Just recd a phone call when to arrive

prkr11701

We are down in Ft Lauderdale a few days before the Reflection sales on Saturday. We usually get to port as early as possible and were just here in September for the Getaway. We got picked up by SAS at 9:30 and we're on the ship by 11:30. Spa cabin,not a suite so no preferential treatment.

I just got a recorded call asking that people show up based on deck number at various times. We are Aqua and I believe they said any time starting at noon. I think they said this for suites and concierge cabins too. Deck 6-7 was 2 o'clock.

Is this usual with Celebrity? I wasn't sure if this was a problem because they were apologizing

Should we just go ahead with scheduled pickup and sit in the terminal? Thanks

I received a text from them a few days ago saying not to show up at the terminal until after 1pm. My sailing is the first back from the Mediterranean so they said all crew and pax need to go thru some type of check. Is your sailing just back from over there as well?

We just got the same message in an email and since we are on deck 7 our boarding time is after 2:30-3:00. We were also planning to go around 11:00 so we purchased the 5 dinner package and wanted to book the specialty restaurants as soon as possible. Any advice would be helpful. If we go to the port earlier will we not be able to board until 2:30 or is this a "suggested" time?

We are down in Ft Lauderdale a few days before the Reflection sales on Saturday. We usually get to port as early as possible and were just here in September for the Getaway. We got picked up by SAS at 9:30 and we're on the ship by 11:30. Spa cabin,not a suite so no preferential treatment.

I just got a recorded call asking that people show up based on deck number at various times. We are Aqua and I believe they said any time starting at noon. I think they said this for suites and concierge cabins too. Deck 6-7 was 2 o'clock.

Is this usual with Celebrity? I wasn't sure if this was a problem because they were apologizing

Should we just go ahead with scheduled pickup and sit in the terminal? Thanks

I believe they are trying to stagger the crowds. I recalled reading somewhere that they expect almost 20,000 people arriving/departing on November 8th in Fort Lauderdale.

I was able to confirm there will be 5 ships in port that day, with an approximate "port load" of 18,000.

Here's the website where you can find the number of ships in a port on a given day:

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/United_States_Of_America/212-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida/November_2014/

Coast Guard inspections, a very heavy passenger load in Port Everglades and Port of Miami, has the avaible services in both places streached to the max. We got the text last yr when sailing the Reflection, and a few days ago about our upcoming on the Equinox.

The waiting area inside the terminals is not equiped, nor large enought to hold 2500 people at the same time. So, nuttin new, happens all the time.

The Reflection is currently on its way back to Miami from St. Martin. (It is sailing from Miami Saturday, not Ft. Lauderdale.) My wife and I are sailing on it this Saturday, and I got an email with requested arrival times today. We're on Deck 9 and are supposed to arrive between 1:30 and 2:00. I spoke to a Celebrity reservations agent. He confirmed the content of the email. He also indicated that he had received no notification of any change in the ship's departure tme, currently scheduled for 4:00. The last arrival time is supposed to be 3:00 to 3:30 (for decks 3 & 6). I can't imagine how that would allow a 4:00 departure. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the ship. Perhaps it's expected to arrive later than normal in Miami, or maybe there's a maintenance or cleaning issue. We live in Baltimore and are staying in Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow night.

The Reflection is currently on its way back to Miami from St. Martin. (It is sailing from Miami Saturday, not Ft. Lauderdale.) My wife and I are sailing on it this Saturday, and I got an email with requested arrival times today. We're on Deck 9 and are supposed to arrive between 1:30 and 2:00. I spoke to a Celebrity reservations agent. He confirmed the content of the email. He also indicated that he had received no notification of any change in the ship's departure tme, currently scheduled for 4:00. The last arrival time is supposed to be 3:00 to 3:30 (for decks 3 & 6). I can't imagine how that would allow a 4:00 departure. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the ship. Perhaps it's expected to arrive later than normal in Miami, or maybe there's a maintenance or cleaning issue. We live in Baltimore and are staying in Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow night.

It's likely the same story (Ft Lauderdale was mentioned in the original post, which is why I searched that particular port). They are probably trying to stagger the arriving crowds, since they can't do that with the folks who are leaving the ship.

Remember that if they are staggering arrival times, then an arrival at 3-3:30 will not mean a lot of people will be arriving at that time.

I doubt there is anything wrong with the ship.

I believe they are trying to stagger the crowds. I recalled reading somewhere that they expect almost 20,000 people arriving/departing on November 8th in Fort Lauderdale.

I was able to confirm there will be 5 ships in port that day, with an approximate "port load" of 18,000.

Here's the website where you can find the number of ships in a port on a given day:

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/United_States_Of_America/212-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida/November_2014/

Yikes that is one heavy day... 4 out of the 5 are Huge Ships

Westerdam = 1848 Pax

Emerald Princess = 3080 Pax

Ruby Princess = 3080 Pax

Liberty of the Seas = 4600 Pax

Oasis = 5400 to 6300 Pax

At Max Capacity that is over 18,000... That is unlikely this early in the season... But they could easily be at 15,000

Lol, and that is going both ways, off & on for a total of 30,000

So glad I am not going to be in Fort Lauderdale that day, both the Port & Airport are probably going to be a zoo

Cheers!

