The GRANDE Restaurant Questions

YEA! I hope they do turn people away at the door.

If you don't know what 'formal attire' is, then this isn't the place for you.

So happy to hear this, we would dine there every night. Love dressing for dinner!

:):):):):):)

The description on RCI site says first night smart casual. For remainder it says jacket required for men. No mention of ties suits or tuxedos

Where did you find that description? I could only find Formal Every night.

I also hope they enforce the dress code. We have always followed the dress code suggestions for the MDR including our three sons from smart casual to formal. It seems the Grande is the answer for those who don't want wear formal wear and hopefully they will not try to get by and not follow the suggested guidelines. Call me crazy, but it bugs me to see people in shorts and flip flops on formal night in the MDR.

Apparently the attire has not been enforced on the Maiden/Transatlantic cruise. But, this is a shakedown cruise. I think it is too early to determine how strictly the dress will be enforced in the future.

Oh boy, here we go.

Dress pants and a dress shirt are not formal. However, in this day and age of casualness, I guess to some, that IS formal.

So if I wear sportscoat you consider that formal? Some people on the board want to redefine formal to what they want to wear.

So if I wear sportscoat you consider that formal? Some people on the board want to redefine formal to what they want to wear.

Not getting the point of your post.

I was being facetious so I don't consider a sportscoat formal by any means.

Not getting the point of your post.

I was being facetious so I don't consider a sportscoat formal by any means.

You may not (and I would agree) but a jacket is all that is required.

I would have thought a formal restaurant harking back to traditional ship era would have the following, but no signs so far of these things. Perhaps some running changes are to be made after some trialing.

Live dinner music (piano, violin, harp, etc.)

Sorbet between courses

white glove service

Apparently the attire has not been enforced on the Maiden/Transatlantic cruise. But, this is a shakedown cruise. I think it is too early to determine how strictly the dress will be enforced in the future.

I'll be curious to read comments from those who do eat at The Grande and read what they experienced, both with the food and with how everyone was dressed.

By the way, is The Grande a restaurant with a surcharge? If so, does this mean that those who want to dine in a formal atmosphere and wearing formal attire. they will ahve to pay a premium to so?

I'll be curious to read comments from those who do eat at The Grande and read what they experienced, both with the food and with how everyone was dressed.

By the way, is The Grande a restaurant with a surcharge? If so, does this mean that those who want to dine in a formal atmosphere and wearing formal attire. they will ahve to pay a premium to so?

The Grande is one of the 4 complimentary restaurants.

Where did you find that description? I could only find Formal Every night.

On my Quantum Dec1 cruise planner:

"WHAT TO WEAR

Cocktail dresses, gowns or dressy pantsuits are appropriate for women.

A jacket is required for men, along with pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sports shirt (must have sleeves) or sweater.

Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants at any time."

A real-life review of The Grande from Peewee14 currently on Quantum on his thread is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2123468&page=6ad is here:

I would have thought a formal restaurant harking back to traditional ship era would have the following, but no signs so far of these things. Perhaps some running changes are to be made after some trialing.

Sorbet between courses

white glove service

Surprised by this one. The original leaked deck plans showed a circular platform in the middle of the venue with a piano.

Just saying what I consider formal, not referring to what is required.;)

Sorbet between courses

white glove service

Uh oh, don't go there. People would start whining that others are getting something they aren't simply because they do not want to dress up.:D

The new concept Grande Restaurant is said to require formal attire every night. I was just curious how formal attire will be defined and who will be the judge if guests are wearing an acceptable level of formal. Will there be a person at the door that checks you as you enter? It seems kind of subjective to me as to what is the proper degree of formal, though I guess blue jeans and shorts would be easy to reject.

Has anybody read a description of what is required and how strictly the requirement will be enforced?

This is nothing against you personally - after all, I don't know you ;) - but I find the very ASKING of this question............"off-putting". I was going to use a stronger term, but decided against it.

Before people even board their cruises (except for the few currently on Quantum's transatlantic sailing), they want to know if they can circumvent the stated dress code.

UGH.

This is nothing against you personally - after all, I don't know you ;) - but I find the very ASKING of this question............"off-putting". I was going to use a stronger term, but decided against it.

Before people even board their cruises (except for the few currently on Quantum's transatlantic sailing), they want to know if they can circumvent the stated dress code.

UGH.

In fairness the Quantum dress code is different than on other ships in regards to what is now considered formal for both The Grande and Chef Table. Formal is now requested for Chef Table but the flip side is RCI considers formal on Quantum to be wearing a jacket. Says nothing of a suit, tie, tuxedo, etc.

For someone held in regard as an ambassador for the brand your answer is the only thing off putting. OP only asked for an explanation of the terms in use.

In fairness the Quantum dress code is different than on other ships in regards to what is now considered formal for both The Grande and Chef Table. Formal is now requested for Chef Table but the flip side is RCI considers formal on Quantum to be wearing a jacket. Says nothing of a suit, tie, tuxedo, etc.

For someone held in regard as an ambassador for the brand your answer is the only thing off putting. OP only asked for an explanation of the terms in use.

<snort>

Where do you come up with this stuff?????