Obstructed Balcony???

pepsicruiser

Some of the balconies on Deck 6 will be obstructed by a view of the top half of a lifeboat. On Deck 11, and possibly 10 as well, some of the midships and aft balconies have a view partly obstructed by the large supports of the overhang from Deck 12. If you can find a photo of the Equinox it is easy to spot the obstructed views.

OD

Can anyone give me an idea of how obstructed an obstructed balcony can be on the Equinox (or other Celebrity ship)? I don't know if I should just go for an ocean view or not. TYVM

You probably should check out the S-Ship Cabin Spreadsheet STICKY at the top of this Forum for info on specific cabins you have in mind

NOTE - S Class Ships have virtually the same footprint / layout but some cabin numbers can differ... So be sure and check Deck Plans. Cabins in the same locations (even if they have different numbers) will have the same attributes

LIBRARYLADY19 maintains the S Class Spreadsheet to find her most recent update go to the last pg of the STICKY and scroll back

That said, on S Class Ships the largest issues with obstructions happen on Deck 6 in regard to the lifeboats stored below... Either their stanchions (verticals) or just by being able to have a clear view to the ocean below... Believe both are termed "partial obstructions" on Celebrity's Website (Deckplans & Booking forms)

If you do a CC or Google Search you will probably find photos

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I've just researched this myself. It seems on 2D cabins on solstice class has 50% obstruction and 2C have 30%. If you search for photos as suggested above, you'll see that lifeboat/tenders come to the level of the balcony railing of 2Ds and level with floor of 2Cs.

Hope this helps!

For what it's worth:

Here is a photo from the "hump" of the Eclipse (same configuration as the Equinox) looking back towards the aft 2C cabins. There are no 2D cabins in this view but on the 2D cabins the lifeboats come up just above the top of the white supports.

IMG_3944-W-M.jpg

Here is a photo of the aft of the Equinox, taken by Andrew Depping and on his cruise ship photo site. Mr. Depping lives in Germany, I'm guessing not far from the shipyard that built the S class ships, and his photo site has lots of photos of them during and just after construction. You can see the taller lifeboat/tenders in front of the 2D cabins and the shorter lifeboats in front of the 2C cabins. If you look carefully you'll notice you can see the bottom of the railing behind of the 2C cabins but that the boats in front of the 2D cabins block about 2/3 or 3/4 of the railing height from the view in the photo.

cabin004.JPG

Edited by Lsimon

For what it's worth:

Here is a photo from the "hump" of the Eclipse (same configuration as the Equinox) looking back towards the aft 2C cabins. There are no 2D cabins in this view but on the 2D cabins the lifeboats come up just above the top of the white supports.

IMG_3944-W-M.jpg

Here is a photo of the aft of the Equinox, taken by Andrew Depping and on his cruise ship photo site. Mr. Depping lives in Germany, I'm guessing not far from the shipyard that built the S class ships, and his photo site has lots of photos of them during and just after construction. You can see the taller lifeboat/tenders in front of the 2D cabins and the shorter lifeboats in front of the 2C cabins. If you look carefully you'll notice you can see the bottom of the railing behind of the 2C cabins but that the boats in front of the 2D cabins block about 2/3 or 3/4 of the railing height from the view in the photo.

cabin004.JPG

Thanks for the pix ....they really gave me a good idea of what to expect.

We have recently returned from a 12 day cruise on the Equinox. This was our second time in a category 2C, partially obstructed cabin, and for some reason I felt a little more claustrophobic this time around, as the bright orange lifeboats seemed more obvious somehow.

We were still able to enjoy the fresh sea air from our balcony, but after a while I came to resent the big hulking craft that were always just within my field of vision(specially when seated). However, I was willing to put up with it because of the substantial savings, and for us, a balcony, even with the obstructed view, is still preferable to an ocean view cabin.

I would avoid an obstructed view if you can. The presence of the lifeboat can be annoying and the obstructed view of early port approaches while lying in bed is very annoying. Overall no deal breaker, but better without obstructed view.

