Quantum- Semi Live, Family Perspective

Peewee14

Hi Everyone!

Tine for my late afternoon update, had another brilliant day!

Back in the room now, Diana had decided that the dolly we got her before was a mistake, she originally had her eye on one with hair and a brush, but after much deliberation she picked one with no hair and a bottle and dummy.

After playing with the dolly for a few days she has decided that she made the wrong choice, especially as the dolly doesn't even open its mouth to take the dummy or bottle, how dumb is that?

So she wants to return it to Schwarz and get the one with hair and a brush.

We have tried to explain that you can't return a dolly when you have played with it so much, especially now its got tomato ketchup and pen on it, but we decided that we would use this opportunity, she was told that if she was a very good girl all day we would get her the new dolly, and I am pleased to say she was and she is now in chilling in bed watching her iPad with dolly and inky while mummy has a bath and gets ready for dinner, and I update on here while watching Home Alone 2 on TV!! I have seen the movie loads before but its even better watching movies set in New York once your here!! You can shout things like "I have been there!" at the TV, its great!!

IMG_0595_zps2fdee318.jpg

Friday then

We got up a little later than planned, we had tickets for top of the rock at 11am followed by the Christmas spectacular show at Radio City. We spent too long lounging and messing about in the room, which now does look like a tornado has blown through it! I knew we were not going to make it, and also we really wanted Diana to enjoy the show and not be too worn out so we called the Top Of The Rock reservations and the nice lady let us change it to Saturday morning (today)

You have also previously read about me having booked the wrong day for the tickets so I will not go into all that again! maybe a lesson though not to book all your tickets late at night after a long day!

We chilled out in the room until lunchtime then headed out to have a walk around and find somewhere to eat before the show

IMG_0540_zpsdc6e2901.jpg

we saw a place called AppleBees that we had seen advertised on the TV a big chain thing over here I take it, so once again I am afraid to report that we went for the chain restaurant, I know some of the natives here might not think its very authentic, but we have enjoyed some of the big chains, we don't get them near were we live so its all new to us, and with Diana we find it easy and fun for her and therefore us!

We got seated quite quickly and once again another friendly server who we had a good chat with, we explained we were in a rush as we had a show to watch, how on earth we found ourselves running late again I really don't know!

I am a fan of burgers, burgers and pizza! I ordered the American standard burger! One of the other great things I have found in the US is they actually ask you how you want your burger cooked, I usually go medium. In the UK they don't ask and if a burger arrived with any sign of pink in the middle it would probably be sent back as not cooked properly.

I have to say it was a fantastic burger!! so juicy!! Michaela had the club sandwich which was also very good, although not a patch on my burger! The french fries in NYC are also delicious, they seem to be same in all the places we have been, always good.

We left, once again very happy with the food and service and really excited to see the Christmas Spectacular show!! We walked hurriedly as it was now 13.50 and the show started at 2pm!!

Radio City came into view, we were almost there!

IMG_0551_zpsacba6518.jpg

We actually got there at a perfect time, dead on 2pm, there was no rush as everyone else was seated, we checked in the stroller and was shown to our seats, I had deliberately gone for aisle seats with Diana which worked out great. We sat down and the show started!

Fantastic!!

The show was unbelievable!

If you are in NY you have to see this, even without kids

The choreography and timing of the dancing is like nothing we have ever seen before, the time went too fast, we were transfixed!! and thankfully so was Diana.

The music, the backdrop!! the visuals projected, also a 3d cinema section with Santa flying around.

Michaela said when we came out it was the best show she has ever seen and she could easily sit through it again.

We had got really good seats near the front and streamers came out near the end landing all over us, Diana loved it!

Sorry I don't have too many pictures, I was enjoying it too much!

IMG_0541_zps5ed744e3.jpg

IMG_0542_zps0701f583.jpg

IMG_0543_zpsaf4a282b.jpg

IMG_0544_zps634caa11.jpg

IMG_0545_zps9009f6ac.jpg

IMG_0548_zpsb787c9f5.jpg

Brilliant, Brilliant a 1000 times over, in fact writing this and looking at the pictures I want to go back again!!

A short video for anyone interested, sorry the quality isn't that great!

http://vid1295.photobucket.com/albums/b640/Pete_Ashcroft/Quantum%20Of%20The%20Seas/NYC/IMG_0549_zpsjiwuxbjs.mp4

Off out now guys! the ladies are ready for our last night out in this wonderful city!

Catch up later!

I have posted this on a couple of threads hoping some one will reply. We leave in the morning on the 11-16 cruise for 2 nights. and I wanted to know what type of hair blower is in the cabin? Does it have on/off or do you need to hold a button down for it to work? Does it have more than 1 speed?

I usually bring mine, however I was thinking about leaving it behind

Just wanted to chime in. I love reading your review of my city :) I think you did it exactly right!

If you read this in time, don't forget to go to Magnolia to pick up some cupcakes and treats! It's right around Radio City.

Arghhh!! We walked right past there today. Is it near Tiffanys ?

Well done! One of, if not THE best reviews I've ever read.

You have a beautiful family. I'm so glad you enjoyed your cruise and our city so much.

