Quantum- Semi Live, Family Perspective

Peewee14

Excellent review, I have really enjoyed following your adventures as we too are sailing on Quantum at Christmas then spending 5 days in New York.

You have given us some ideas of what to try, and like you we like our burgers!

Your daughter is adorable and looks to have had a great holiday.

One question, who did you book your stretch limo with and did it cost much more than a standard car service? Think this would be a great idea to surprise my family.

Safe trip home

If he was up to it, he could always start a blog on Friends of Cruise Critic. I follow Trainman's and find it fascinating.

If you can give me a link to the section i will have a look!

I am lucky enough to have a pretty interesting work life all over the UK, and we are going to the Canary Islands for New Year.

A lot of my friends on Facebook like to follow my adventures, in their words "I am always up to something" and Diana usually is!

She has her Christmas nativity coming up in pre School, (thats what the video was about recently it was her practicing for it)

Thanks again everyone for your kind words, I am so glad you have enjoyed it, its been great fun for me!

Excellent review, I have really enjoyed following your adventures as we too are sailing on Quantum at Christmas then spending 5 days in New York.

You have given us some ideas of what to try, and like you we like our burgers!

Your daughter is adorable and looks to have had a great holiday.

One question, who did you book your stretch limo with and did it cost much more than a standard car service? Think this would be a great idea to surprise my family.

Safe trip home

I booked it with Carmelimo, it was easy and reliable. Just go the site of through the booking process and at the end it gives you a choice of vehicle and price.

You can also download the app which is handy around the city, the great thing on the app is it uses pins, so you just scroll around a map of NY, click on collection point, then click on drop off point and then same again price and type of car, then click book! and your done.

the cost from the Port to Times Square in total was $204 and from Times Square to JFK I think it quoted me $185

Edited by Peewee14

I booked it with Carmelimo, it was easy and reliable. Just go the site of through the booking process and at the end it gives you a choice of vehicle and price.

You can also download the app which is handy around the city, the great thing on the app is it uses pins, so you just scroll around a map of NY, click on collection point, then click on drop off point and then same again price and type of car, then click book! and your done.

the cost from the Port to Times Square in total was $204 and from Times Square to JFK I think it quoted me $185

Excellent, thanks Peewee.

Have already booked a car service with that company, so will contact them to change the car type.

When you left the port did you have to call them or were they already waiting for you.

I am a little worried about the time it will take to get off the ship and through customs in time for our 9.15 pick up.

The embarking process seems a little different to that experienced when leaving a ship in Southampton

Excellent, thanks Peewee.

Have already booked a car service with that company, so will contact them to change the car type.

When you left the port did you have to call them or were they already waiting for you.

I am a little worried about the time it will take to get off the ship and through customs in time for our 9.15 pick up.

The embarking process seems a little different to that experienced when leaving a ship in Southampton

Hi Gilly

The problem we have is that we got lucky, so our experience of disembarkation might not be a true reflection on what you experience, because of Diana in the buggy we bypassed all the lines, we got off in about 40 Minutes, without the buggy i would say more like 3 hours.

We had originally booked for 11am then after getting our disembarkation time of 10.30 from Guest Services I called Carmelimo and changed it to 11.30 and just by pure luck we got out back on time.

If your staying for 5 days anyway, I would suggest rather than rush it. Book the car for 11.30 and don't try get off to early, chill out and relax in your room for along as possible then head down. Even if your luggage tags are the last numbers to be called (like ours where) you know they will be off the ship at 10.30 latest.

Ignore the numbers being called and just get off the ship at around 9.30- 10am giving you plenty time to collect luggage clear passport control and get the car.

We have sailed in and out of southampton numerous times and its not the same! Expect long lines as passport control! Can I also suggest unlike southampton when you enter the baggage hall a porter will ask do you want help, being from the UK and not used to it its tempting to say no, but say YES!! he will grab a trolley for you , load your bags up, take you through passport control and out to the front of the terminal, its a free service but you are expected to tip, which I did happily!!

I hope my advice is correct, and its only based on my experience!

The other thing I meant to add, is only buy the bus tickets for the HOHO bus when you plan to get on it, remember the 4 days all route tickets we bought, we never used them, walking around was too much fun!

I do hope you enjoy it as much as we have!

Hi Gilly

The problem we have is that we got lucky, so our experience of disembarkation might not be a true reflection on what you experience, because of Diana in the buggy we bypassed all the lines, we got off in about 40 Minutes, without the buggy i would say more like 3 hours.

We had originally booked for 11am then after getting our disembarkation time of 10.30 from Guest Services I called Carmelimo and changed it to 11.30 and just by pure luck we got out back on time.

If your staying for 5 days anyway, I would suggest rather than rush it. Book the car for 11.30 and don't try get off to early, chill out and relax in your room for along as possible then head down. Even if your luggage tags are the last numbers to be called (like ours where) you know they will be off the ship at 10.30 latest.

