Re booking hotels pre-cruise

HMSDingy

In most cases, with standard hotels and hotel chains, there is no cost to book your hotel any time prior to your arrival date. So there is no reason to wait. You can always cancel, particularly if the price should happen to go down.

With of the discount systems you do pay in advance. So it up to you which way you book, and if you can pay up front. Be very aware of cancelation fees for the discount operations.

Also learn the peak seasons where you are going. Peak season can certainly drive up your rate, and also fill the hotels, so waiting too long can severely affect availability.

There is no hard and fast rule on when to book.

Edited by CruiserBruce

In most cases, with standard hotels and hotel chains, there is no cost to book your hotel any time prior to your arrival date. So there is no reason to wait. You can always cancel, particularly if the price should happen to go down.

With of the discount systems you do pay in advance. So it up to you which way you book, and if you can pay up front. Be very aware of cancelation fees for the discount operations.

Also learn the peak seasons where you are going. Peak season can certainly drive up your rate, and also fill the hotels, so waiting too long can severely affect availability.

There is no hard and fast rule on when to book.

Tks. Since you're from LA, is February considered peak? We're looking to book the doubletree in San Pedro.

Tks. Since you're from LA, is February considered peak? We're looking to book the doubletree in San Pedro.

I am actually from Northern California, just north of SF. But I would demand to be higher anytime there is a cruise ship is in.

Under most circumstances, the longer you wait, the more you pay. I would have booked February a long time ago.

Agree totally.

Sometimes I book many months in advance, but only if the cancellation policy allows me to cancel with no charge if my plans change. I just booked a room in Barcelona for a cruise that is just under a year away, because I wanted to be sure I would be able to get a room in a particular, and popular, area of Barcelona.

Edited by flamomo

If you book with a booking company, like “ Booking.com” you’re able to cancel anytime, up until a day or two prior arrival date. ;)

All you need to do, is join their net work, and have their site on your “Bookmark” for easy access any time you want to check your reservations and/or cancel at no cost. :D

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 OCT, 2013, 19 Days, Canada - New England, Quebec City - New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 Ncruise - ov. - 01 Dec. 2013, 7 days Eastern Caribbean - FLL round trip

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 -24 Jan. 2014, 4 Days California Costal

29th cruise - Crown Princess, 03 - 10 May, 2014, LA - Vancouver

30th cruise - Pacific Princess, 05 - 12 Aug. 2014, 7 Day, Vancouver RT Alaska

31st cruise - Golden Princess, 13 - 17 Oct. 2014, 4 Days, LA, Mexico RT

Book asap. In San Pedro those hotels will fill up. I don't notice the prices fluctuating there.

Ft. Lauderdale I book very early. Prices go up quickly and choice hotels book up too. For this Dec. I booked last February.

And I booked the same hotel much later and am paying a whole lot more that you are. But you already know that. ;)

Most hotels allow cancellations between 24-72 hours, so you're not really out anything if you have to cancel....book whenever! If there is a special hotel you really want to be in , book as far in advance as you can, so you'll be sure to get what you want!

In the US and Canada we book when we do for our airline tickets. In Europe last October we booked the same time as our cruise and saved over $100 on our room vs booking 90 days ahead like some folks do. We got the Club level floor we wanted and free use of the Electric Smart Car at the Arts Hotel in Barcelona. Now that is the way to start a Cruise!

Another dumb question but how soon before a cruise should we book our hotel?

I booked my hotel for our January 17th sailing the other day. Check out the West Coast Departures board. I ended up (using Priceline) getting Los Angeles Crowne Plaza for $75 +tax by bidding. (first try) You might look into that. They offer free shuttle from hotel to the pier. Several others are getting same price.

I booked my hotel for our January 17th sailing the other day. Check out the West Coast Departures board. I ended up (using Priceline) getting Los Angeles Crowne Plaza for $75 +tax by bidding. (first try) You might look into that. They offer free shuttle from hotel to the pier. Several others are getting same price.

Please don't confuse those who aren't aware of location. You did not book Los Angeles; you booked San Pedro. Los Angeles hotel is not going to transport to the pier.

Edited by Pia1913

Please don't confuse those who aren't aware of location. You did not book Los Angeles; you booked San Pedro. Los Angeles hotel is not going to transport to the pier.

you are correct. I booked and bid San Pedro. I will be taking Super Shuttle from the Airport for my transport to hotel. The hotel will provide transport to the cruise pier. I will need Super Shuttle or other shuttle back to LAX.

Thank you for making this more clear.