Thanks to everyones input I took 6210 obstructed view but it is on an angle so feel confident no problems will arise. It's in Europe so everyday we will be going off the ship when in port(not like in Caribbean where we stay on ship everyday as we have been too many times to those ports).

TY again for your help.

Personally, I love deck 6 2C on Solstice class. The obstruction doesn't bother me at all, in fact, I barely notice it, and these are great value. We enjoy being so close to the entertainment and dining decks. I can only walk 2-3 flights of stairs at a time, so being on deck 6 I feel encouraged to use the stairs more.

We were on the Equinox Sept 20 sailing and had a 2C, cabin 6156. We found the obstruction not to be an issue at all. We were on the angle so had a deeper balcony and were just around the corner from the elevator & stairs. I wouldn't hesitate to choose this cabin again.

P9210322_zpsa762dc5b.jpg

Edited by GoldenRetriever

For what it's worth:

IMG_3944-W-M.jpg

cabin004.JPG

I know about the window washing equipment on the left side of photo of Deck 11, but what is the white, rectangular metal equipment on the right side of photo, Deck 11?

Thanks

Edited by tbmrt
added

We have four 2B cabins booked on Equinox (6138-40-42-44) that are forward, non-obstructed, but appear to look down on something and not directly to the water. Anyone have experience with these? They are not listed on the S-class Spreadesheet.

I know about the window washing equipment on the left side of photo of Deck 11, but what is the white, rectangular metal equipment on the right side of photo, Deck 11?

Thanks

We have four 2B cabins booked on Equinox (6138-40-42-44) that are forward, non-obstructed, but appear to look down on something and not directly to the water. Anyone have experience with these? They are not listed on the S-class Spreadesheet.

For both the above questions, if you click on the photo above with the Depping watermark on it you'll go to his web site and you'll see other photos that have close up views of the Equinox areas in question. These might help answer your questions. You can navigate around his site to see his other photos. All together they're really a treasure of photographic information on the ships.

I would avoid an obstructed view if you can. The presence of the lifeboat can be annoying and the obstructed view of early port approaches while lying in bed is very annoying. Overall no deal breaker, but better without obstructed view.

We have a Cat 2D cabin for our Solstice cruise next Feb 6206. The deal when we booked a year ago (doesn't time fly) when compared to an oceanview room was too good to turn down and the higher up cabins were also priced significantly higher at the time.

the idea of lying in bed when coming into port is not something we will be contemplating so we wont have a problem. Too much to do and too little time

As this will be our first cruise we have nothing to compare our cabin with.

We booked a 2B cabin - 6132 -close to your cabins but on Solstice and we were really pleased with it. This cabin looked out on a metal white platform just below before you see deck 5 board walk just a little further along to the right - as the photo below shows taken from our balcony. I think your cabins will be either over or the white barrel thing or in between that and the top right hand white structure. See the next photo below for a different view from decks 5. I think you will be fine:)

1457611_313280348864857_9215508293604242733_n.jpg?oh=f2c81dfc42ee7d892f5520f307717b8e&oe=54AC9899&__gda__=1425439571_a96573334306bbe9a11c2d37eaa5179b

10473176_313280648864827_1646828081921656694_n.jpg?oh=cda08a10a98e5083ec583866a246a3dc&oe=54B59755

Edited by Embrace

Thanks

Thanks for the link to see the Equinox photos.

I checked out the photo and determined that this is probably Cabin 1556 - Aqua Class. I then checked out the S class cabin sticky and saw this comment re: 1556:

Some obstructions. This cabin perhaps gets the brunt of the window washing equipment.(support pole, fold out basket & suspended basket

I would be very disappointed if I paid for Aqua Class and received this cabin assignment.

You will not have a problem with 6210 - we have just returned from equinox in this cabin - yes you can see the tender but it occupies only the left 3rd of the balcony view, plus you get the bonus of the extra large balcony. We normally stay one deck up on 7, which we do prefer, but only because we prefer to walk out the corridor in to the open space of 'Team Earth' rather than the outer wall of the ilounge. Other than that the room was great at a great price.