Question about on-board accounting for drinks package drinks

jan-n-john

How does one's use of the beverage package get reflected in the statement one receives at the end of the trip. Is there no accounting at all of what we drink? Does the statement show what we ordered but with no charge? Does the statement show the normal charge and then an equivalent credit?

We are planning a number of future cruises, and have one coming up shortly where we have the package. Just this once I'd like to keep close track to see how much value we actually get out of it, for future reference. To do that, do I have to do it manually or will my statement at the end of the trip give me what I'm looking for?

Edited by jan-n-john

It will, or should, show charges for each drink at a zero dollar amount. But you won't be able to tell if it is a bottle of water or a martini unless you can tell from the time or name of the lounge.

There have been many times when my card has neither been swiped of even taken to have info written down. All the server knew was that I had a prem package.

Word is staff get paid their tips from the package by logging drinks served, so they generally do ring up everything, but you won't know specifically what you had, just venue name and date and time and zero dollars.

But since you can only order 1 drink at a time, you will at least know each line item was a particular drink, and likely can recall roughly from memory what it was.

If an accurate tracking is important, stop by guest services daily and get a printout and make notes as to what each line was daily rather than wait for the final bill.

I did this on a charter sailing to see if I was really getting value from packages (charter did not allow packages so it was pay as I go). I found in my circumstances on a 7 night cruise, I was about $50 ahead by paying as I go versus buying a package. But a free package would have been valuable to me.

Exception may be in MDR wherein they take all your drinks and often just enter at one time, so if you get a water, cocktail and glass of wine that are all under the package, you may see just 1 zero dollar line item that would entail all 3 on the same charge slip that you may or may not have been presented to sign. Often the MDR staff will take your details the 1st night, and keep them written down so they never ask for your card again for the rest of the cruise.

I did this on a charter sailing to see if I was really getting value from packages (charter did not allow packages so it was pay as I go). I found in my circumstances on a 7 night cruise, I was about $50 ahead by paying as I go versus buying a package. But a free package would have been valuable to me.

Any chance you might have had a few more drinks if you were on a package?:rolleyes:

Any chance you might have had a few more drinks if you were on a package?:rolleyes:

On our Reflection cruise we probably drank more specialty coffee's and Bottled water. Also having a nice glass of wine with lunch a beer here and there. It does add up.We came out ahead about $150. I'm thinking with more port days than sea days would cut down on consumption also. Only 2 sea days on our upcoming cruise has us debating on what to do. Probably do a Premium for me and premium non- alcohol for DW.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

Actually, in my case, no, I probably had MORE drinks than I normally would have due to the parties at the pool each day. I still ordered Grey Goose rather then the call brands, I still kept to my Evian, and extra shot americano in the morning at Al Bacio, and bought Evian bottles while leaving the ship for excursions. I got cans of coke in the buffet with lunch etc. Fresh squeezed OJ with breakfast versus the machine served stuff.

My analysis was versus paying for the Premium package with gratuity, as I do prefer the premium brands.

As it was on Summit there was no Molecular Bar. Had there been a Molecular bar, MAYBE I'd have had a few more of those.....

I'm a bit finicky with my drinks....!

I may have bought a bottle of wine or more if I had the 20% off with premium beverage package, but on this one I just stuck with glasses of wine.

I'm not a big drinker really, and just because something is free doesn't mean I want more of it. I just want what I want and buy what I want when I want it.

Also of note, on the charter, there were none of the typical Elite events - no cocktail hour etc...

Edited by cle-guy

On your folio it will show that a purchase was made and charged. It will show a time but that may not really be correct as the time is when the server makes the entry. If you are in a dining room or theater it does not appear as that location but the station that it was obtained from by the server.

It will not show the cost or what the purchase was.

Unless you keep a record you will have a difficult time trying to figure out if it was as water, soft drinks and etc because those can be obtained from almost any bar. Coffee can be also be obtained from many bars. Alcohol can be obtained from the coffee cafe and etc.

Drink up 🍸🍺🍻

Strange, but my cruises were different. The drinks that I consumed within the package did not show on my regular bill on line or printed. At the end of the cruise I received a separate bill showing all the swips/charges fro drinks. It listed the time and place. It did not have the regular cost ($0), but I believed it listed the actual drink. If you know the prices of the drinks you could calculate it. As far as I could tell it listed all the drinks whether my card was swiped (almost always) or they just remembered me and manually put it in. This was true for all our cruises with the package except one where I did not receive the list at the end of the cruise.

If you wish to me 100% certain you could keep a daily list because you will not need to sign for each drink and you will not receive a receipt for each drink.

It is easier for me to just compare to a cruise that I did not have a package, but I do find that I drink more alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks when on the package. I also make less use of the free Elite cocktails offered with or without the coupons. Just easier to have my choice with the package.

I always upgrade to the premium package because of the better selection of wines and beers.

Enjoy your experience with your first drink package.