Carnival Miracle cruise... the good, the bad and plenty of ugly

StarSong

Was on the HI cruise just before yours.

15days onboard and rarely had the same thing twice for lunch. Most want the same thing for breakfast. Dinner buffet is always small bc most are in the MDR. That was on Princess and HAL also.

I think the theme of the Miracle is Literary Characters. Though no one could tell me who some of them were. Lord Jim I barely remember. M Blaise, no idea. At least I knew who Horatio was.

Your beloved RCL doesn't think the West Coast is profitable yet. At least Carnival stuck around in the lean years.

Just off the Carnival Miracle yesterday after a six day cruise to Mexico. Since RCI is our line of choice, these remarks are generally of a comparative nature. (RCI no longer sails the west coast of Mexico, so if we want to sail from our home port of Los Angeles/Long Beach, we must book a different cruise line.)

THE GOOD: Our captain deftly skirted hurricane Vance so the itinerary changed. Puerto Vallarta was dropped, but La Paz was added. What a charming little city! We greatly enjoyed our few hours in that port. Port time was shortened in Cabo, but some things can't be helped when Mother Nature is misbehaving.

The cruise director has a gentle, winsome style that was quite enjoyable. Between his announcements, the captain's updates and frequent written communiqués left in our staterooms, passengers were kept apprised of shifting weather and port challenges. A big thumbs-up for their professionalism and concern for everyone's safety.

The crew: Helpful, efficient and polite, though rarely with a spare moment to engage with the passengers to any degree beyond, "Good Morning!"

Serenity: (21 & over pool area) was a lovely spot to spend a few hours at a time. Comfy chairs, cabanas and even some hammocks for two!

Embark and debark: Very efficient processes; no long lines or confusion.

Pizza: The pizza was quite good and the pizza chef was flexible about customizing pies to the passengers' requests.

Bars: Alcohol prices were quite reasonable at about $8-$9 per drink, especially considering that the bars poured generous double shots in each drink.

THE BAD: The food in general was subpar. Buffets were a major disappointment - incredibly repetitive. Incredibly. As in every day's breakfast being nearly identical to the day before. Made to order omelettes were available, but otherwise the offerings were thoroughly uninspired. Lunch was slightly more varied, but not much. Dinner was the worst of the lot with the fewest stations open during the evening meal(?).

On this ship, "casual" dining apparently equates to "boring, monotonous and ridiculously limited" dining. Healthy options were few and far between. Very few and very far. Even the food at the Chopsticks station generally swam in oil. The perfunctory salad bar was identical every lunch & dinner.

On RCI, the Windjammer Buffet often features the same entrees and sides that are being served in the MDR, so there's no sense of being a second-class passenger when opting to choose the Windjammer. Not so on this Carnival cruise.

Before anyone jumps in to suggest that food is better in the MDR, we did in fact eat in the MDR a few evenings. However, even the MDR food was fair at best. Certainly no meal stands out as memorably delicious or something I'd want to recreate in my own kitchen.

Breakfast and lunch seating in the MDR uses the unappealing system of shuffling passengers to long tables, filling tables by headcounts rather than by the size of the party being seated. (RCI also does this.) It will be a happy day for many when this lowbrow cafeteria practice goes by the boards.

THE UGLY: The decor. It's ugly to the point of being garish and unsettling. If the decorators responsible for appointing this ship weren't high, they certainly missed a golden opportunity because copious use of drugs and alcohol could only have improved this mess.

My real question is what theme was decided AGAINST when opting for the grotesque fright that got the green light? Surely someone must have said, "Oh no, not that theme, Harry. Let's use this one here. Can't you just see it now? An MDR filled with big purple lights and thousands of clusters of brass grapes, public areas displaying paintings of naked children in quasi sexual encounters with angels, other children and non-humans? THIS, my esteemed colleague, THIS is the way we should go!!! Oh, and Harry? The original artworks on the landings of each staircase? Let's not bother to give any info on the artist nor the work displayed. Better to keep those passengers guessing, I always say!"

CONCLUSION: The fact that we were on vacation, had booked this last minute and didn't pay a fortune for our balcony stateroom kept us in good spirits. DH and I always manage to have a good time regardless of annoyances like those listed above - we figure out something to eat that 's nutritious and healthful and relax our cares away. This cruise sometimes made it a challenge to get to that mind-space but we found our way.

That said, ROYAL CARIBBEAN, please, please, please return to the West Coast!!!

Royal is having 2 sailing in Sep. and Oct. 2015 Jewel of the seas

I enjoyed your review and also have cruised RC a bit. Food has gone downhill on all line IMHO. I will be on the Miracle next year....miss the Splendor for Mexican Riviera but excited to try the Miracle. Most importantly thank you so much for the parking info. I've stayed at the Hotel Maya and used that parking benefit, but often just automatically pull into the parking structure. I am going to try this in January as the Hotel Maya is sold out before MLK weekend.

