Paying for Upgraded Cabin Post Final Payment

cle-guy

I'm sailing in a group soon, and some in the group have started asking about if they can pay to upgrade to a higher cabin category.

I thought anyone could PAY to do so so long as one actually pays $1 or more to get the better cabin and get put in a higher category cabin, but MAY lose perks if they do. These folks understand they may lose perks in the process in some circumstances.

However the group agency has said:

{group name} will allow our passengers to upgrade to a higher category at the current rate, provided the cruise line pricing policy allows that, and the passengers would then pay only the difference in the rates. It is important to understand that some promotional rates are only for new reservations and the cruise line will not allow the travel agents to offer those rates to passengers already booked and paid in full. This is the cruise line's pricing policy.

Is this bolded part true, that sometimes even if you want to pay the difference between existing discount fare and current selling price, they won't allow one to upgrade and pay, even if perks are lost? Seems odd the cruise line would say no to extra cash with so many open cabins.

This is the Nov 30 Sillie sailing, which at the moment is only 52% sold out - cabins open still in every cabin category but CS, RS, PH and FV. So lots of good cabins left.

I think the group just doesn't want to do the work, as the same group has also told us all we can't upgrade our drinks packages in advance, then we call Celebrity who tells us our group agency can do it, to be told by the group, no they can't. They are a registered travel agency, for the record with IATA number, been in business for over 20 years they say. The group is paying the prevailing rates as advertised on X's website, we are not getting any sort of discount or additional perks than what X offers at the moment of booking.

I think they are just being lazy and don't want the extra work involved.

Thoughts?

I'm sailing in a group soon, and some in the group have started asking about if they can pay to upgrade to a higher cabin category.

I thought anyone could PAY to do so so long as one actually pays $1 or more to get the better cabin and get put in a higher category cabin, but MAY lose perks if they do. These folks understand they may lose perks in the process in some circumstances.

Is this bolded part true, that sometimes even if you want to pay the difference between existing discount fare and current selling price, they won't allow one to upgrade and pay, even if perks are lost? Seems odd the cruise line would say no to extra cash with so many open cabins.

This is the Nov 30 Sillie sailing, which at the moment is only 52% sold out - cabins open still in every cabin category but CS, RS, PH and FV. So lots of good cabins left.

I think the group just doesn't want to do the work, as the same group has also told us all we can't upgrade our drinks packages in advance, then we call Celebrity who tells us our group agency can do it, to be told by the group, no they can't. They are a registered travel agency, for the record with IATA number, been in business for over 20 years they say. The group is paying the prevailing rates as advertised on X's website, we are not getting any sort of discount or additional perks than what X offers at the moment of booking.

Thoughts?

I upgraded from a 2D balcony to an AQ grty. earlier this year on the Equinox TA after final payment- total cost: $90 pp. Sounds like the agency handling the group doesn't want to handle any additional work, but wants all the reward.

Tony

I don't know about any other Cruise Lines, but Celebrity certainly lets Pax upgrade at the current prevailing rate (you pay the difference between your booked / paid for price and the one currently advertised)

I suppose... That it being a Group Booking / Charter Group, could have some bearing, in that I know their pricing that I've seen online always seems to be vastly different from a regular cruise fare (be that higher or lower)... And then there is the aspect of how the Group holds their written agreement / contact with Celebrity on pricing etc

But...

Considering their comments on the Bevvy Pkgs, and now this...

Personally, I am guessing this is just a case of laziness... Let's do the least work and reap the maximum rewards.

As someone line yourself who has sailed on Celebrity would certainly leave a bad taste in my mouth for this TA and their ability or organize stuff

God help you if something went wrong and you truly needed them in your corner. Thinking they'd be making themselves really scarce then

Cheers!

But...

Personally, I am guessing this is just a case of laziness... Let's do the least work and reap the maximum rewards.

As someone line yourself who has sailed on Celebrity would certainly leave a bad taste in my mouth for this TA and their ability or organize stuff

God help you if something went wrong and you truly needed them in your corner. Thinking they'd be making themselves really scarce then

Cheers!

