White Bay Why Couldn't a Ferry be Chartered permanently

Although I totally agree that there should be a ferry to White Bay from the city I can also understand why "at the moment" there isn't one. Money is obviously one reason, perhaps after the OPT renovations are complete there may be some available and I guess we are all being a little selfish here in saying it would be nice for someone going on a cruise to be able to jump on a ferry at Circular Quay to go to White Bay and yes cruising is a growing business but there are still a lot more "voters" that do not cruise so the "pollies" would be taking that into account I guess. Locals could use it I suppose but they would still be a good distance from any residences given the way the roads and perimeter fences are located.

Access is also a problem as I have said before, with the privately owned /operated marina on the eastern boundary and all the waterfront land west being "a secure zone" and once you get past the two "big ship" berths you are getting a little bit too far away from the terminal for a ferry wharf without having to provide some sort of extra transport for people to get to the terminal.(more money) Seeing that Carnival ships constitute probably ninety percent of White Bays cruise ship activity maybe they should kick the can a little ( or a lot) to help make this happen.

Having said all that, NEVER SAY NEVER it may happen one day once they resolve some "issues" and casual conversations I have had with "certain people" would indicate it is not impossible.

Just getting this thread back on track, one other "problem" which could raise its head is the type of ferry they have to use. After watching guests WITHOUT luggage getting off the ferries at the OPT during the White Bay check in turnarounds there could be both space problems on the ferries when they have all their luggage and also getting on and off the ferry could also be a problem. The smaller "rocket" ferries would be quicker and more manouverable but would provide less room and more basic access whereas the bigger ferries would be better but because they are bigger would need to be filled and would mean a much longer turnaround time between trips. Also the cost of pontoons etc would need to be factored in and if the ticket price were too high patronage of the service would not be sufficient to make it viable but these problems are for whoever supplies the service to solve I guess.