Allure ships feta cheese at the buffet

Hey Cruisers,

I was recently on the Allure ship and had this amazing cheese I think it's feta at the buffet. It did not have a sign during the times I was there but can anyone tell me if they make it or buy it? And if you have tried that particular feta cheese when can I get it? I have tried some feta cheese and I don't like the taste...just like the blue cheese I can't stand that taste. But on Allure I tasted this cheese that was creamy and salty feta cheese and really enjoyed it. So I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with what brand or kind of feta cheese it is so I can run to get it :) TIA

Angie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Real Feta is made with sheeps milk, but for some reason all American-made fetas as cows milk. It can be hard to find sheep feta in the supermarket, but I've seen Greek and Israeli versions of it at Trader Joe's. Any imported sheep feta should be closer in taste to what you had on the ship.

Edited by ahecht

Real Feta is made with sheeps milk, but for some reason all American-made fetas as cows milk. It can be hard to find sheep feta in the supermarket, but I've seen Greek and Israeli versions of it at Trader Joe's. Any imported sheep feta should be closer in taste to what you had on the ship.

Would it taste like that with sheep's milk "strong blue cheese taste"? Because when I tried it on the ship it was really creamy like almost cream cheese like and salty with no "blue cheese" tasting.

Would it taste like that with sheep's milk "strong blue cheese taste"? Because when I tried it on the ship it was really creamy like almost cream cheese like and salty with no "blue cheese" tasting.

A funky blue cheese flavor comes from aging, like you get with some Greek or Greek-style fetas. If you want mild, go with a French sheep feta such as Valbreso (which is creamy and tends to not be very tangy or have much bite) or Danish cow feta (also sometimes called Danish White Cheese, Danish Salad Cheese, or Apetina).

A funky blue cheese flavor comes from aging, like you get with some Greek or Greek-style fetas. If you want mild, go with a French sheep feta such as Valbreso (which is creamy and tends to not be very tangy or have much bite) or Danish cow feta (also sometimes called Danish White Cheese, Danish Salad Cheese, or Apetina).

Thanks!!! Answers I'm looking for :) so do you know if I can get it at Trader Joes or Whole Foods?

Thanks!!! Answers I'm looking for :) so do you know if I can get it at Trader Joes or Whole Foods?

I got cubes of Danish Feta at Trader Joe's a couple of years ago, but I haven't looked for it recently. I don't remember seeing a French feta there. I don't shop at Whole Foods much, sorry I'm not sure what they'd have.

Now THIS is a thread. Love it.

Love feta. I've found things to like about each one, though I like some more than others. How about you?

OP, since the cruis eline likely buys bulk products and may sometimes change suppliers, your odds of discovering the brand of that specific cheese on your sailing and then finding that exact same brand in your local store are not good. Have you considered going to a good cheese shop that might allow you to try some samples? It would be a shame if you bought multiple packages of chees in a illusive search for "the one."

Probably best to call the store in your area and ask. Not sure how anyone will know what is available at the supermarkets in your particular city

good luck

M