Why does everyone always assume the worst (There must be something wrong with the ship!)

How about the idea that Celebrity is trying to stagger the arrival times so there won't be traffic gridlock and gridlock in the passenger terminals? To give you a better boarding experience? Makes sense to me. Tons of construction going on around the Ft. Lauderdale terminal. Traffic is horrendous. Not enough cabs to service that kind of passenger load all at once. At least there are places for some people to sit to wait for boarding at Ft. Lauderdale. There is no place to sit in Miami.

We are in Ft Lauderdale and have the limo picking us up at 10am. So we will be at the port for 11am

After all these years of cruising, I've gotten messages before re boarding times.

I get to the port when I planned on getting to the port.

Does the "priority check-in" benefit that Concierge class touts mean that Concierge guests would get an earlier embarkation window?

Should work that way.

Especially as on the S-Class Ships Suites, Aquas & Concierge Classes are not all that spread out (upper decks)

Based on the earlier posts does look like the "Boarding Times" are working top down... With Decks 6 & 3 Boarding Last (ie no Cabins on 5 or 4)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Does the "priority check-in" benefit that Concierge class touts mean that Concierge guests would get an earlier embarkation window?

Should work that way.

Especially as on the S-Class Ships Suites, Aquas & Concierge Classes are not all that spread out (upper decks)

Based on the earlier posts does look like the "Boarding Times" are working top down... With Decks 6 & 3 Boarding Last (ie no Cabins on 5 or 4)

Cheers!

We were in a deck 9 C2 on Reflection last yr, 12:30 was our requested time to make our grand entry:D

Dont fret it ya'll! They aint gonna sail when there are pax in the terminal checkin in :D

How are they going to handle elite members who are on decks 6 & 7 they usually let board after suites before everyone else? Just wondering

Found this discussion when boarding was staggered in Southampton earlier this year:

----'but it also says that Captains Club levels who get priority boarding, plus suites etc can board anytime from 11.30am - 3.30pm at their convenience.'

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2032900

Edited by upwarduk

Got a call about Silhouette leaving on the 16th. We are on deck 7 and are advised to arrive between 3:00 and 3:30 pm. Last time we boarded at 3:00 pm on RCCL, our luggage wasn't brought to our cabin by the time we went to dinner. Hopefully that won't be the case this time.

Yikes that is one heavy day... 4 out of the 5 are Huge Ships

Westerdam = 1848 Pax

Emerald Princess = 3080 Pax

Ruby Princess = 3080 Pax

Liberty of the Seas = 4600 Pax

Oasis = 5400 to 6300 Pax

At Max Capacity that is over 18,000... That is unlikely this early in the season... But they could easily be at 15,000

Lol, and that is going both ways, off & on for a total of 30,000

So glad I am not going to be in Fort Lauderdale that day, both the Port & Airport are probably going to be a zoo

John..

Cheers!

What do you show for Miami....for Sat Nov 8th...thanks

hcat

How are they going to handle elite members who are on decks 6 & 7 they usually let board after suites before everyone else? Just wondering

There is a post on our Refkection roll call for Nov 8 with the groupings by deck and boarding times,,,

Suites, AQ , Zenith and Elite plus..go in a wider range...did not mention Elites...and can!t recall concierge,,, I will try to copy and paste it .....

it worked.....see below

Quote:

Hello, this is Celebrity Cruises. We would like to provide you with important information regarding your sailing on November 8, 2014, onboard Celebrity Reflection. To enhance your check-in and boarding experience, we ask that you arrive to the terminal based on your assigned decks. 12:30 to 1:00 PM = Deck 14, Deck 12, & Deck 11; 1:00 to 1:30 PM = Deck 10; 1:30 to 2:00 PM = Deck 9; 2:00 to 2:30 PM = Deck 8; 2:30 to 3:00 PM = Deck 7; 3:00 to 3:30 PM = Deck 6 & Deck 3. We invite our Suites, Zenith, Aqua, and Elite Plus guests to arrive anytime between 12:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. We appreciate...............

Edited by hcat

What do you show for Miami....for Sat Nov 8th...thanks

hcat

Hi HCAT,

My info comes from the same website (CruiseTT) that DINAS linked to with Reply # 5

It shows for Port of Miami the following (again, smallest to largest) on November 8th:

Carnival Glory = 2974 Pax

Celebrity Reflection = 3046 Pax

Carnival Breeze = 3690 Pax

Norwegian Getaway = 3969 Pax

Total = 13,679 Pax Max Load

Again, even at 80% load that is equal to about 11,000 Pax coming and going (22,000) for that one day.

Cruise TT Cruise Ships in Port (Miami) = http://m.cruisett.com/p/United_States_Of_America/426-Miami_Florida/November_2014/

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Well, i may get flamed for this, but it sounds like a pretty good idea to me. I've seen a number of posts here complaining about lines at embarkation, crowding at the 1st day buffet, and so on. Celebrity is just trying to relieve the stress on everyone. I hope that cruisers try to honor the suggestions and arrive close to their assigned time--- otherwise we get into "The rules don't apply to me....."