Ultimate Dining on Getaway

cruise&travelgirl

We had the UDP when we were on the Getaway in August and loved it! We ate in specialties 6 nights so it was cost effective for us.. Ate at Cagneys twice, Moderno twice, Le Bistro once and the Illusionarium. Illusionarium wasn't all that great but loved everything else.

Didn't have any trouble getting reservations anywhere except Le Bistro. It seems to be pretty popular so book that reservation early.

Sorry, no info about lunch. We usually got a big salad at the buffet and topped it off with some BBQ meat from the grill upstairs. Yum!

We're traveling on Norwegian for the first time and are wondering if the Ultimate Dining package is worthwhile. Did you find you got your money's worth? Are the specialty restaurants open for dinner only or lunches too? Thanks in advance!

My honest opinion is that if its your first time in NCL then I wouldn't recommend the UDP.

Lots of people enjoy the free options, and you only need to miss a couple of nights in the speciality restaurants before it becomes cheaper to pay per meal.

I'd recommend not getting the package, eating in a variety of places (speciality, MDR, o'Sheehans and buffet). It will probably end up costing less, or at worst only slightly more.

If you don't try the free options you will never tell whether you like them.

I agree on trying the freebees first. There are a lot of good places around the ship with various foods. Also, that leaves your evening schedule more flexible. I'd schedule maybe two specialty restaurants to see what they are about, but try the buffet, MDRs, grills, O'Shehans, the grill up above the buffet whose name I can't remember at the moment, etc also. My opinion.

Thanks for all the opinions and advice! I would be fine with just eating in the main dining rooms, grills, buffet, etc. but the guys seem to really want the Ultimate Dining so I think we're leaning toward that. I do like the fact that Illusionarium is included on the first night and there are a few restaurants that they just 'have to try' so it might end up worth out while for the ultimate dining.

We did the UDP this spring, our first time with NCL. Did not regret it for a minute. We ate at O'Sheehan's for breakfast and lunch the majority of the time and only did the buffet a couple of times for breakfast/lunch (and late at night for bed lunch).

We did the UDP this spring, our first time with NCL. Did not regret it for a minute. We ate at O'Sheehan's for breakfast and lunch the majority of the time and only did the buffet a couple of times for breakfast/lunch (and late at night for bed lunch).

Is O'Sheehan's a complimentary restaurant or one you pay extra for?

My honest opinion is that if its your first time in NCL then I wouldn't recommend the UDP.

Lots of people enjoy the free options, and you only need to miss a couple of nights in the speciality restaurants before it becomes cheaper to pay per meal.

I'd recommend not getting the package, eating in a variety of places (speciality, MDR, o'Sheehans and buffet). It will probably end up costing less, or at worst only slightly more.

If you don't try the free options you will never tell whether you like them.

I agree here! We cruise 2-3 x per year , so do a lot of others. In that regard it is easier to get tired if MDR a meals, etc

I had seriously thought about ultimate dinning on upcoming cruise, but we are more than happy with 3 nights in favorite resturants.

I had read somewhere that NCL serves lobster, not in their MDR, but rather at the buffet. That being the case, what day during the cruise do they serve it. We would like to make our restaurant reservations and would also like to make the lobster night.

Also what night is the fireworks night?

I had read somewhere that NCL serves lobster, not in their MDR, but rather at the buffet. That being the case, what day during the cruise do they serve it. We would like to make our restaurant reservations and would also like to make the lobster night.

Also what night is the fireworks night?

The lobster night is now a few small pieces cut up in a pasta dish. Really not worth planning for.

We will be on the Getaway in January and sailing NCL for the first time. Was looking at the UDP. We always dine at specialty restaurants when on X and RCL since we are not MDR people.

We will be in Haven and I have read great reviews of the restaurant located in the Haven so I am sure we will dine there as we do in Blu on X. We want to also go to Illusionarium but not the fiirst night.

The UDP is $119 per person and that is not bad compared to X or RCL. I can't find what the cost is at each specialty restaurant to see if the per night fee added up on where we want to dine will be less than the over all $119. :confused:

The UDP is $119 per person and that is not bad compared to X or RCL. I can't find what the cost is at each specialty restaurant to see if the per night fee added up on where we want to dine will be less than the over all $119. :confused:

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Dining-Guide-10032014.pdf

This PDF from ncl.com has a breakdown of the different cover charges. The Breakaway is the first ship listed.

We will be on the Getaway in January and sailing NCL for the first time. Was looking at the UDP. We always dine at specialty restaurants when on X and RCL since we are not MDR people.

We will be in Haven and I have read great reviews of the restaurant located in the Haven so I am sure we will dine there as we do in Blu on X. We want to also go to Illusionarium but not the fiirst night.

Since you aren't doing Illusionarium the first night, you can eat at a different specialty restaurant 5 out of 7 nights, including Cagney's, and it is cheaper to pay as you go and NOT buy UDP.