Should I change dates? Price reduction

szdiver

I see that Jewel has a price reduction on my cabin for the September 12 cruise. It is half the price I am now paying, which is a substantial amount. Should I change my cruise to this one? We are now on the October 22nd one. Same iteniery(?).

Prices have gone down drastically......

Thanks for the thoughts....:confused:

If you want a certain cabin, check before you cancel to see if it is available on the September cruise. If it were me, I would change it. BUT, I am accustomed to sailing in hurricane season. If you are not, anything can happen in September with storms. I would think about this before you decide.

Depending on what kind of Cabin you have, I would check out the September 22nd sailing also, has a better itinerary, 2 full days in Bermuda :D

I take it you haven't paid your final payment yet right? If you have then it may not be worth the switch depending on how much you are saving, it may even be cheaper to pay the penalty.

Jimbo:)

Some added info to my earlier post on this thread, I have still seen Balcony Guarantees offered on some online sites for $1199 per person for the September 22nd sailing even though it doesn't show them on the RCCL site. You might still be able to get the Seniors Rate or Residence Rate Discount for this same sailing.

So you might have more options then just the one sailing you are looking at.

Jimbo:)

Here is the thing: Royal Suite on Sept. 12 cruise is: $3499pp including port, but taxes are extra. On Oct. 22, RS is $5100pp including port and taxes. The taxes are about $400.00. That makes the RS on 9/12 3600pp. That is a substantial amount of savings. The price to change planes is a little more than $100 approximately. That still would be a lot less to pay. Am I nuts? Why would RCCL do this to a good customer for booking out a year? Sounds like we all should wait till the last minute to book for a better deal, doesn't it?

Don't mean to gripe, but it does get you in the pocketbook.....RCCL are you listening?

I emailed RCCL about this situation and asked for an on-board credit - will let you know what they say, if anything...

YES, there have been some pretty substantial price reductions for late August to late September cruises. I had FIVE since orignally booking a GS on Mariner for 8/28, and just this week was able to upgrade to an OS and save ANOTHER $500. Pretty incredible; nothing like I've ever experienced.

BUT, this is traditionally the slowest season for cruising. October is still considered a slower season, but the ships are running fuller than they are in the late August-late September time frame.

Since you are in the ONLY Royal Suite on the ship there is no chance of a price reduction...because you already booked it. :) I would definitely switch to the less expensive date for the Royal Suite, if you can...that's about the best you can do to get a great deal.

I honestly don't think you'll get anywhere with RCCL on the pricing issue; if you cancel the suite in October someone else will book it, those suites rarely run empty. They have no incentive to give you any discount for that sailing if the demand is there.

Don't take it personally, it has nothing to do with being a good customer of RCCL, cruise prices VARY WIDELY from date to date. Heck, I'm actually paying LESS for an Owner's Suite next week than I am for an E1 on the SAME SHIP next June. That's just supply and demand. ;)

Enjoy your Royal Suite, whenever you sail! :D

Here is the thing: Royal Suite on Sept. 12 cruise is: $3499pp including port, but taxes are extra. On Oct. 22, RS is $5100pp including port and taxes. The taxes are about $400.00. That makes the RS on 9/12 3600pp. That is a substantial amount of savings. The price to change planes is a little more than $100 approximately. That still would be a lot less to pay. Am I nuts? Why would RCCL do this to a good customer for booking out a year? Sounds like we all should wait till the last minute to book for a better deal, doesn't it?

Don't mean to gripe, but it does get you in the pocketbook.....RCCL are you listening?

I emailed RCCL about this situation and asked for an on-board credit - will let you know what they say, if anything...

Sigh...unfortunately, they do it because they can.

Alexis is right about the weather, so be prepared for itinerary changes if there's a hurricane in sight. Otherwise, I'd go for it and save the money.

"Heck, I'm actually paying LESS for an Owner's Suite next week than I am for an E1 on the SAME SHIP next June. That's just supply and demand. ;)"

Or is it the price inflation we have been hearing about? I just priced a Celebrity cruise for February -- it's $1000 more per cabin, same level, than we paid in 2004.

I'm sure price inflation and the changes to RCCL's discounting policy DO have something to do with it. I think they realize they have overpriced certain sailings and they are discounting heavily in those cases as they reach the sailing dates, if they are not filling up cabins.

But I also think predictions of a worse-than-normal season (with two early hurricanes) have scared off some folks for those August/September sailings. That plus many with kids don't want to cruise right when kids go back to school. I just REALLY lucked out with the pricing for this sailing and the category I wanted. It's never happened before with a suite (and I am TA and agency owner) so I won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen again. ;)

Overall, though, it's the same with EVERY cruise line, relative to whatever pricing structure they have in place. High demand sailings = higher prices. If they are not filling up cabins, they discount the categories that are not filling up, as the cruise date nears. What's GOOD with RCCL is that they will apply the discounts after final payment, as long as it is not a restricted price special.

The key to this whole thing...continue to check pricing yourself or have a good TA who checks for you. Honestly, most of the time, you will NOT find any price reductions, but there are times during particularly slow seasons that you may luck out. :)

Why would RCCL give you onboard credit because your cruise is less on another date?

You can certainly switch, but you'll lose the deposit on the cruise you have now because it's less than 70 days.

Archived