What a wonderful holiday. Thanks for sharing it with all of us.

Wish it would never end. Great reading and fabulous photos.

I live 15 minutes outside the city, and still haven't been able to bring myself to visit the September 11th Memorial. Seeing your photos of it brought me to tears.

You and your family are truly blessed.

If you have time go to Shake Shack and get some burgers. They are sooooooo good. 44th and 8th.

https://www.shakeshack.com/location/theater-district/

Looking forward to the conclusion of your wonderful adventure (until the next).

Cheers!!

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Edited by meatball_nyc

Thank you for taking the time to share your trip with us. While I tuned in to hear about Quantum I've stayed through the whole trip enjoying your view of NYC. You hit some of the highlights- there are so many more that I hope you get other opportunities to return and explore the city some more. Diana is a great traveler- and it's great that you exposed her to the wonder of travel while she's young so that she will enjoy it throughout her life. Safe travels home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have to agree with all of the posters who reported that this is "the Best" review I have ever read. I thank you very much for sharing your family's vacation and do appreciate all you have given me by taking the very precious time of your vacation to share with us.

Not to infringe on your privacy or anything like that but I am so sad to see your vacation come to an end and wish you could continue on with life's journeys once you arrive home. We will miss your postings and such. In order for us to keep up to you and Micheala and Diana's goings on at home I guess we can always just keep asking you questions and you will I am sure answer ;)

Just kidding!

Enjoy your trip home and thanks again. Wishing you and your ladies all the best and please do come back the next time your family is on vacation.

Enjoy your new motorhome next summer.

I have to agree with all of the posters who reported that this is "the Best" review I have ever read. I thank you very much for sharing your family's vacation and do appreciate all you have given me by taking the very precious time of your vacation to share with us.

Not to infringe on your privacy or anything like that but I am so sad to see your vacation come to an end and wish you could continue on with life's journeys once you arrive home. We will miss your postings and such. In order for us to keep up to you and Micheala and Diana's goings on at home I guess we can always just keep asking you questions and you will I am sure answer ;)

Just kidding!

Enjoy your trip home and thanks again. Wishing you and your ladies all the best and please do come back the next time your family is on vacation.

Enjoy your new motorhome next summer.

If he was up to it, he could always start a blog on Friends of Cruise Critic. I follow Trainman's and find it fascinating.

Hi everyone its lunch time and we managed to get an extended check out, we can stay in the room until 2pm, good job i bought that extra case! we are struggling to get everything in.

The manager called me yesterday to apologise about my laundry being late, and has wavered the charge for it, (thank god it was nearly $150) they have also refunded my internet access which was $17 a day! so I am pretty happy.

My underpants comeback in a box with a ribbon on! How cool!

IMG_0559_zps94a3595d.jpg

I still have friday night and yesterday to finish off and I will do them, we had a wonderful day yesterday. Its an odd end to a holiday, because even though we are sad to go home we are also very happy and feel very privileged to have had such a wonderful holiday.

We should land at 7.30 am UK time tomorrow morning, and I have arranged for someone to look after Diana for the day. Michaela and I need to go in the office and check out whats been going on, and then in the afternoon we have our motorhome to collect! So we still have something to look forward to.

From Tuesday I am travelling to the Scottish Highlands (Inverness) for work for the rest of the week, and would you believe it on Sunday I get on another ship to Ireland where I will be working for the rest of the week.

Thanks again for the kind replied, and thanks for following us, as I said I will update and not leave it unfinished that would be a crime!

Its been great doing this blog and I do recommend it, you can easy forget everything you have done when cramming so much in, but sitting down to write about it forces you to remember it and even re live it once again, doing it twice in effect and its very enjoyable and helps to ingrain those memories even more. Plus I have been writing all this in a word document which I will keep along with the pictures for Dianas trunk when she is older.

You have heard a lot from me during the last 2 weeks, During dinner last night Michaela and I had a good chat about our holiday.

From her perspective she tells me its the best ever, and really wants to come to the US more often now, she also says its helped her to understand the American personality more and their attitudes towards things and enthusiasm for so much.

She also said she has always felt safe, in fact safer than in any UK city she has been in.

I don't want us going home with sad faces, so I have booked the limo again to take us to the airport!

Yesterday we did Top of the Rock and the plaza and of course we did shopping on 5th Avenue.

I got up early With Diana and I got into trouble as we both had chocolate for breakfast, lots of chocolate. The night before I found "Baby Ruth" bars in a shop!! and all my memories of the film Goonies came back! So i had to buy some and we had them for breakfast on Sat morning :D

Once again that "feeling" changed on a weekend , it was slightly different in Manhattan than it had been during the week, a little quite, apart from 5th Avenue which was nuts!! Brilliant but nuts.

Another thing Michaela said which I agree with, was how even in the busiest stores everyone serving you took the time to talk to you and make conversation, the level of service we have had in this city is fantastic!

With such a hectic, hustling and bustling place, how can people be so relaxed at the same time, its odd to describe and I suppose something you can only appreciate it once your here.

