Crown Princess vs RC...our thoughts....

As promised, a mini review of our Crown Princess cruise.....I will say that RC is our preferred cruise line.

We are D+ and love Royal Caribbean. We took this cruise with friends who we “owed” because they took their first RC cruise with us in May on the Navigator. It was a nice itinerary of the California coast visiting San Francisco, Santa Barbara, San Diego and Ensenada. Weather was perfect!

We always arrive the day prior to avoid any stress of travel snafu’s. Well this time that backfired on us.

First our plane was 40 minutes late arriving in PHX. Then it took longer to board than the usual time on SWA. Then once boarded we had to wait for paper work to be completed. We taxied out and were promptly held on the taxiway for “VIP traffic in LA. Obama was in LA. We sat for 30 minutes, We finally were able to take off, now almost 2 hours late. The flight itself was flawless and just 58 minutes.

Once in LAX it was a quick baggage claim and out to the center curb for the hotel shuttle. Normally it comes every 20 minutes, but because of Obama in LA things were backed up and we waited one hour. All in all it took just about 5 hours to get to LA. ...we could have driven!! That is just one reason you need to arrive the day before.We stayed at the Marriott LAX, and took Princess shuttles in the morning.

This being our first Princess cruise we really didn't know what to expect outside the standard cruise experience.

We found the ship itself to be out somewhat outdated and chopped up. We also found it difficult to get use to deck names vs deck numbers, but after 4 or 5 days we pretty much had that figured out! I really missed RC's electronic “Way Finders”

As for the ship being out dated, it may have been the over all décor, however I did see a lot of rust and crust that needs attention. The dining room had all wood paneling and very few windows, first ship we ever had encountered that way.

Our cabin category was BA # 422 on the Baja, which is deck 11. It was a good mid ship location. Although that category didn’t work for us, it was too small and congested. The balcony was a decent size, fully covered and we enjoyed that every day. The cabin had just a small side chair that was always in the way, we were constantly moving it away from the corner fridge to get to the ice or then moving it away from the balcony door. It was a no win situation there. The desk area had good storage but very poor lighting. The bathroom was standard, the shower head was not height adjustable. The best feature of the cabin was the closet!! It was separate from the main cabin and across from the bathroom making it seem like a walk in...a girls dream come true!! :)

With all that said about the cabin, I can’t compare it to any RC’s cabin because all of them have either a love seat or full size sofa, something we missed. We knew that when we booked the cruise, so can’t say we weren’t aware of that, but once in the cabin we found it to be difficult for us. We are use to a D or Jr Suite category. We did visit friends who had a Mini Suite, it was very nice and spacious. That would have to be our cabin choice for any future Princess cruises.

Food is very subjective, so I will just say it was good and at least in my eyes, I didn’t have to shop, cook or clean it up! :D

Our first night dinner was slow, 3 hours, service wasn’t good we think our waiter had a new assistant. We heard so much about Princess pizza, hot dogs and hamburgers, so of course we had to try those, yes, very good and better than RC’s.

The Horizon Court Buffet food service stations was very small and congested not set up very well. Seating was abundant and nice service by crew for beverages and they always helped find you a table. I really had to laugh at the crew stationed at the entrance and exit.....you couldn't cheat on either one, trust me I got scolded a few times ....you think they would have given a poor lady like me with a cane a break....but not so. LOL

Room service for morning coffee was impressive, after calling, it was always at the door with in 10 minutes. We didn’t try any of the other restaurants, every day I said I was going to go to the International Café on deck 5 for some of the tasty sandwiches and treats I heard about, but I never got there! Sometimes a 7 day cruise just isn’t long enough!!! :eek:

One thing we found to be difficult was the timing of the evening shows. Because of Anytime Dining, the theater fills up and those with main dining can’t get there early enough. It was simpler when they had 2 shows and it coordinated with main and late dining times.

Princess has excellent embarkation, disembarkation and transfers system something RC can take a lesson from! Simple, fast and organized!

Overall we had a very nice cruise, glad we experienced it. I would probably try another Princess cruise, but DH would really have to think about it. I will borrow something a friend said , for a good rate and itinerary, we can be bought!! ;)

A few comments on the Marriott LAX....hotel has 945 rooms and no free internet in the guest rooms, only the lobby. Sheesh! I complained at the desk about that, I think the deck agent took pity on me with my cane and comped the internet fee.

