Most Quantum room service NOT complimentary

I love how people seem to think this is "wrong" or a "mistake" by Royal. Really? You think they just wing it? They know what the market will and won't bear, and they've determined that this is a no-brainer. Seriously, cruising in NOT all-inclusive. And as unconscionable as it seems to some of you- Royal is actually in this business to make money.

Really? It's a travesty that you have to pay a MODEST fee to have someone bring food to your room rather than having to take a five minute walk to get it for free? Of all the things to complain about.... This is kind of absurd when you look at the big picture....

Sounds like you must work for RCCL!

Who wants to eat in their room when there are loads of free places to eat and be served anyway?

Have never ordered room service on a ship.

Get out and enjoy yourself.

We like to order room service sometimes. It's nice to sit on the balcony and enjoy breakfast. If I don't want to get presentable for the public yet, but want to eat early then I can do so. Maybe you have an inside cabin? For us with a balcony it can be very relaxing to be eating outside watching as the ocean goes by. We don't have to walk in circles looking for a seat if we go at peak times. It is one of the nice things about room service. Granted, I will never pay for room service and I hope a lot of people complain so that they do away with it.

I know others enjoy room service also. It's not just balcony people. Different people enjoy room service for different reasons. Just because you have never ordered it, doesn't mean you wouldn't like it. Try it sometime and you just might be surprised. :D

People have differing opinions and obviously you don't agree with the OP's opinion as well as many others here. That's life! So stop moaning about it!

Exactly! They say we are moaning by expressing our opinion, but yet they do the same thing. They don't think it is moaning because they are doing it. They probably think they are above the rest of us also!

Edited by ReneeFLL

Haha I am probably the only one that isn't moaning.

How many times do you need to eat ?

The fact you have to actually walk to get some free food might do some of you some actual good.

Don't bypass the salad bar 😉

Lame, just lame.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to drag this thread back up.....but rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd ask the question here.

Is the Quantum class ships still charging for hot items on room service? My wife and I are sailing on Ovation's Inaugural cruise and then the 5-nighter straight after, so I'm interested to know.

Whatever anyone tells you about Anthem and Quantum currently, may not apply to Ovation. Plus, on an inaugural all kinds of usual things could be changed. For now, assume that things will be the same as Anthem when it came out last year, but be prepared for things to be different once on board.

Whatever anyone tells you about Anthem and Quantum currently, may not apply to Ovation. Plus, on an inaugural all kinds of usual things could be changed. For now, assume that things will be the same as Anthem when it came out last year, but be prepared for things to be different once on board.

Agreed....they usually change things up for inaugural sailings. Also I have always said....the most consistent thing with Royal seems to be is their inconsistency .... what happens on one ship can be quite different than another.

• 1 year later...
The business model is a la carte. It has been for years. I'm not sure why this still surprises people so much or solicits such indignant responses. RCI is going to cloak it under the cover of providing passengers with more "choices," which is true to some degree.
We've been talking about the RCI room service charge on the Carnival forum. There are a few comments about hoping it doesn't happen there, and also a few comments about hoping it does, in concert with a room service menu that resembles RCI's more.

I love how people seem to think this is "wrong" or a "mistake" by Royal. Really? You think they just wing it? They know what the market will and won't bear, and they've determined that this is a no-brainer. Seriously, cruising in NOT all-inclusive. And as unconscionable as it seems to some of you- Royal is actually in this business to make money.
Good points.

You don't like this change? I can see that. I can agree with it. Thumbs up. You're disappointed? That's understandable. I'm sorry that this happened. You think the cruise line is wrong or that they don't know what they're doing? That makes no sense.

To be fair, frustration and upset tend to foster ill-advised comments, so perhaps that's the best way of comprehending when people try to second-guess what the cruise line did.

Maybe the C stands for Chintzy instead of Caribbean now.
Hmmm...

Holland AmeriCa

Carnival

NCL

Celebrity

PrinCess

The point is, if we keep accepting it, where will it end?
The logical conclusion is a vacation within which you pay solely for what you do, you pay solely for what you use, you pay solely for what you eat, you pay solely for what you drink, you pay solely for what you get, etc. It wouldn't necessarily be my choice, but it wouldn't be terrible to no longer have to subsidize other guests' excesses that raise my costs, so that would mitigate the downside of other guests no longer subsidizing my excesses.

You sound like the perfect customer. :D
No smiley necessary. Anyone who thinks that service providers don't measure the quality of customers by how much they're willing to purchase what is offered at a premium needs to spend a little more time coming to understand what it is they're buying and who it is they're doing business with.

I agree with this poster. When cruise lines make changes that cost us more, we have the right to complain in public forums. We all know they are in business to make money, but we have the right to disagree with what they do. Yet when we do, there is always someone who isn't content to just disagree, but also must tell the OP to shut up and stop criticizing their favorite and sacred cruise line.
I say complain away! Just don't confuse your disappointment, which they caused and is their fault (if you wish to express it in those terms) with them actually doing anything wrong or making a mistake. There's a difference.

Room service allows you to be in your stateroom, not having to dress up to go to the buffet to eat.
I never dressed up to go to the buffet. In the morning I'd just throw on some shorts and a t-shirt. Is this something new?

Charges are getting out of control.
Everywhere. We're cruising again after eight years because of how much more expensive our land-based resort vacations were getting. Edited by bUU

Cruise ships use to offer an experience not found on land.
No more so than land resorts used to offer an experience not found on the sea.

The lure of a cruise for me use to be the all inclusive experience, but more sophisticated feel. Now they are taking away the AI, and going down the Golden Coral feel.
Except they may not be. They're differentiating the offerings of different brands in their portfolio. Someone in a related thread said that Celebrity offers a better room service menu and one without a charge. I'm not sure, but regardless, they do offer Azamara. I bet Azamara is offering what you remember RCL offering in the past, or better. And on the Carnival side, they've got Cunard. And then there are the others that are entering the market specifically to serve that part of the market that you seem to want to cruise in, like Regent Seven Seas, Crystal, Oceania, Viking, Silversea, and Seaborne. They're deliberately skimming off that upper crust of the market, leaving the mass market passengers for the more massive boats and more massive fleets.

There needs to be a happy medium, leave traditional dining in place for those interested and DD for others.
Try to satisfy everyone and you satisfy no one. It is far better to have different products for different needs, if you can.

What I hear is that there seem to be a multitude of fees throughout the ship. If that is so, why are the prices so expensive.
If you want to see expensive, follow this link: http://www.silversea.com/destinations/central-america-caribbean-cruise/ That makes RCI look like a bargain.

If you pay for drinks its not all inclusive is it ?
That's like saying that if you pay for pants and shirts its not all inclusive. You can take a cruise, get on the ship, enjoy a week, and get off the ship, without paying anything more than your fare and the crew gratuities. There's someone who made a point of this in a thread yesterday, complaining that he had to set up an on-board account even though he regularly takes cruises and incurs no charges for drinks, extra or special food, spa services, gifts, etc.

Sounds like you must work for RCCL!
Or maybe leisuretraveler223 is just telling it like it is. There is no call for casual intolerance for perspectives different from your own. Disagree, if you wish, but don't try to undermine what another poster expressed with a baseless accusation of bias.

Like what? Pancakes were never offered before. Nor were any of the new offerings from michaels pub. Again those who have ACTUALLY eaten the new food have pointed out it is NOT the same food

Old system- Hamburger and fries - complimentary.

New system- Hamburger and fries (Now called a Royal Burger) $7.95

Something changed here.... Spot the difference?