Carnival Miracle cruise... the good, the bad and plenty of ugly

StarSong

I actually like the décor on the Miracle except for the grotesque MDR. I love the layout of the ship and the Serenity area is wonderful. I know food is subjective, but I've always been able to find something I liked for breakfast and lunch. I prefer eating dinner in the MDR to the buffet. It's nice to be served dinner.

Edited by jsfromsc

Thanks to those who wrote supportive or neutral comments. Being a member of Cruise Critic for a number of years and having seen many negative responses to reviewers remarks, I initiated this thread with some trepidation.

I stand by my assessment of the food. Having sailed a little over 100 days all told (on four different lines), my husband and I are far from newbies. We know what to expect when it comes to MDR and buffet offerings. This cruise the selections were subpar, overly repetitive and of mediocre quality. Whether it was a fluke or part of a trend is an open question.

While far from an interior designer myself, I do generally enjoy the decor of the ships I've lived on for a week or so at at time. Stopping for a couple of minutes to admire and learn a bit about an interesting painting, sculpture, weaving, poster, diorama or collage, as well as the person who created it, is an enjoyable part of my cruising experience and one that I look forward to.

As Tapi said, all of my senses go along with me on vacations so I appreciate being surrounded by appointments that are beautiful, appealing and interesting.

There was much to enjoy and praise about this cruise, but in my opinion Carnival also has room for improvement.

Thanks to those who wrote supportive or neutral comments. Being a member of Cruise Critic for a number of years and having seen many negative responses to reviewers remarks, I initiated this thread with some trepidation.

I stand by my assessment of the food. Having sailed a little over 100 days all told (on four different lines), my husband and I are far from newbies. We know what to expect when it comes to MDR and buffet offerings. This cruise the selections were subpar, overly repetitive and of mediocre quality. Whether it was a fluke or part of a trend is an open question.

While far from an interior designer myself, I do generally enjoy the decor of the ships I've lived on for a week or so at at time. Stopping for a couple of minutes to admire and learn a bit about an interesting painting, sculpture, weaving, poster, diorama or collage, as well as the person who created it, is an enjoyable part of my cruising experience and one that I look forward to.

As Tapi said, all of my senses go along with me on vacations so I appreciate being surrounded by appointments that are beautiful, appealing and interesting.

There was much to enjoy and praise about this cruise, but in my opinion Carnival also has room for improvement.

Well said StarSong

Breakfast and lunch seating in the MDR uses the unappealing system of shuffling passengers to long tables, filling tables by headcounts rather than by the size of the party being seated. (RCI also does this.) It will be a happy day for many when this lowbrow cafeteria practice goes by the boards.

Can you elaborate on this? :confused: So if my family went to a Sea Day Brunch in the MDR, we would have to sit at a long table with a bunch of other people? No private tables?

Can you elaborate on this? :confused: So if my family went to a Sea Day Brunch in the MDR, we would have to sit at a long table with a bunch of other people? No private tables?

I'm not sure if we were at sea day brunches or lunches. We were in the MDR at roughly lunchtime and were indeed seated that way. Someone remarked on this thread that we could have requested a table for two, which I didn't know during the cruise.

As we were led by the maitre d' from the entry to the long table, I noticed only long tables being used during those serving times. We weren't asked if we wanted a private table nor were we aware that it might have been an option. We don't tend to request special consideration, so without seeing others at private tables we wouldn't ask for that seating ourselves.

hi there, I'm very interested in all your comments about the Miracle. We're saling on 7th Feb, our first time with Carnival as previously have been with RCI., NCL And P&O

Saling on the the Miracle is part of a 17 day holiday package from UK including 4 nights LV 2 in SF and 2 in LA, and then the cruise. I think I will need a restful cruise after a busy week.

We only ask for good food, good staterooms and good service. I hope I get all 3 on my first Carnival experience.

Yes well stated and we totally agree. Some folks are extremely sensitive to critique and can be defensive, and some folks will still consider you an inexperienced cruiser even after "reading" this :p

But honest (and very well articulated) reports like yours are so useful to others like us. :)

Edited by blue_water

They will ask you if you want to sit with others, just tell them "no". It's not a problem at all. I would imagine most groups larger than two prefer not to share a table.

