Bedspreads washed between guests?

Granny pants

There actually isn't a bedspread per se. It's a duvet, and I can only assume that the duvet insert is used between guests. The outer portion (cover sheet) is removed and laundered and the inserts are laundered periodically, or as needed. I don't know this occurs 100% of the time, but considering I've noticed the stewards a lot of times will make the bed before we've left the cabin and disembarked. We'll go to breakfast before coming back to the cabin to retrieve bags, etc and the bed has been made for the next guest.

:oWe've never seen our steward when we arrive at our cabin. We just drop off our jackets and carry on bags and start exploring the ship.

I always leave a note on the bed that requests a top sheet and like magic, that evening, it's there!

There actually isn't a bedspread per se. It's a duvet, and I can only assume that the duvet insert is used between guests. The outer portion (cover sheet) is removed and laundered and the inserts are laundered periodically, or as needed. I don't know this occurs 100% of the time, but considering I've noticed the stewards a lot of times will make the bed before we've left the cabin and disembarked. We'll go to breakfast before coming back to the cabin to retrieve bags, etc and the bed has been made for the next guest.

I think that they keep the next cruise's linens under the bed so they can do a quick change of everything. I know that I've put my suitcase under it and then have had it buried by linens (in plastic wrappers), so I think (and certainly HOPE) that they just take everything, including the insert, off, use what's under the bed, take the old stuff to the laundry and shove it back under when it's done. I certainly hope that I'm not sleeping under a duvet that prior passengers have sweated or other unmentionable things into and not had it washed out.:eek::eek: The covers and top sheets aren't waterproof, after all.

PS the suites have bedspreads in addition to the duvets. Some stewards put them on daily, others don't (some ask and we say don't bother). I hope that those are washed, too for the reasons above.

Edited by critterchick

The duvets are horribly warm and never necessary in warm climates yet they are there every time we enter our cabin for the first day of our cruise. Just my own observation but with the "stiffness" of the fabric under the duvet cover, I am confident that they are cleaned between room changes. We always ask for a blanket to replace the duvet and a top sheet. I also am confident that the blanket it clean. And yes, there are always a full set of fresh linens, duvets, and even "toppers" under the bed.

:oWe've never seen our steward when we arrive at our cabin. We just drop off our jackets and carry on bags and start exploring the ship.

I always leave a note on the bed that requests a top sheet and like magic, that evening, it's there!

be very specific.....a few cruises ago, I requested a top sheet and when we came back from dinner, we did indeed get a top sheet....right on top of the duvet :D

Like hotels, the pillows are not changed just the covers. Duvets are changed, at least the head of laundry said they had to wash a full set of them after turnaround (I assume they keep spare sets to allow them to spread them out, we did notice a package of linens under the bed)

The duvets are horribly warm and never necessary in warm climates yet they are there every time we enter our cabin for the first day of our cruise. Just my own observation but with the "stiffness" of the fabric under the duvet cover, I am confident that they are cleaned between room changes. We always ask for a blanket to replace the duvet and a top sheet. I also am confident that the blanket it clean. And yes, there are always a full set of fresh linens, duvets, and even "toppers" under the bed.

We can say that the duvet covers were changed more than just on turnaround day on this last cruise. More than once during the 2 segments we happened to come back to the room while the steward was cleaning and both times he was in the process of changing the linens on the bed, including the duvet cover.

What is it and where do you put it?

The top sheet is just that....the sheet that goes over you, but under the blanket. In this case, the duvet. I request one too as the duvet is both very heavy and too warm in the tropics.

Tricia :)

They have linens for the other configuration of beds. If you have the queen there are sets for twin. If you have twin there are sets for queen. I don't know if there is an extra set for a certain configuration under there.

There is not normally a top sheet, just the bottom sheet and duvet.

As noted, your duvet will not be unwashed.

Then I ask for a second top sheet? Why do people want a second top shame?

Is there also a blanket?

Sorry if I'm not understanding this....my concern is germy, unwashed duvet (or blankets).

I think this is actually a great question to be asked !!

Me personally, I never gave it any thought to be honest. I am so diligent when it comes to cleaning anything that its never been a thought. However, whenever I cruise or travel, I always have lyseol packed and wetwipes. I know the stewards do a great job, but realize they are also on a time crunch also. So I give things a quick spray, wipe, etc. Especially the bedding. Clorox also makes an anytime spray that is in a plastic bottle that suits the same purpose.

I hope this suggestion may help some, it certainly won't harm anything thats for sure.

Safe Travels !

Sorry if I'm not understanding this....my concern is germy, unwashed duvet (or blankets).

The duvet has a cover that completely surrounds it. Think a giant pillow case if you will. The duvet itself, just like a pillow or a mattress is not washed, the cover is washed. If you are still worried about a "germy" duvet then you will have more issues with the mattress and pillows as well. Skip using the bed. :cool:

Edited by ar1950

Like hotels, the pillows are not changed just the covers. Duvets are changed, at least the head of laundry said they had to wash a full set of them after turnaround (I assume they keep spare sets to allow them to spread them out, we did notice a package of linens under the bed)

That must have been why my head itched the whole time on our cruise!:eek:

The room stewards do a great job but there is no way they have enough time to clean each cabin the way I would hope they would. I wipe down all the door & draw handles, the remote control, the phone and all other things that are touched on a consistent basis from cruise to cruise. I not only ask for a top sheet I also ask for a flat sheet to lay on top of the bed during the day so I can lay on the bed & read without thinking of how many other people have laided on those covers. My husband calls me "Howard Hughes"

I certainly hope that I'm not sleeping under a duvet that prior passengers have sweated or other unmentionable things into and not had it washed out.:eek::eek: The covers and top sheets aren't waterproof, after all.

If you're concerned, it may be of interest to bring a blacklight along with you. You may even start bringing your own blankets when traveling and perhaps no longer finding yourself walking around a hotel room/stateroom barefoot. :eek:

Edited by Disconnections

I disagree with most of you , there is absolutely no way that they could wash and dry that many duvets during a cruise ready for the next changeover along with all the other washing they have eg sheets , table linen and towels , the sheer volume alone would require another area on the ship for storage , but lets hope they do get washed periodically at least , maybe deck by deck :eek: