Any Recent Cutbacks?

knittinggirl

I miss the daily New York Times news sheet, although I think it has been years since Princess had it. .

DH makes buying a newspaper one of his priorities on any shore stop. (There's always something in English available.) He also misses the bridge directors. What neither of us miss is the token in the slot machine. The new system is so much easier. Some changes are good. Some are not.

Cruising has changed over the years. In order to keep pricing affordable, some things have had to be modified, changed or cut back. Most aren't noticeable to the average cruiser and as always, some people care more about some changes than others. We can wish for the "good old days" but the reality is that Princess, like other lines, is far more mainstream than they used to be. Even with the cutbacks, I still enjoy cruising and Princess in particular. No one thing is so important to me that I'd consider not cruising or not on Princess. I just like being at sea and on a ship.

I miss the larger bars of soap. I don't like using shower gel and those little bars are hard to keep a grip on in the shower and are used up so fast.

But I still am amazed at the value you get from a cruise vacation, considering it includes so many dining options, entertainment, travel and hotel costs, etc.

Chocolate has been cut back? What? Where? Plenty of chocolate on my Royal T/A cruise in September, including the two chocolates every night.

Princess hasn't had a news sheet in years. Can't remember when. It was pretty useless when they did. I can get far more news on my iPhone on a cruise.

The chocolate is awful?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Will be boarding Royal Princess in approx 4 weeks so my complaints may change but here is my current list:

1) Food Cutbacks

a) No Rack of Lamb.

--- For me, this is a major pet peeve that I have (and will continue) to complain about in surveys, emails, and phone . Every other cruise line I have been on in the last 4 years still have it EXCEPT for Princess (RCL, Celebrity, NCL). I've thought about mailing by certified mail 100 posters via certified mail to Headquarters asking for the return of Rack of Lamb. Maybe if I can get 100 different people agreeing to do this we can start a massive campaign.

b) Quality of food has deteriorated / cutback of more expensive items

--- I can tell some simple ingredient replacements have affected the end result. For instance, the honey mustard dressing use to be amazing. Now it is unremarkable. When I was persistent and bothered 2 executive chefs on 2 diff ships (along with other chefs at the Horizon Court), they reluctantly confessed the cutbacks of quality products / ingredients (I won't mention which ships or the actual chefs).

--- The end result IMHO is an over-reliance of salt or butter.

--- When I asked for berries for dessert, I received 2 strawberries cut into quarters. After the 2nd night of this, I politely asked the waiter for 10 more additional servings if the quantity would remain the same. My waiter looked flustered and I calmly asked if they discouraged giving more in the name of cot cutting and he tacitly grinned. I told him to go back and tell his manager if they continued to give him a hard time about the quantity, I would get the name of the person in the dining room and complained. After that, my berries request was met with a generous serving. One more interesting note. I did anytime dining 1 night with a different waiter in a diff dining room and my berry request was met with the same 2 strawberries cut into quarters. I didn't fight that evening as I knew I would be back to my original dining staff the following evening.

--- at breakfest at the Horizon Court, you have to ask for papaya / smoked salmon (they don't have it out every morning). If you don't request a larger quantity, you only get 1 or 2 pieces of papaya or 2 pieces of salmon. I usually say I need enough to feed a family of 3 to 4 and they bring out more (which ends up being enough for myself).

---Princess lava cake ended a few years back (I am reminded of this as other cruise lines offer their own version. When Princess had it, I thought it was the best among all cruise lines I tried. But now, they don't offer it at all).

--- I could go on about the food cutbacks but I will stop here. By the way, I still think Princess MDR is still among the best (hopefully Royal Princess will elevate my opinion back to the top among mainstream cruise lines).

2) Entertainment Cutbacks

a) Live Musicians / Bands

-- I know this is a growing trend but the idea of having production shows with pre-recorded music in a MAJOR pet peeve of mine. I want live musicians / bands backing up singers. By the way, partial accompaniments don't count (2 musicians with the rest pre-recorded music)

-- the quality of the musicians have also deteriorated through the years. I guess Princess pays musicians peanuts or nothing at all.

b) Production Companies

-- the singers / dancers have declined noticeably through the years.

c) 30 minute production shows

--already mentioned by others.

d) The use of crew and passenger talent shows as fillers in the evening

-- Truly insulting!! Have them in the afternoon if you must but don't waste our time in the evenings when we want real entertainment.

Will be boarding Royal Princess in approx 4 weeks so my complaints may change but here is my current list:

1) Food Cutbacks

Two that I notice:

o Loveboat Dream

- No longer has the crunchy bottom, soft cake instead

- the great almost-too-rich chocolate is now little more than chocolate pudding

- the Godiva chocolate on top with the Sea Witch emblem is no more

o Breadsticks

- No longer have sesame seeds on them

As of last year, Princess no longer offers a Bridge game Director on any of its cruises. There used to be directed bridge games on cruises of longer lengths. We had duplicate bridge games on our 28 day cruise in 2012 on the sea days and thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon bridge games. For bridge players, this is a huge disappointment as other cruise lines still provide bridge directors on their cruises,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From what I understand, you'll have to take a world cruise to get a bridge director...

