Photography Shore X in Juneau or Tracy Arm?

magandab

We can do one, but not both of these shore excursions and would like some input and opinions.

Our cruise includes the Tracy Arm, so the smaller boat through is Option 1.

In Juneau, same day and overlapping, is a 5 hour land and sea photography excursion with expert advice not only on the taking of photos, but on each person's camera. The tour is limited to 14 people. (I am a photo buff). That's Option 2.

If it matters, this cruise also goes to Glacier Bay.

Discuss.

hi, i did the tracy arm in sept. on the zuidy, was the best,5 hrs of sailing , saw a slice of a glaiser the size of a apartment calf off, and we where so close, the boat rocked and rolled, and the wildlife was good,, the best was the breaching of a humpback whale, he did it all around our boat, for more tham 20 min., even the crew was amaized--( sorry spell ck not working)--the weather was mostly misty and rainy with spashes of sun shine,,

Edited by maxie99

but you where pretty much left to your self with taking photos, and there where over 50 people on this 3 decked boat, your option 2 sounds great, for hands on advice,, sorry i dont think that helps much--so you have to go 2 times next yr. lol-:)

Edited by maxie99

We can do one, but not both of these shore excursions and would like some input and opinions.

Our cruise includes the Tracy Arm, so the smaller boat through is Option 1.

In Juneau, same day and overlapping, is a 5 hour land and sea photography excursion with expert advice not only on the taking of photos, but on each person's camera. The tour is limited to 14 people. (I am a photo buff). That's Option 2.

If it matters, this cruise also goes to Glacier Bay.

Discuss.

I love Tracy Arm, and will go every chance I get. :D BUT, on one Alaska cruise we met a woman who took the Photo Safari. She said it was the BEST EVER thing she had EVER done. She, too, was a photo buff. It was small, personal, helpful, and they saw amazing wildlife. (The excursion she took went to see whales.... is that the same as yours?) So my personal experience isn't helpful ;) but perhaps the second-hand info is?

Have you checked the reviews for shorex on the HAL site?

Discuss.

I have taken the HAL photography excursion and very much enjoyed the small group. The guide was a working professional photographer and took us to the ideal locations to get pictures of Mendenhall Glacier.

p5191922.jpg

Expert guidance for each persons camera was provided as well as tips for bokeh (putting only some elements of a photograph in focus) by the use of aperture control.

The succeeding whale watch was pretty cool as the guide give tips for capturing quick reaction shots with digital cameras.

P7160077.jpg

IMHO the opportunity for professionally-led learning would be a better choice. Go for Option 2.

Edited by Crew News

I had been up & down Tracy Arm several times on the cruise ship, but never on the small boat shore excursion. I booked my 7th Alaska cruise for the sole purpose of taking that excursion.

Although it wasn't the best weather that day, it is one day I will never forget. It was worth taking the cruise to do that excursion.

The best advice is take one tour this time, and plan to take the other tour the next time you go. But remember, the Tracy Arm shore excursion is not available from most of the ships; the photography excursion probably is. Check that before you decide.

I have taken the HAL photography excursion and very much enjoyed the small group. The guide was a working professional photographer and took us to the ideal locations to get pictures of Mendenhall Glacier.

p5191922.jpg

Expert guidance for each persons camera was provided as well as tips for bokeh (putting only some elements of a photograph in focus) by the use of aperture control.

The succeeding whale watch was pretty cool as the guide give tips for capturing quick reaction shots with digital cameras.

P7160077.jpg

IMHO the opportunity for professionally-led learning would be a better choice. Go for Option 2.

Don't mean to highjack this thread but Crew News, these are awesome photo's. Wow.

Don't mean to highjack this thread but Crew News, these are awesome photo's. Wow.

Thanks. The images were from my website as they prove my point about having an excursion's professional photographer give you advice and take you to the right locations.

So as not to downplay the OPs Option 1, here is Tracy Arm in September:

p9120116.jpg

Thanks for the input so far. The reviews on the HAL site are actually more positive for the photo safari than the Tracy Arm, mainly due to the crowding on the smaller boat. The photo trip really speaks to me, and Mom agrees. We will probably end up doing that one, but I am still open to more opinions.

We have done the photo safari twice and really enjoyed it. The boat is small with widows that fold up and away for photography. In addition you are down at water level so your camera angle is great. Fewer people on the boat means less "jockeying for a good place". We followed a pod of orcas on one trip and had a humpback surface very close to the boat on another. You could smell the "krill breath" when he spouted. Have only been in the Tracey arm on the "big" ship. Got some amazing trips on the photo safari and lots of good advice from the professional photographer.

I took the Juneau "Photographic Safari" and learned a lot about my camera and how to frame pictures. I also got some great pictures of whales and bald eagles and seals (sea lions?). This excursion was worth its price. At the end they gave us each a DVD with info on taking better pictures.

I'm also a camera buff. I was really keen to see whales when we were in Juneau and although we saw many breaching close to the tour boat, it poured with rain for the whole of the trip. Disappointing photographically as the light was so low. Juneau apparently is supposed to be the wettest place in Alaska, so it all depends on whether you want to take that chance.

While I've done neither of these, I will now be looking hard to see if the photo safari is available on our Alaska cruise next September.

From one photo buff to another, having to choose, I think the smaller group with the professional could be priceless. Anytime you can get that kind of advice is worthwhile to me. Scenery, wildlife, photo tips ... and, you still get to see Glacier Bay.

Cheers!