OK Finish off friday night, Michaela was desperate to go to Plant Hollywood so we did and it was brilliant!!! Great food and service, our waiter here was particularly good

IMG_0556_zpsf224f3e8.jpg

IMG_0558_zps10ca835c.jpg

Great meal and great experience, did the obligatory photo!

IMG_0594_zpsa256b438.jpg

I don't want to go guys, but I am going to have to rush through the next sections I am afraid so please forgive the lack of detail

Saturday Morning was up and ready, chocolate for brekky then off to the Rockefeller Centre.

The day was really clear and beautiful and I was looking forward to the views.

On the way we spotted this stall

IMG_0580_zps5033ed99.jpg

The guy makes pictures with spray cans, in the UK a few videos of them making the paintings went a little viral on Facebook and everyone loved it, so I picked up 4 pictures for some friends and my god son, that was gifts sorted!

Now to the top of the rock,

IMG_0582_zps28fd3f4d.jpg

I was worried with it being Saturday about the Queues but I shouldn't have it was really easy and we were in straight away, it was lovely inside, and really nice building but I don't think it was as grand as the Empire State

We again got the tourist pics on the way in sat on the beam, its one of my favourite city pictures in new York the guys eating luck on the beam

YourPhoto5_zpse9354682.jpeg

YourPhoto6_zps7bb70bf0.jpeg

YourPhoto3_zpsc7bf880b.jpeg

The observation deck is on a few different levels and I think although I prefer the Empire State Building the observation deck is better at the the Rock, and of course the big thing is and the selling point of the rock is you can see the Empire State Building.

I personally could decide which I preferred, as an attraction, Maybe the Empire State Building edges it, just because its the Empire State building! I just wish we had this weather the day we visited the Empire State.

Edited by Peewee14

IMG_0568_zps57f9129b.jpg

IMG_0570_zpsb55dcfb3.jpg

IMG_0573_zps929d1339.jpg

IMG_0571_zps4259778b.jpg

The access to all the floors is really easy, even with a stroller so don't let it put you off going if you have young kids! Although once again Diana didn't fully appreciate it and didn't want to stand outside, I think that was more to do with the cold though!

The biggest Queue was to get down again!

IMG_0576_zps243b0648.jpg

But the attendant was excellent and did a brilliant job of entertaining Diana while we waited, very organised and a great experience

We left and had a wander around inside the shopping area where I ended up in Brookfields, I love gadgets! and bought a mini projector and some travel pillows!

We then headed out and had another wander around and spent some time watching the ice skating

IMG_0579_zps4c61ea2e.jpg

We headed off now to 5th Avenue and we did some shopping, it was pleasant enough and Michaela loved it, although Diana and I got bored, I can't really remember or even pronounce some of the names of the shops we were in, but it was a successful shopping trip according to Michaela, the promise of a new Dolly kept dina sufficiently blackmailed for the most part.

I do remember Tiffanys though, simply because it cost me the most money.

IMG_0590_zpsb3d90f11.jpg

Michaela really really wanted some tiffany return to new york love heart and a bracelet so thats what we got.

IMG_0592_zpsfbde9404.jpg

We then went back to Schwarz to get Diana her new Dolly, because she had been such a good girl! It was packed with it being Saturday, but again New Yorks efficiency prevailed and it was actually really easy!!

On our last visit Spiderman had tried to get Diana to have a picture with him, but she wouldn't, acting all shy, this time though she ran up to him and asked for one!! LOL!

IMG_0593_zps4e76f185.jpg

Our intention then was to then go to serendipity 3 that we had heard about, but we were absolutely exhausted with sore legs, so we hailed a cab and came back to the room to watch some TV! I was so pleased that we got an old ford type taxi, been desperate to get a ride in one of these since we been here!!

Edited by Peewee14

We got ready for dinner, and decided we would go back to Ellens Stardust as we had all enjoyed it so much, however it was Queueing all the way down the street! As were a lot of places we tried, we really didn't fancy waiting. We now realised how lucky we had been with our restaurant choices.

I know this sounds boring but we walked past Applebees and we decided why not get another burger again, so we did. 10 minute wait for the table and we had a quiet dinner chatting about our holiday and New York and the US in general while Diana watched her iPad. it might not sound it, but it was a great night and a lovely last dinner for us.

We skipped dessert and found a deli on the way home, we stocked up on supplies and 3 pieces of cheesecake for me, can you believe Applebees don't have cheesecake on the Menu!!!

Back in the room Michalea and Diana were shattered and they fell asleep on the sofa. We had an early night ready for packing up in the morning.

So there we have it guys, a totally awesome trip!

The ladies have just been to McDonalds next door to bring back some lunch, we are going to check out now, and have a wonder around for a while before the car arrives.

I will catch up with you back in the UK, and let you know about the flight and our trip home.

I have been having the garage converted to a "Man Cave" while we have been away so its another thing to look forward to when we are back tomorrow!

If you have been reading this because you are thinking of visiting this fabulous city, stop thinking about it and get it booked. And if you have booked Quantum give yourselves a few extra days here to enjoy this place!

My only regret is we didn't do it sooner.

The Quantum is a great ship, but this City is something else.