Lets say I've caught them in a laundry list of lies and mistruths (I've used their group services 4 times in the last 2 years) and honestly believe they are being less than truthful. I have in fact sent a letter to X with documentation on several other matters that I believe they have been less than truthful about, all of which they have blamed celebrity directly for causing the problems.

This is my last cruise using them, but seems I'm the most knowledgeable in the group (we have an organized FB page where people are asking these questions) and people are getting different answers from the group that what my experience with X is, and from reading these forums, and from some other people. Like some have had no problem moving from veranda to suite, but the group wont bother with a move from veranda to better veranda where the price difference is only $50, so I figure they aren't willing to do the work for their extra $5 commission on the change, but will do the work on a suite upgrade, for example.

I could not upgrade on our last cruise, September 21, 2014, because of this exact reason. Celebrity said the rates were for new bookings only. So yes, even if you are willing to pay the extra they would not let me change my booking. I was not booked as part of a group, so that had nothing to do with it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I had an issue like this once in a group booking. I felt trapped! I do not know how much work it is or if rules within the group purchased make it impossible but it was described to me this way.

Sometimes it is for new bookings only but often that switches to residential and it can be allowed.

I truely think promos and rules for these things are unnecessarily complex.

I have always been able to upgrade after final payment whether or not I use a travel agent and irregardless of whether the promo says for new bookings only. In addition, I travel solo and can always upgrade even if the guarantee cabins after final payment say they are only for double occupancy. This is also true on the exciting deals Tuesday promotions.

They key is having a persistent travel agent or, if booking direct, calling CaptainsClub, not the regular agents, many of whom have never even been on a cruise, and go strictly by the book. Also, make sure they call the resolution department and dont take no for an answer.

I recently upgraded from an inside to concierge and finally to Aqua on the Connie as prices fell for the cruise after final payment. And I have done the same on almost every cruise I have taken. It is true you have to book guarantee and lose perks, but sometimes it is worth it, esp to upgrade from inside to aqua for a minimal cost.

We had an S1 sky booked and paid in full with TA. Celebrity listed "Royal gty" for good rated. TA called in for upgrade for us two weeks ago. Before I got home Celebrity had update our info on line for penthouse suite. We did lose $200 on board credit, but Michaels will make up for that. Don't think that was one of their group bookings, they had people on board our cruise last fall and had couple on board specials. Sounds like it might be the TA.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't know about any other Cruise Lines, but Celebrity certainly lets Pax upgrade at the current prevailing rate (you pay the difference between your booked / paid for price and the one currently advertised)

I suppose... That it being a Group Booking / Charter Group, could have some bearing, in that I know their pricing that I've seen online always seems to be vastly different from a regular cruise fare (be that higher or lower)... And then there is the aspect of how the Group holds their written agreement / contact with Celebrity on pricing etc

But...

Cheers!

This is not 100% true.

Celebrity posts Exciting Deals rates within 75 days of sailing. These are for new bookings only, and are not combinable with any offer previously booked, nor are you allowed to be "retro'd" to an Exciting Deals fare. Exciting Deals rates are deep discount last minute sell of rates for new bookings only, usually on a Guarantee Basis.

Not only are they not combinable with any other fare that was previously booked, but they are also strictly not combinable with groups.

The only time you can move up after final payment is if the STANDARD (unrestricted) fare goes down, OR/ if you switch to a Resident, Seniors rate etc (though in this case you'd lose your 123 GO or Pick Your Perk etc. and may also not be combinable with the group that you're booked in).

I have always been able to upgrade after final payment whether or not I use a travel agent and irregardless of whether the promo says for new bookings only. In addition, I travel solo and can always upgrade even if the guarantee cabins after final payment say they are only for double occupancy. This is also true on the exciting deals Tuesday promotions.

They key is having a persistent travel agent or, if booking direct, calling CaptainsClub, not the regular agents, many of whom have never even been on a cruise, and go strictly by the book. Also, make sure they call the resolution department and dont take no for an answer.

