember taking green water over the bow - only time I have every been nervous about storms on a cruise ship.

Darcy

My wife and I were on the Sensation in '99 or so, we were forced to wait out a hurricane that was crossing through Florida. 2 extra days on the ship going in circles in the Gulf. There some scary moments and many several injuries from people falling. The crew were awesome and accommodating despite trying circumstances. I have to say it was cool to stand in front of the stack, look towards the rear of the ship and see ocean then sky ocean then sky. Crazy rocking of the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums