Ship not full - Impact on Service and food

kibutzer

The solutions that you are inferring don't work for a non-mass market cruise line.

They can't lay off trained staff before a lightly patronized cruise, for example, unless the ship continuously returns to that same port to pick them up again.

-And the food is a non issue, as the menus are "set" years in advance.

You'll never notice any kind of a difference based on occupancy.

Looks like our T/A may be low on occupancy. How does that impact service food quality and variety. Any difference? Thanks

Hello, Bonnie. I never checked to see how booked our TA is. I don't think there will be any difference in anything. O is not going to risk its reputation with devotees. We TA types are real fans of sailing the high seas. The line regards us as living gravy because they make money on what is a repositioner. Turning us off this type of cruise would be foolish.They have to get Riviera to its next market. Better to do it with some cash flow. Many cruisers don't like sea days. They see them as wasted time. I don't expect to notice a thinner crowd. I look forward to meeting you very soon. Barcelona, here we come for the umpteenth time.

Mary

I don't think it matters which cruise itinerary or ship we're talking about.

We've been on cruises (not necessarily TAs) on Oceania that were far from sold out and there was no diminishing in service. Far from it -- more crew to deal with fewer passengers.

Does OP worry that they won't prepare delectable dishes for fewer passengers?

I can't see where this would be a problem ... maybe because it's never been a problem for us when we were on an undersold itinerary.

Mura

My experience has been that a light passenger complement just means great service and a slightly more spacious feel to the ship. On Riviera, with a full ship (on a TA), we did feel some crowding, so that would be a bonus. You'll also have a better shot at getting extra bookings in the specialty restaurants if you want them.

Sitting on the beautiful Riviera today and I just wanted to tell you all that we have a very happy and wonderful ship's crew, officers and Captain who have been nothing but accommodating to us since we arrived on a sunny and warm Saturday in Monte Carlo. However, the weather here in Civitavecchia today is truly awful, fog, rain and thunderstorms. We had already decided to stay on board and I feel truly sorry for those taking shore excursions to Rome.

Food on board is exceptional and we are waiting for our late lunch to arrive - the most yummy Polar Applewood Wood Smoked Salmon Club .... a mouthwatering triple decker which I have dreamt about for the last year! LOL!;):D

The ship is sailing with just under the 1200 guests and is in immaculate condition.

Sadly no longer any chocolate ravioli in Toscana but the Chocolate Lasagne more than made up for it! :D

So look forward to your cruise OP, it will be everything you dreamt of and more!

J&S - "your" Lady Moura is happily bouyant in Port Hercules and I am trying hard to work out what frame of mind a certain artist was in when he drew the piece hanging at my right shoulder! I am sure you will know exactly where I am whilst writing this, but let's keep that delicious secret entre nous! :):)

I don't mean to hyjack the discussion, but you hear the same argument with cruise prices. Some cruises cost more than others. I can't bring myself to say cheaper. Based on talking with Future Cruise staff, they claim to not know who paid full price for that Penthouse and who got an upsell. If you allowed quality control to lapse on one cruise, how could you maintain it normally.

I don't mean to hyjack the discussion, but you hear the same argument with cruise prices. Some cruises cost more than others. I can't bring myself to say cheaper. Based on talking with Future Cruise staff, they claim to not know who paid full price for that Penthouse and who got an upsell. If you allowed quality control to lapse on one cruise, how could you maintain it normally.

Maybe the Future cruise staff are there to sell

The Revenue dept is the one that sends out the other offers for upsells, downsells & move off offers

not sure what that has to do with quality control

you still get the same service, food & amenities as others on the same sailing