While I have not sailed the miracle, that I can recall, I have sailed many carnival ships. I agree with the op concerning the decor. It goes from weird to hideous. However not to the point that it affects my enjoyment.

I can't agree about the food. I have always found carnival`s food to be just fine, whether in the MDR or the lido. I am a gourmet chef, having studied in New Orleans and the Culinary institute. Carnival does a fine job. However I do agree the breakfast buffet could have some more creative offerings.

I also agree with the op concerning royal Caribbean returning to the west coast. IMHO Royal offers a better experience that Carnival. I am willing to pay more to get what I want.

The bigger question is why in the world would you care that I care?

Personally, I loved your imaginary decor planning conversation. I have often wondered who thought the Farcas decor was a good choice.

I found there to be the same choices for breakfast in the Windjammer each day on Allure, back in April so that comment confused me, but I agree for sure that dinner in Carnival Lido deck buffets could use some work. Generally, we have enjoyed the pizza and the deli a lot if we wanted just a casual dinner. I think there can be a really big difference just between ships on quality of food. The flat iron steak on Paradise when she sailed out of CA was simply awful, but the flat iron out of FL on Ecstasy was excellent. And of course, there is always a difference in people's tastes.

Just so you know if you decide to do Carnival again in the future, you can always request a private table at breakfast or lunch. And the sea day brunch has some really nice choices.

Edited by momof3cruisers

I also wouldn't completely eliminate booking a Farcas ship because of the decor, but it did sometimes put me in mind of having a paper cut... not serious enough to ruin my day or even a particular moment, but the annoyance of it periodically had my full attention. Love the way you describe the overabundance of tacky details. :D

Parking Info: There are two lots with the same owner, both $5.00 per 24 hours. 110 W. Ocean Blvd and 150 W. Ocean Blvd. We used the one at 150. It's a fairly large lot that goes all the way to the next block where there is a second driveway. Address of that entrance is 150 W. Seaside Way.

Occasionally there are large events held in Long Beach (the Long Beach Grand Prix springs immediately to mind), in which case the lots may either be closed or priced differently. The owner (or maybe he's the manager) is named Alex, phone number is 562.951.3868. Double check with him before making your plans if that makes you more comfortable.

After parking and locking your vehicle, go out the Ocean Blvd. driveway. At the top of the driveway look about 25 feet to your left and you'll see a well marked bus stop for the Passport Bus, AKA the Long Beach free shuttle. The steps onto the bus are roughly curb height, so hoisting a bag on is relatively easy to manage.

The second or third stop is right in front of the Queen Mary, which is docked next to the Carnival ship. Since it's all paved, it's very easy to walk luggage over to the ship or the luggage collection area.

Since the shuttle bus is used by many employees of the LB Aquarium, Port of Long Beach, and Queen Mary, nearly anybody who works nearby can direct you back to the shuttle when your cruise is over (if your brain is a bit turned around).

Like I said, it's a 7 day a week free service that Long Beach offers that runs every 10-15 minutes. From the time we cleared customs until we boarded the waiting shuttle, I'd say it was a ten minute walk maximum.

Thanks for the info about parking. We talked to a guy that parked in the parking structure at 1st and Pine.

FYI - From the valley, we take Metrolink and Metro trains down to Long Beach. Metrolink is about $9 and the trains are $1.75 (including transfers for 2 hours). If you take the Metrolink, then the trains are included in the fare. You need to buy a future ticket for the trip back in order to take advantage of the free trains northbound. It takes about 2 hours to get to Long Beach from the west end of the valley. Only problem, is it goes thru some of the bad areas. We only do this when we only have a 22" suitcase and 1 tote each. Also, not all stations will allow overnight parking.

One more thing.... if you're driving to the port of Long Beach, we researched and used a parking lot that's $5.00 per day. Yeah, you read that right. It's $17.00 or more per day to park at the port itself, but about 3 miles away and a five minute ride on the free Long Beach City sponsored shuttle (that runs every ten minutes) there is a well lit parking lot priced at $5.00 per 24 hour period.

I can look up the info and post it if anyone is interested.

I would love this info!

REALLY... DH and I were on the Miracle last year....and didn't even notice the decor ............ WHO CARES????

Most people DO notice, even the ones that claim not to. If nobody noticed the decor, cruise lines wouldn't spend millions and millions of dollars in it. Some cruise lines even invest in multi-million dollar artwork, furniture, and renowned designers. Why? Because people notice. Some care more than others, even to the point of choosing a cruise ship based on their interiors.

When I go on vacation, I want ALL of my senses to be on vacation. And that includes my vision. I want to look at something that is pleasing. Would tacky decor ruin my cruise? No. But I will notice it.