Their breakfast buffet was very confusing, one buffet 3 different prices.

Full buffet, continental buffet and another type I can't remember the name of. So how does the server know exactly what you had??? :confused:

We did get a good tip from the hotel bus driver telling is to go to the SW

baggage claim for the Princess shuttles because that is the first stop.

That worked out great, first ones on the bus! We're off to a good week!!

Overall we had a nice cruise, enjoyed many of the features and met some great people. I tried not to be a "Negative Nellie" , yet, also wanted to be honest on our experience.

A few more random thoughts....

The cabin shower had the dreaded shower curtain! The shower head was not height adjustable, so that was difficult. The bathroom had 3 small open shelves.

I thought the Alfredo was very good, I had them add chicken one night, I had it as an appetizer one or two nights. The menu was mediocre in selections, I don't remember anything outstanding.

We only attended one formal evening, the second one we ate at the buffet, Italian night, it was very good, probably the best dinner of the week.

Because I was on pain management medication for my back and leg issues, I couldn't have alcohol, so I purchased the Ultimate Kids Package, it was $49 for unlimited soda and all the non alochol drinks and shakes you could possibly handle......I got my monies worth!:D :D

We had a nice Meet and Greet on Sunday the first sea day, it was nice to meet everyone and to put faces to names!

Linda ...

We're glad that you and Mike had the opportunity to experience Princess. We've sailed with them on nine occasions (twice on Crown), and at one time it was our favorite cruise line. It took a while, but the effect of the Carnival umbrella has become obvious to us ... less attention to maintenance, more limited menu options, a general downgrade in dining room service (I'm certain that the waitstaff now has more tables), and a bunch of little things here and there ... more of a feeling than anything definitive. It just doesn't feel like the same cruise line.

We love the Piazza and International Cafe ... but you're right about getting used to a different style of ship (and they're all pretty much the same). We feel that food is a bit better, although Royal has made great strides in the right direction in the last couple of years.

We'll also sail with Princess again, but only out of Houston (we're less than an hour from the port) and only if there's an offer we can't refuse. The itinerary isn't an issue ... we've been to those Western Caribbean ports so often, we might be eligible for citizenship.

Josie and I look forward to sailing with you in May aboard Radiance.

Al

Linda ...

We're glad that you and Mike had the opportunity to experience Princess. We've sailed with them on nine occasions (twice on Crown), and at one time it was our favorite cruise line. It took a while, but the effect of the Carnival umbrella has become obvious to us ... less attention to maintenance, more limited menu options, a general downgrade in dining room service (I'm certain that the waitstaff now has more tables), and a bunch of little things here and there ... more of a feeling than anything definitive. It just doesn't feel like the same cruise line.

We love the Piazza and International Cafe ... but you're right about getting used to a different style of ship (and they're all pretty much the same). We feel that food is a bit better, although Royal has made great strides in the right direction in the last couple of years.

We'll also sail with Princess again, but only out of Houston (we're less than an hour from the port) and only if there's an offer we can't refuse. The itinerary isn't an issue ... we've been to those Western Caribbean ports so often, we might be eligible for citizenship.

Josie and I look forward to sailing with you in May aboard Radiance.

Al

Thanks Al...we too look foreword to our Radiance cruise in May!

We'll have plenty to compare!

LOL about the citizenship!!

Thanks Al...we too look foreword to our Radiance cruise in May!

We'll have plenty to compare!

LOL about the citizenship!!

The Radiance is a beautiful ship, old style without the shopping mall, and extra 2000 cruisers of the newer RCL ships!:D

Have fun!

sounds like you are on an older ship...

Actually, it was launched in 2006 and refurbished in 2011. Save for the newest ships in the fleet, it has all the amenities.

The Radiance is a beautiful ship, old style without the shopping mall, and extra 2000 cruisers of the newer RCL ships!:D

Have fun!

Radiance Class ships are specifically designed for shipboard viewing, with much floor-to-ceiling glass. We've sailed Vision, Radiance, Voyager and Freedom Class ships. Each has its own features, and we wouldn't hesitate to cruise on any of them. We have no interest in Oasis and Quantum Class ships ... just our preference.