On my recent sailing on the Golden, the MDR menu indicated the Fettuccini Alfredo was served in a Parmesan basket. I was disappointed when the Alfredo I ordered arrived by itself on a plate with no basket. I commented to our server that it wasn't as indicated on the menu. He said "that is what the kitchen gives us". I know Parmesan is much costlier than pasta, so my guess is this is another cutback.

Edited by Ryndam2002

They cut out hair conditioner! Aaaarrrrggghhh! Now you either have to use their useless 2-in-1 product or pack your own. One more liquid to try to get thru airline security.

Take multiple size-compliant bottles with you. I can buy several travel sets of different containers-bottles, jars, and tubes to cover all needs from conditioner to shower gel. Usually come in sets, don't remember the Australian prices as it's some months since I needed to price and buy them My sets came with a sheet of assorted labels. Also an Avon friend advised me to use up (I'm a former Representative myself, resigned on health grounds) all my lipstick samples so I'd have a variety of different shades to choose from. In the toiletries aisle of my local supermarket, there is a specific Travel Section featuring appropriately sized products, even of deodorant and toothpaste, these containers, and smaller packs of cotton swabs etc.

HTH.

Crochetcruise :cool:

On my recent sailing on the Golden, the MDR menu indicated the Fettuccini Alfredo was served in a Parmesan basket. I was disappointed when the Alfredo I ordered arrived by itself on a plate with no basket. I commented to our server that it wasn't as indicated on the menu. He said "that is what the kitchen gives us". I know Parmesan is much costlier than pasta, so my guess is this is another cutback.

If you order it as an appetizer, it usually comes in a dish. If you order it as an entree, you get the parmesan basket. Usually the waiter will accommodate your request, though.

Craft brew?!?! Oh yeah?! What options do they have? YUM!!!

Here's the announcement, more to come. I just hope it shows up on the Coral in January. Just google Seawitch IPA.

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (September 15, 2014) – Princess Cruises is pouring a new craft beer to toast its upcoming 50th anniversary. The “Seawitch” West Coast IPA beer – playfully named for the company’s iconic logo – was developed exclusively for Princess Cruises, in partnership with award-winning Strike Brewing Company, and is the first in the line’s new series of craft beers. The brew will be introduced aboard Regal Princess when the cruise ship debuts in Florida for a season of Caribbean cruises this November.

No cutbacks on Parmesan baskets. Just off the Crown last month and we had Parmesan baskets nightly at our table. If you order the fettuccine as an appetizer it comes without the basket. If you order it as an entree it comes with the basket. If you want it as an appetizer with the Parmesan basket just ask the waiter to bring your appetizer in the basket when ordering. They will gladly oblige you! Love those baskets.

Edited by Princess Patches

The only constant is change, as they say. The cruise ship industry is not immune to change and the good old days are always in the past. I am a former Pan Am flight attendant and had a front row seat to changes in the airline industry. Whether they were good or bad is quite subjective and we can never go back. Cruising is still a wonderful vacation deal and I'll give up sesame seeds on my breadsticks in exchange for good cruise fare pricing any day!

No cutbacks on Parmesan baskets. Just off the Crown last month and we had Parmesan baskets nightly at our table. If you order the fettuccine as an appetizer it comes without the basket. If you order it as an entree it comes with the basket. If you want it as an appetizer with the Parmesan basket just ask the waiter to bring your appetizer in the basket when ordering. They will gladly oblige you! Love those baskets.

As you say there's no cutback on the baskets but they sure have cutback on the recipe for the Alfredo. It has no resemblance to what they served a few years ago. :(

You might a well eat buttered noodles with some cheese sprinkled on top.;)

o Breadsticks

- No longer have sesame seeds on them

This particular one wouldn't be a problem for us since we both have diverticulosis.

On Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas, we ordered filet of Tenderloin for in-room dining on formal night. But mine had gristle and was really tough. DH told me in the future no in-room dining unless special situation because we can't tell the waiteer to send it back.

We have seen cutbacks over the years, just like many of you. Sometimes, the cutbacks are so subtile I have to think about it for awhile. Like our recent cruise on the Crown with no note pads, etc. Another one was the lack of dinner mints at the MDR exit. I liked them and I miss them.

So, cutbacks are, for me, not deal breakers. But what I, and I think most of us look at, is the total package. Since that can be ever so objective it will vary for each of us.