I'm glad that Celebrity and/or your TA were able to make an EXCEPTION for you and move you / "retro" you onto a rate that expressly states it's for new bookings only.

However if you've been gifted an EXCEPTION, it's unfortunate that there now becomes an EXPECTATION that this will be standard going forward ("Don't take no for an answer").

It also makes it harder for TA's because if Celebrity (and correctly so) refuses to switch someone to an Exciting Deals last minute sell off rate, the TA is often branded as "lazy" or given a bad rap. As a result, I have mixed feelings about whether Celebrity should even make exceptions as it just sets everyone up for failure down the way when people expect it every time.

Exciting Deals rates are explicit, here's the first line from the Celebrity Terms & Conditions for Exciting Deals promo rates:

"The Exciting Deals rate program is valid for new bookings only, is not combinable with any other offer or promotion and does not count towards tour conductor credits."

Edited by YYC F/A

-----It is important to understand that some promotional rates are only for new reservations and the cruise line will not allow the travel agents to offer those rates to passengers already booked and paid in full. This is the cruise line's pricing policy.

These are the T&C if you live in UK.

I have been given a refund if the price has down, just before I pay, but I understood that once paid, there is no change to the booking.

I recently upgraded from an inside to concierge and finally to Aqua on the Connie as prices fell for the cruise after final payment. And I have done the same on almost every cruise I have taken. It is true you have to book guarantee and lose perks, but sometimes it is worth it, esp to upgrade from inside to aqua for a minimal cost.

Do you always have to book guarantee if you want to upgrade after final payment? Is there ever a situation where you can upgrade and also choose a general cabin location too if the rooms are avail? (Like midship, for ex)

Thanks, hulamoon. Unfortunately, I just remembered my sailing was part of a TA's group rate. I heard there are lots of restrictions on those...so probably can't upgrade to anything after final payment. And final payment is 3 weeks earlier than the individual booking - restricting me even further. Oh well. The rate I got was pretty decent, so I'll try not to drive myself crazy by checking rates after FP and just concentrate on enjoying the cruise :)

On Friday, my brother upgraded his holiday sailing on Summit in five weeks from an oceanview base cabin to an Aqua 1 for 100 total. His reservation is part of a group rate, and he did lose some perks, but kept others.

The drop in prices was not on an exciting deals promotion, just a sailing with lots of cabins left to book.

I've been able to upgrade cabins after final payment date so long as the dropped price was not for an exciting deals booking, and the new cabin was more expensive than the cabin grade I initially booked.

I would ask the agent or travel manager nicely why a cabin couldn't be upgraded. It's possible that it may have to do with the contract group price, but if it isn't that and it is not an exciting deals restriction pricing, then I would hope they would try and accomodate the request for the cabin change.

Thoughts?

I think you are correct, and shame on them!

I tried to upgrade our last Celebrity cruise after final payment as the price drops were massive.. To do so however, I would have lost my $300 OBC and drinks package, since these weren't combinable with the State/Age discount that was showing. When I worked it out, we decided to stay where we were.

So, I guess it depends on the discounts/prices that are showing up.

I was able to upgrade our A1 to a suite gty and then to a Signature Suite all after final payment. I didn't have any perks to lose and I figure this is the only time prices will be cheap enough for me to get that high of a category. My TA handled all of it. These were Tuesday Special prices, too.

She even honored the pricing for the Signature Suite since it had changed by the time she was able to change the booking and she took the hit. :D

My sister has also upgraded after final payment using the Tuesday special pricing and has had no issues, and she goes through Celebrity directly. As long as the cabin is more expensive, my understanding is you can upgrade any time (outside of a group booking). But I've never done it until now.

• 1 month later...

We are post-final payment and have beverage package promo. Noticed this morning they have opened up category FV on our sailing. Want to upgrade 2B to FV, however TA said that since the CURRENT bev package promo isn't applicable to our sail date, we would lose the drink package if we upgrade. As info the FV rate is not Exciting deals, senior, resident, etc, but appears to be a full rate.

I thought as long as the FV wasn't a restricted rate (which it's not), we could upgrade and retain our beverage package.

Opinions?