Make sure to try the brunch your first sea day. May be the best meal on the cruise.

Quite a few nude murals around the ship, remind the minions it's "art".

They will ask you if you want to sit with others, just tell them "no". It's not a problem at all. I would imagine most groups larger than two prefer not to share a table.

We were definitely not asked if we wanted to sit with others. Trust me.

Why complain, StarSong? At least you're wealthy and can afford a special cruise! :D Wish I could :( Happy sailing! Eat a lobster tail for me next time, buddy! :p

Sorry if you can't cruise salt wind, that's a shame and I can see any negative thoughts would sound bad to you. I did appreciate star songs witty and honest report though, at least it was well balanced and not biased.

Sorry if you can't cruise salt wind, that's a shame and I can see any negative thoughts would sound bad to you. I did appreciate star songs witty and honest report though, at least it was well balanced and not biased.

I also appreciated StarSong's fair and balanced review and found it very helpful.

I cruised on this ship in March and agree with your assessment of the food. Even dining room was bad, most nights we didn't finish our meals.

2 weeks ago we went on the freedom, the food in dining rooms was much better. Variety and healthy still lacking in buffet though.

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app

We only went to the Sea Day Brunch once, but when we did, we were seated at our own table. Maybe it's because we were traveling with a 3 year old though. ;)

• 1 month later...

Parking Info: There are two lots with the same owner, both $5.00 per 24 hours. 110 W. Ocean Blvd and 150 W. Ocean Blvd. We used the one at 150. It's a fairly large lot that goes all the way to the next block where there is a second driveway. Address of that entrance is 150 W. Seaside Way.

Occasionally there are large events held in Long Beach (the Long Beach Grand Prix springs immediately to mind), in which case the lots may either be closed or priced differently. The owner (or maybe he's the manager) is named Alex, phone number is 562.951.3868. Double check with him before making your plans if that makes you more comfortable.

After parking and locking your vehicle, go out the Ocean Blvd. driveway. At the top of the driveway look about 25 feet to your left and you'll see a well marked bus stop for the Passport Bus, AKA the Long Beach free shuttle. The steps onto the bus are roughly curb height, so hoisting a bag on is relatively easy to manage.

The second or third stop is right in front of the Queen Mary, which is docked next to the Carnival ship. Since it's all paved, it's very easy to walk luggage over to the ship or the luggage collection area.

Since the shuttle bus is used by many employees of the LB Aquarium, Port of Long Beach, and Queen Mary, nearly anybody who works nearby can direct you back to the shuttle when your cruise is over (if your brain is a bit turned around).

Like I said, it's a 7 day a week free service that Long Beach offers that runs every 10-15 minutes. From the time we cleared customs until we boarded the waiting shuttle, I'd say it was a ten minute walk maximum.

Edited by StarSong

THE UGLY: The decor. It's ugly to the point of being garish and unsettling. If the decorators responsible for appointing this ship weren't high, they certainly missed a golden opportunity because copious use of drugs and alcohol could only have improved this mess.

My real question is what theme was decided AGAINST when opting for the grotesque fright that got the green light? Surely someone must have said, "Oh no, not that theme, Harry. Let's use this one here. Can't you just see it now? An MDR filled with big purple lights and thousands of clusters of brass grapes, public areas displaying paintings of naked children in quasi sexual encounters with angels, other children and non-humans? THIS, my esteemed colleague, THIS is the way we should go!!! Oh, and Harry? The original artworks on the landings of each staircase? Let's not bother to give any info on the artist nor the work displayed. Better to keep those passengers guessing, I always say!"

I LOVE Miracle. She's my favorite ship. Part of the reason is the decor. I found the MDR grapes and leaves quite charming.

There's a ship for everyone.

I understand the issue with the decor. I totally do care about the decor and don't want to cruise on a ship that looks like it was decorated in 1979. I wouldn't want to stay in a hotel that looked like that so I wouldn't want to stay on a ship that looked like that either. It is one of the things that matters to me. To each his own.

Edited by BullDawg91