We recently went on another Princess cruise (our 3rd) and I'd say your review is very right on... We had a great cruise on Princess and we'd go on it again if the itinerary and price were right, but overall we prefer RCI. I think there is some familiarity factor since we've sailed on RCI and Celebrity. There is also some "perk" factor having better levels on the loyalty clubs.

Still, Princess is a great alternative and I certainly wouldn't turn down a Princess cruise.

I wish that RCI had the International Cafe. It would then be perfect :)

Tom

Not at all ... these folks are D+ cruisers with Royal Caribbean and the OP simply posted her impressions of her first Princess cruise. She did in fact state that some aspects of the shipboard experience were superior to Royal Caribbean's (including food), as well as the debarkation process. She also noted that they'd sail with Princess again.

I've cruised with both lines extensively, and didn't read anything that I deem unreasonable ... in fact, since I have a more substantial sample (9 cruises), I believe that the OP's comments were pretty much spot-on. It does take a bit of time to get used to the layout (and all of Princess' larger ships are virtually identical), the decor is somewhat more "refined," and we also prefer that the decks be referred to by number. As I noted in my reply, Princess has slowly become "Carnivalized," and the overall experience just isn't what it was ... yet we'll also cruise with them again (only out of Houston, though).

I guess that's why there are different cruise lines ... guaranteed that there are threads stating the exact opposite of this one.

Al

I'd agree with you, each cruise line has its pluses, and recently thee has been some great deals on Princess that allow RCL cruisers a chance to try them out!:D

We recently went on another Princess cruise (our 3rd) and I'd say your review is very right on... We had a great cruise on Princess and we'd go on it again if the itinerary and price were right, but overall we prefer RCI. I think there is some familiarity factor since we've sailed on RCI and Celebrity. There is also some "perk" factor having better levels on the loyalty clubs. Still, Princess is a great alternative and I certainly wouldn't turn down a Princess cruise.

It's always nice to have options ... and having sailed with both RCI and Princess extensively, we wouldn't hesitate to cruise with either. Home for us is Houston/Galveston ... several options (RCI, Princess, NCL, Carnival), all with the same Western Caribbean itineraries. I listed them in order of preference. My only general comment is that RCI seems to be headed upward (especially as concerns food) while Princess appears to be going south ... it's got to be that Carnival influence.

I'd agree with you, each cruise line has its pluses, and recently there have been some great deals on Princess that allow RCL cruisers a chance to try them out!:D

We sailed seven nights out of Houston a few months back for under $300/pp (a bit over $400 including tax, tag and title). Current fares are in the $400 range (add about $100 for tax) ... at those prices, we can't afford to stay home. If we didn't have Royal Caribbean here, we'd still be cruising with Princess.

Edited by jewopaho

Thank you for the well balanced review, Linda. We are also primarily RCI cruisers who are booked on the Crown in 2016, same itinerary. I agree 100% about the cabins. That little chair was always in our way on the Golden in a Caribe balcony. We did book a mini on the Caribbean Princess and really loved that cabin. The minis are also more affordable on Princess than the JS category on RCI. The D category balcony cabins on most RCI ships satisfy our needs nicely. That said, we are booked in an "unobstructed" obstructed OV on the Crown as we figure the weather will be too chilly for us to enjoy a balcony in April on the Pacific Coast. The location is across from the Centrum elevators and the reviews on it are great. Hopefully, we won't regret that choice.

The food had on the Golden Princess a few years ago was probably the best I have ever had on any ship.

We prefer the layout of the RC ships, but we are not put off by the Princess ships. It takes a little bit of planning to get from here to there. We used the one deck that goes through as our "expressway". Also, the outdoor promenade came in handy.

The Diamond perks we have are an incentive to return to RCI. As long as they are not watered down, we will probably keep coming back to RCI if the price and itinerary are what we want. Other cruses, we have sailed other lines for either a better itinerary or price. As Linda said, I can be bought!

If RCI were to come out with a comparable Pacific Coastal in May 2016 for a comparable price to our booked Crown cruise I would cancel and go with them. However, I won't hold my breath for that. :rolleyes:

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

The food we had on the Golden Princess a few years ago was probably the best I have ever had on any ship.

We prefer the layout of the RC ships, but we are not put off by the Princess ships. It takes a little bit of planning to get from here to there. We used the one deck that goes through as our "expressway". Also, the outdoor promenade came in handy.

