Carnival Miracle cruise... the good, the bad and plenty of ugly

StarSong

Just off the Carnival Miracle yesterday after a six day cruise to Mexico. Since RCI is our line of choice, these remarks are generally of a comparative nature. (RCI no longer sails the west coast of Mexico, so if we want to sail from our home port of Los Angeles/Long Beach, we must book a different cruise line.)

THE GOOD: Our captain deftly skirted hurricane Vance so the itinerary changed. Puerto Vallarta was dropped, but La Paz was added. What a charming little city! We greatly enjoyed our few hours in that port. Port time was shortened in Cabo, but some things can't be helped when Mother Nature is misbehaving.

The cruise director has a gentle, winsome style that was quite enjoyable. Between his announcements, the captain's updates and frequent written communiqués left in our staterooms, passengers were kept apprised of shifting weather and port challenges. A big thumbs-up for their professionalism and concern for everyone's safety.

The crew: Helpful, efficient and polite, though rarely with a spare moment to engage with the passengers to any degree beyond, "Good Morning!"

Serenity: (21 & over pool area) was a lovely spot to spend a few hours at a time. Comfy chairs, cabanas and even some hammocks for two!

Embark and debark: Very efficient processes; no long lines or confusion.

Pizza: The pizza was quite good and the pizza chef was flexible about customizing pies to the passengers' requests.

Bars: Alcohol prices were quite reasonable at about $8-$9 per drink, especially considering that the bars poured generous double shots in each drink.

THE BAD: The food in general was subpar. Buffets were a major disappointment - incredibly repetitive. Incredibly. As in every day's breakfast being nearly identical to the day before. Made to order omelettes were available, but otherwise the offerings were thoroughly uninspired. Lunch was slightly more varied, but not much. Dinner was the worst of the lot with the fewest stations open during the evening meal(?).

On this ship, "casual" dining apparently equates to "boring, monotonous and ridiculously limited" dining. Healthy options were few and far between. Very few and very far. Even the food at the Chopsticks station generally swam in oil. The perfunctory salad bar was identical every lunch & dinner.

On RCI, the Windjammer Buffet often features the same entrees and sides that are being served in the MDR, so there's no sense of being a second-class passenger when opting to choose the Windjammer. Not so on this Carnival cruise.

Before anyone jumps in to suggest that food is better in the MDR, we did in fact eat in the MDR a few evenings. However, even the MDR food was fair at best. Certainly no meal stands out as memorably delicious or something I'd want to recreate in my own kitchen.

Breakfast and lunch seating in the MDR uses the unappealing system of shuffling passengers to long tables, filling tables by headcounts rather than by the size of the party being seated. (RCI also does this.) It will be a happy day for many when this lowbrow cafeteria practice goes by the boards.

THE UGLY: The decor. It's ugly to the point of being garish and unsettling. If the decorators responsible for appointing this ship weren't high, they certainly missed a golden opportunity because copious use of drugs and alcohol could only have improved this mess.

My real question is what theme was decided AGAINST when opting for the grotesque fright that got the green light? Surely someone must have said, "Oh no, not that theme, Harry. Let's use this one here. Can't you just see it now? An MDR filled with big purple lights and thousands of clusters of brass grapes, public areas displaying paintings of naked children in quasi sexual encounters with angels, other children and non-humans? THIS, my esteemed colleague, THIS is the way we should go!!! Oh, and Harry? The original artworks on the landings of each staircase? Let's not bother to give any info on the artist nor the work displayed. Better to keep those passengers guessing, I always say!"

CONCLUSION: The fact that we were on vacation, had booked this last minute and didn't pay a fortune for our balcony stateroom kept us in good spirits. DH and I always manage to have a good time regardless of annoyances like those listed above - we figure out something to eat that 's nutritious and healthful and relax our cares away. This cruise sometimes made it a challenge to get to that mind-space but we found our way.

That said, ROYAL CARIBBEAN, please, please, please return to the West Coast!!!

I was on the same trip... and it seems some people will just want to find a reason to complain when they are trying to compare with something they are used to.

I thought the food in the MDR was better for Dinner and that is why I decided to dine there in the evenings. As far as breakfast is concerened... Well, maybe you did not take part in the seaday brunch in the MDR. We should have had 3, but due to the late change in itinerary, we only got 2 seaday brunch days.

Either way, I had a great time. I don't go on a vacation to critic the decor so I really paid no attention to all that you feel is "bad". Just remember what you felt was bad was just a personal preferance. Maybe some people like the decor. I didn't have any feelings towards it either way.

Anyhow, I hope you have yourself a great trip on whatever line you chose as your next sailing.