But my list is itinerary, ship quality, food that is average or better, but most of all service. A mediocre meal can be a good dining experience (for me) if the service is great. A great cabin steward is a must. The top of the list is the staff at the International Cafe. We have been lucky, perhaps, on our last three cruises to have had the best wait staff in that area one could ever ask for. So, this is an area that I feel has not suffered loss or cutbacks!

I hope my response is not seen as hijacking, didn't mean for it to be, anyway.

Redwood

If you order it as an appetizer, it usually comes in a dish. If you order it as an entree, you get the parmesan basket. Usually the waiter will accommodate your request, though.

This was as an entree. Perhaps it was just a "one off" that night. I'll make a point to request the basket when ordering on my next cruise.

We have seen cutbacks over the years, just like many of you. Sometimes, the cutbacks are so subtile I have to think about it for awhile. Like our recent cruise on the Crown with no note pads, etc. Another one was the lack of dinner mints at the MDR exit. I liked them and I miss them.

So, cutbacks are, for me, not deal breakers. But what I, and I think most of us look at, is the total package. Since that can be ever so objective it will vary for each of us.

But my list is itinerary, ship quality, food that is average or better, but most of all service. A mediocre meal can be a good dining experience (for me) if the service is great. A great cabin steward is a must. The top of the list is the staff at the International Cafe. We have been lucky, perhaps, on our last three cruises to have had the best wait staff in that area one could ever ask for. So, this is an area that I feel has not suffered loss or cutbacks!

I hope my response is not seen as hijacking, didn't mean for it to be, anyway.

Redwood

Note pads and mints have been on the last 4 cruises we've been on- Emerald, Coral, CB and Island. Of course they not like the good mints they had a few years back & are so strong I can smell people eating them 8 rows away:eek: in the show lounge but they were there.

Just got off the Star Princess and here's the cutbacks we saw from our last experience on the Star to Alaska:

Lots of sausage dishes in the buffet. Princess must have got a good deal on them as there were at least 6 sausage dishes for breakfast and lunch. It's processed meat and they taste horrible just like the bacon.

They use to have cottage cheese with offerings of walnuts, sunflower seeds, toasted coconut, and sliced almonds offered at breakfast. That is no longer, only cottage cheese offered with syrupy canned fruit.

We like Ranch salad dressing. They've extended it with vinegar! Horrible stuff, either the chef is falling down on the job or someone is screwing up the salad dressing.

Several pastas salads and pasta dishes offered at the buffet. Pasta is cheap and so is rice. If you're diabetic, you're offerings are very limited. Cauliflower and broccoli was offered everyday (10-day cruise).

We were disappointed in the food - I sure hope they improve on our next cruise to Hawaii in January.

And I ditto about the advertisements that show up in the Patter daily. We toss them - a waste of paper and ink. We don't eat the chocolates, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they discontinued them and offered better food on Lido.

Edited by elliair

This was as an entree. Perhaps it was just a "one off" that night. I'll make a point to request the basket when ordering on my next cruise.

I have known people to order the basket for their appetizer and then shared it with the table. They are good when fresh and crunchy.

Cruising has changed over the years. In order to keep pricing affordable, some things have had to be modified, changed or cut back. Most aren't noticeable to the average cruiser and as always, some people care more about some changes than others. We can wish for the "good old days" but the reality is that Princess, like other lines, is far more mainstream than they used to be. Even with the cutbacks, I still enjoy cruising and Princess in particular. No one thing is so important to me that I'd consider not cruising or not on Princess. I just like being at sea and on a ship.

Exactly Pam, I think some of the cutbacks might go too far but for the most part its just making the ships accessible to more people.

Those who want to pay more to get more have options on the Luxury lines.

Remember 7 days on Princess cost at least 1500 bucks 30 or 35 years ago. Current value, that's what it costs to sail Seabourn or Regent

No one has mentioned the cutting of the 'entertainment' to half an hour, regardless of Princess saying that they are giving three shows a night.

I guess they have to do that, in part due to the impending r-pe of Island Princess, with no more Universe Lounge. That in itself IMO will be very very sad.

john

Agreed - just back from Ruby Princess and those 30 minute shows were playing only two times each night. The entertainment program on this cruise was one of the worst I've ever seen.

As to the original post, I also agree with a previous poster that it's sort of a negative way to approach a cruise - there are a lot of very good things that are available above what used to be. Glass half full and all that.

On Ruby Princess the Alfredo that was served as an appetizer was in a dish, but the Alfredo that was served as an entree was in a parmesan bowl. Folks traveling with us asked for the appetizer size in a parmesan bowl.

--- at breakfest at the Horizon Court, you have to ask for papaya / smoked salmon (they don't have it out every morning). If you don't request a larger quantity, you only get 1 or 2 pieces of papaya or 2 pieces of salmon. I usually say I need enough to feed a family of 3 to 4 and they bring out more (which ends up being enough for myself).

Seriously?

Edited by bdjam