The Diamond perks we have are an incentive to return to RCI. As long as they are not watered down, we will probably keep coming back to RCI if the price and itinerary are what we want. Other cruses, we have sailed other lines for either a better itinerary or price. As Linda said, I can be bought!

We felt the same way about the food on Golden when we sailed to Alaska a few years back. The cuisine on the Caribbean a couple of months ago wasn't nearly as good ... it's that Carnival thing.

Yeah ... the Promenade Deck (7) is a freeway for Princess ships. Unfortunately, it's also the venue for photos, specialty restaurants, night clubs and lounges ... it's pretty congested most of the time.

We definitely enjoy the perks that come with Diamond status ... we're Platinum on Princess, which also comes with some nice goodies. It's generally not an issue when we plan our cruises, but we do prefer RCI's package.

NCL is coming to Houston, and we'll certainly look into what they have to offer. The itinerary is the same, so it's all about the ship for us ... but they've got to make us an offer we can't refuse.

Edited by jewopaho

Arizona cruise chic, we haven't sailed on Princess for a while but do miss their pizza and burger grill by the pool. Sorrento's can't hold a candle to Princess Pizza. The Dog House is a step in the right direction.

Thanks for the comparison.

Andrew

Actually, it was launched in 2006 and refurbished in 2011. Save for the newest ships in the fleet, it has all the amenities.

Radiance Class ships are specifically designed for shipboard viewing, with much floor-to-ceiling glass. We've sailed Vision, Radiance, Voyager and Freedom Class ships. Each has its own features, and we wouldn't hesitate to cruise on any of them. We have no interest in Oasis and Quantum Class ships ... just our preference.

Voyager and Freedom are OK, but still are floating shopping malls!

Vission a little small, that's why we think the Radiance Class is the perfect size!:D

We also have enjoyed our Princess cruises ( #3 ) but overall prefer Royal. We find their cabins larger I did like the closest on our Princess Coastal a year ago. We find the ships on Royal much easier to navigate

We agree that RC ships are easier to navigate.

Loved the closet on the Crown. :)

Maybe we can squeeze in something until then!! :D :D :D***

If you're serious, check the January prices for the Navigator out of Galveston ... we booked the 18th, only six weeks after we sail on 12/7. At those fares, we can't afford to stay home! We figure that we'll eat more than we spend.

FYI ... air r/t from Phoenix is only around $275/pp on Southwest, nonstop in both directions. Cruise prices, of course, vary by accommodations, but even a balcony is going for around $750/pp including tax, tag and title.

Al

If you're serious, check the January prices for the Navigator out of Galveston ... we booked the 18th, only six weeks after we sail on 12/7. At those fares, we can't afford to stay home! We figure that we'll eat more than we spend.

FYI ... air r/t from Phoenix is only around $275/pp on Southwest, nonstop in both directions. Cruise prices, of course, vary by accommodations, but even a balcony is going for around $750/pp including tax, tag and title.

Al

Thanks for the info, just can't commit right now, it would be a last minute booking after the first of the year.

Thanks for the info. We are going on our first Princess cruise in April and have been trying to get more details. We will be on Coral Princess for 11 days doing the Partial Panama Canal itinerary.

We were booked in a regular balcony cabin and I was very glad to see a special for a mini-suite that I happily grabbed. Although they showed ample square footage, the diagram looked really small.

Thanks for the info. We are going on our first Princess cruise in April and have been trying to get more details. We will be on Coral Princess for 11 days doing the Partial Panama Canal itinerary.

We were booked in a regular balcony cabin and I was very glad to see a special for a mini-suite that I happily grabbed. Although they showed ample square footage, the diagram looked really small.

We did the partial crossing with Princess and enjoyed ourselves. We chose the itinerary that stopped in Grand Cayman VS Jamica, on the Iasland Princess. We had a PHS which was midship, as we had 2 adults and or DS.

The ship layout was awkward, but it is a narrow ship to fit in the canal. We studied the ship plans which helped. Great history on this cruise and the sights are amazing. Our sailing previous was on Oasis and the Island Princess might have fit in Central Park.;)

Enjoy your cruise.

I looked at MS diagrams before we cruised, I thought they looked small.

Surprisingly they were better than thought. MS are long and narrow vs. JS on RC are more square.

I think you will be happy with a MS....if we cruise Princess again, it would have to be a MS or better.

Enjoy your cruise!