Ignore the numbers being called and just get off the ship at around 9.30- 10am giving you plenty time to collect luggage clear passport control and get the car.

We have sailed in and out of southampton numerous times and its not the same! Expect long lines as passport control! Can I also suggest unlike southampton when you enter the baggage hall a porter will ask do you want help, being from the UK and not used to it its tempting to say no, but say YES!! he will grab a trolley for you , load your bags up, take you through passport control and out to the front of the terminal, its a free service but you are expected to tip, which I did happily!!

I hope my advice is correct, and its only based on my experience!

The other thing I meant to add, is only buy the bus tickets for the HOHO bus when you plan to get on it, remember the 4 days all route tickets we bought, we never used them, walking around was too much fun!

I do hope you enjoy it as much as we have!

Good advice, although I have gone and arranged Basketball tickets at Madison Square Gardens and the game starts at 12.00. Now worried that we might not make it.

I might try and get an early departure time, then if there are queues we will just have to hang around til our car turns up. Will bear that in mind with the porter. It's all these little tips that help.

Thanks

Good advice, although I have gone and arranged Basketball tickets at Madison Square Gardens and the game starts at 12.00. Now worried that we might not make it.

I might try and get an early departure time, then if there are queues we will just have to hang around til our car turns up. Will bear that in mind with the porter. It's all these little tips that help.

Thanks

If you can manage to carry your own bags off it will be much quicker, you can get off first and also you skip the line into the baggage hall, good luck, don't spent the whole cruise getting stressed about it though as I NEARLY did, the car company is flexible and i just changed my attitude to "whats the worst that can happen?"

Peewee14 I have really enjoyed your review and have been reading your posts for 2 weeks now. Iam so glad you enjoyed your trip on the Quantum and have experienced a taste of NYC. Safe travels to you and your beautiful family.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Peewee14 - I have really enjoyed your cruise and NY reviews. You have seen more of NY then I have even though I was born there. Hope you guys have a safe travel back to the UK. BTW, we spent a week in London in July and also had a great time. We did the two week Independence of the Seas cruise from Southampton.

Our next cruise is on a smaller ship. Thanks again for letting me travel with you. I am still unsure about going on the Quantum in the future. Being a old time cruiser, I still like having set times for dinner with the same waiter each night. I know soon all the ships will have D.D. When that happens, I will have to make a decision do I stop being loyal to royal and try another cruise line?

Edited by Alysia
added a comment

Peewee,

This is a link to the "friends of Cruise Critic" forums. You can start a new thread there. PLEASE make a note on this thread with a link to the new one! We would LOVE to follow you.

I was in Inverness and Ireland last year, so would just love to hear about your time there. We just HAVE to see the new motorhome!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=649

Thank you so much for including us in your family Holiday. Next Trip consider Boston and Washington D.C. Not as cosmopolitan but lots of History.

Loved your review. I live in the NY area and seeing NY through your eyes just made me smile. I love the city and I feel lucky that I'm only a car, bus or train ride away. I just need the $$$ to go more often. You have a beautiful family.

loralie

Loved, loved. loved your review. Please do a blog on friends of cruise critic.

I know I would really enjoy your adventures!

I want to do a trans-Atlantic to Great Britain and look up my roots. I also want to see Downton Abbey sites.

So if I never get to do it, I at least can enjoy your adventures in my homeland. :)

Jet Lag Sucks!!

Feel weird!

Make a Wish New York has been back in touch and have taken the tickets for the Christmas Spectacular Show! So thats made me happy!

We have picked up the Motorhome and I managed to get it home without crashing in it, Diana is practicing camping in it at the moment,

Will be back along later to update you on our final leg and getting home :D

Just ordered a curry! not had one for a while

If you can give me a link to the section i will have a look!

I am lucky enough to have a pretty interesting work life all over the UK, and we are going to the Canary Islands for New Year.

A lot of my friends on Facebook like to follow my adventures, in their words "I am always up to something" and Diana usually is!

She has her Christmas nativity coming up in pre School, (thats what the video was about recently it was her practicing for it)

Thanks again everyone for your kind words, I am so glad you have enjoyed it, its been great fun for me!

Glad you made it home safely.

If you check out post #262 from About1, she had given you the link to start your own blog here on cruise critic. The thread starter is near the bottom of the page. We would all love to follow your adventures with your family.

Again, thank you for allowing us to follow along with your family on vacation.

HI!

Thank you for this awesome report! I have no idea how I stumbled upon this as I usually sail Celebrity and have no children but I loved every word of this report!

Your excitement you felt in NYC was the same way when we went to Europe! I am a lot like you, I just wanted to get out on the streets and explore Barcelona and Paris :)

My husband and I have no children yet but I will have to remember some of your parenting techniques ;) I liked the 3 toy rule in FAO Schwartz!

Thank you again, it was a joy to read!