The ship is another of Joe Farcus' designs. I have heard and read many remarks about how he must have been tripping while designing some of these ships, but I am in the minority who find those ships colorful, fun and sometimes amusing to look for the detail in said design. I have not been on the Miracle, but would not hesitate to book her regardless of the grapes etc. I am however and old hippy:D, so he and I might have something in common hence my appreciation of his ships décor designs.:)

Thanks for your review, and I appreciate all comments, both positive and not so much. thanks for sharing your opinion.

Edited by SMSACE6

I was on the same trip... and it seems some people will just want to find a reason to complain when they are trying to compare with something they are used to.

I thought the food in the MDR was better for Dinner and that is why I decided to dine there in the evenings. As far as breakfast is concerened... Well, maybe you did not take part in the seaday brunch in the MDR. We should have had 3, but due to the late change in itinerary, we only got 2 seaday brunch days.

Either way, I had a great time. I don't go on a vacation to critic the decor so I really paid no attention to all that you feel is "bad". Just remember what you felt was bad was just a personal preferance. Maybe some people like the decor. I didn't have any feelings towards it either way.

Anyhow, I hope you have yourself a great trip on whatever line you chose as your next sailing.

I DID have a good time and said that toward the end of my posting. Cruise Critic asks for reviews of recent cruises, I have benefited enormously over the years by other posters' evaluations, so I decided to review this cruise in the hopes that someone else may find it helpful.

I wasn't looking for a reason to complain, but rather to give my opinion of what was good and what wasn't on this ship and stated in the second sentence that this would be a comparative analysis.

That's what a review is about, correct? Personal opinion from one's own perspective. Decor may not be important to you. It is to me. Personal preference.

I DID have a good time and said that toward the end of my posting. Cruise Critic asks for reviews of recent cruises, I have benefited enormously over the years by other posters' evaluations, so I decided to review this cruise in the hopes that someone else may find it helpful.

I wasn't looking for a reason to complain, but rather to give my opinion of what was good and what wasn't on this ship and stated in the second sentence that this would be a comparative analysis.

That's what a review is about, correct? Personal opinion from one's own perspective. Decor may not be important to you. It is to me. Personal preference.

3,000 unique passengers onboard equates to 3,000 unique experiences. Tastes are subjective.

Edited by Disconnections

Thanks for the comparison, I do like to read these views since I never sailed RCI. Maybe it's the "guy" in me, but I really don't notice much in regards to themes and decorations. Doesn't matter much to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We also have enjoyed Royal Caribbean and agree that their buffet choices, especially for dinner, are much better than those on Carnival!

We find that some days the MDR for dinner has interesting choices and other days they are not as delightful but since I really enjoy the Indian food offered every night , I choose that when the MDR menus don't turn me on!

I am a little surprised at your breakfast in the MDR experience. We always ask for a table for 2 and have always been seated in just that way. NO big table filled with strangers for us!

Other than that, I know everyone's taste buds are different so that food that seems great to me would not necessarily be great for you!

I don't care at all about decor as for me that doesn't affect my cruise enjoyment at all!!

IF RC were back here going to Mexico we'd probably go on those ships too but for now we are quite happy with the Miracle!

Did you see the comedy shows? Co you know who the comedians were? We go on the 15th. Thanks

Comedians are fly-on operating participants and can and do change week to week and even during the same cruise. The brand ambassador can assist you with information about the comedians for a specific cruise when close to the date of embarkation.

Edited by Disconnections

Comedians are fly-on operating participants and can and do change week to week and even during the same cruise. The brand ambassador can assist you with information about the comedians for a specific cruise when close to the date of embarkation.

Thank you, I am well aware after 27 Carnival Cruises...Comedians often tend to do the same ship. I have seen some on the 3 & 4 days more than I can count. Was hoping to see who was doing the Miracle lately.

The comedy show in the Mad Hatter Theater (if I'm remembering the name of the venue correctly) was quite funny. The comedian's name was "Big Daddy" and probably the most amusing part of his show was his handling of drunken hecklers. He's quick witted and laugh out loud funny. We very much enjoyed his adult rated show.

There was also a Mexican juggler/comedian that performed one night. Again, very funny - and his act was PG rather than adult. A talented juggler and a gently funny comedian rolled into one.

Speaking of entertainment, there was a very good solo artist named Andy on board. He performed a wide range of covers as well as his own music. We spoke with him for a bit and he's contracted to be on Miracle for several months. He's extremely pleasant in addition to being quite talented. Sometimes he paired up with a saxophone player, but solo or with the sax he was well worth finding when he was scheduled to perform. Since he's the kind of guy who's always smiling the crowd stayed very engaged with him.

Hope this helps.

We've sailed Miracle twice and have always joked about how she has the ugliest dining room afloat. DH describes it as "bubonic plague at sea," It's jarring, especially when you compare her to sisters Legend and Pride which both have very elegant dining rooms. However, there are other spaces on Miracle that I really enjoy - I love the old-time pictures on decks 2 and 3, most of which are early 20th century New York.