Edited by Tapi

Most people DO notice, even the ones that claim not to. If nobody noticed the decor, cruise lines wouldn't spend millions and millions of dollars in it. Some cruise lines even invest in multi-million dollar artwork, furniture, and renowned designers. Why? Because people notice. Some care more than others, even to the point of choosing a cruise ship based on their interiors. I can tell you that there are some ships in the Carnival fleet that I don't ever want to set foot on exactly because of the hideous decor.

When I go on vacation, I want ALL of my senses to be on vacation. And that includes my vision. I want to look at something that is pleasing. Would tacky decor ruin my cruise? No. But I will notice it.

Well said, Tapi.

Most people DO notice, even the ones that claim not to. If nobody noticed the decor, cruise lines wouldn't spend millions and millions of dollars in it. Some cruise lines even invest in multi-million dollar artwork, furniture, and renowned designers. Why? Because people notice. Some care more than others, even to the point of choosing a cruise ship based on their interiors.

On our first Carnival cruise we got a booth in the MDR. I had never seen a booth in an MDR before but it wasn't just that it was a booth. The design was dineresque. While food was good, it just gave it a cheap feel. We still had a great time and I'm sure that dining room has been made over since but it's just an example of how decor can have an effect.

"Notice" meaning to see it in passing -Yes

Take note of is so that is really affects me-NO

Walking through the ship I can look at the decor and say

Oh "Look at that" but do I stop and say I love it or I hate it, --I am too busy having a good time on my cruise to be affected by the decoration of the ship.

IMHO the OP post was fair and balanced. I have to agree with the OP and Tapi's statements regarding the decor. We are Platinum on Carnival and have sailed the Miracle twice and have booked future cruises on her. If RCL sailed this itinerary it would be highly likely that we would chose RCL because on balance it has more of the things that are important to us and price is not a primary factor for us.

The things we like least about the Miracle are: 1. the Lido food lack of variety and quality plus the layout of food stations. We do go to the MDR but only 1-2 times because my hubby can't sit for long periods (we do let the wait staff know fast service is needed and why). 2. The decor isn't a deal breaker but for us it does distract from our overall enjoyment. 3. Type/quality of entertainment choices.

The things we like about the Miracle are 1. some of the perks -same for RCL where we are Diamond. 2. Larger cabins generally and good beds but other furniture not as good. 3. Great pizza. 4. More casual dress and sometimes we prefer this.

Edited by qsuzi

My family and I were on the same cruise, it was our second time with Carnival, the first was on the Paradise.

I was very impressed with how the Hurricane Vance situation was handled, although we were dissapointed to miss PV and would have loved more than a few hours in Cabo. These things can't be helped though and definitely appreciate our safety being the number one priority.

Both my DW and I were unimpressed with the overall food quality on this cruise. I'm generally easy to please when it comes to food, usually quantity can make up for a lack of quality, but even I was left feeling dissapointed. We both remember the quality being much better on the Paradise.

Our only real gripe was the Serenity area. We had been looking forward to having some time there all week but didn't make it until the last day at sea. The pool was green and murky, you couldn't even see the 4 ft. bottom, and zero chairs or lounges were available. Had all those chairs been holding people then I wouldn't be upset, after all, we didn't get there until around noon. But a third of them were only holding towels. After walking around for a few minutes, I asked one of the servers if the "40 minute towel camping" rule that they have posted at the towel desk was being enforced. It wasn't, and he had no desire to help out. At this point, a lady on a hammock said that the three chairs next to her weren't being used, just saved for when her family returned in a hour or so. She offered two of them to us with the understanding that when her family returned, we would have to give them back. They never did during the two hours we spent there. We kept an occasional eye on the other held chairs during that time and never saw anyone using them either. Unfortunately, the three or four couples we saw also looking for a place to sit never got one.

Obviously Carnival can't be responsible for people's general stupidity and rudeness. It would however, be nice if they would enforce their 40 minute chair holding policy they have posted.

I too thank OP for her review. Her review is one that I hold in high regard. It was not on the was constant complaints nor was it one that was cheerleading for Carnival. Just her opinion of the cruise. Thanks again.

I have some comments regarding Carnival Cruise lines food. Last year we did cruises in July, September and November. (Miracle, Magic, Conquest). By far the Miracle had the best food. And the Magic was just awful. Really awful. Fast forward to this year. April and Sept (Miracle, Magic). We almost didn't cruise this September because of schedule conflict but it worked out at the last minute and since Galveston is our home port and we got a fairly good deal on the Magic we booked.

This year the food on the Magic was outstanding. We ate 5 of 7 nights in the dining room. I don't understand how 5 cruises in 14 months with the same menus and the food could vary so much.