In 20 Carnival cruises, we've had dinner at the Lido buffet exactly once. Last year, between daytime and night excursions in St. Petersburg when we didn't have time for the MDR. It was fine for "grabbing a bite to eat," but that was it. We stick with the MDR or the steakhouse.

StarSong, thanks for sharing your review. I appreciate hearing what folks who sail other lines think.

I love Carnival.. it's awesome.. I'm a huge fan. But even I have to agree with OP... the Miracle decor is beyond tacky. A Vegas strip club has classier decor. Love ya Carnival, but take the glitz down a notch. If it really bothers you, spend more time on the lido.

Edited by lido deck larry

Very much appreciate your time to do this comparison! You might consider posting it on Royal Caribbean forum here on CC as well.

Hint: Princess does some West Coast sailings which very will might suit you better than Carnival. ;)

LuLu

One more thing.... if you're driving to the port of Long Beach, we researched and used a parking lot that's $5.00 per day. Yeah, you read that right. It's $17.00 or more per day to park at the port itself, but about 3 miles away and a five minute ride on the free Long Beach City sponsored shuttle (that runs every ten minutes) there is a well lit parking lot priced at $5.00 per 24 hour period.

I can look up the info and post it if anyone is interested.

Edited by StarSong

I agree 100% about the ugly, gaudy, repetitive decorationg of the Farcas decorated ships. I honestly think that 3rd graders could have done a better job. Farcas never changed with the times. I would compare the Farcas design to a 1970's kitchen with harvest gold or avocado green appliances, big ass flowery wallpaper and all the jim-cracks and thinga-ma-bobs that you can find to match that wallpaper, fake brick back-splashes and plaid indoor-outdoor carpeting.. Just too much and over the top.....way over the top.

That being said, on the Farcas desiged ships that I have sailed, it has not kept me from having a good time. I did find myself commenting about the awful decor though. On the other hand the decor of the Breeze is so fresh and upbeat that it made for a more upbeat atmosphere. After cruising on other lines that do not have that dark, dreary, old Victorian look, I probably won't cruise on another of Carnivals older ships.

I agree 100% about the ugly, gaudy, repetitive decorationg of the Farcas decorated ships. I honestly think that 3rd graders could have done a better job. Farcas never changed with the times. I would compare the Farcas design to a 1970's kitchen with harvest gold or avocado green appliances, big ass flowery wallpaper and all the jim-cracks and thinga-ma-bobs that you can find to match that wallpaper, fake brick back-splashes and plaid indoor-outdoor carpeting.. Just too much and over the top.....way over the top.

That being said, on the Farcas desiged ships that I have sailed, it has not kept me from having a good time. I did find myself commenting about the awful decor though. On the other hand the decor of the Breeze is so fresh and upbeat that it made for a more upbeat atmosphere. After cruising on other lines that do not have that dark, dreary, old Victorian look, I probably won't cruise on another of Carnivals older ships.

I also wouldn't completely eliminate booking a Farcas ship because of the decor, but it did sometimes put me in mind of having a paper cut... not serious enough to ruin my day or even a particular moment, but the annoyance of it periodically had my full attention. Love the way you describe the overabundance of tacky details. :D

Parking Info: There are two lots with the same owner, both $5.00 per 24 hours. 110 W. Ocean Blvd and 150 W. Ocean Blvd. We used the one at 150. It's a fairly large lot that goes all the way to the next block where there is a second driveway. Address of that entrance is 150 W. Seaside Way.

Occasionally there are large events held in Long Beach (the Long Beach Grand Prix springs immediately to mind), in which case the lots may either be closed or priced differently. The owner (or maybe he's the manager) is named Alex, phone number is 562.951.3868. Double check with him before making your plans if that makes you more comfortable.

After parking and locking your vehicle, go out the Ocean Blvd. driveway. At the top of the driveway look about 25 feet to your left and you'll see a well marked bus stop for the Passport Bus, AKA the Long Beach free shuttle. The steps onto the bus are roughly curb height, so hoisting a bag on is relatively easy to manage.

The second or third stop is right in front of the Queen Mary, which is docked next to the Carnival ship. Since it's all paved, it's very easy to walk luggage over to the ship or the luggage collection area.

Since the shuttle bus is used by many employees of the LB Aquarium, Port of Long Beach, and Queen Mary, nearly anybody who works nearby can direct you back to the shuttle when your cruise is over (if your brain is a bit turned around).

Like I said, it's a 7 day a week free service that Long Beach offers that runs every 10-15 minutes. From the time we cleared customs until we boarded the waiting shuttle, I'd say it was a ten minute walk maximum.