Most Quantum room service NOT complimentary

Translation: I was lucky enough to be on the maiden transatlantic voyage of one of the most anticipated ships in years. It's innovative, it's beautiful, and I was there! Now that I'm home, all I can think to do is run to the computer and complain about not getting free eggs in my room!

I think you are way off base here. I appreciate the information passed on by the OP.

Charging a la cart for eggs and hamburger on a RS menu is disgraceful. Bad move RCI.

The first time someone pays Royal can say it is working though :rolleyes:

If this goes fleet wide, this could be a deal breaker for us.

I agree. After many years of not sailing RCCL because of a BAD experience in 2008, we finally sailed the Jewel in Sept and found a renewed interest in RCCL's product for some of their ships (still not a fan of mega ships and will NEVER be on one). However, if this goes fleet wide I will not even look at them as an option for future cruises.

Wrong translation, but thanks for trying! Just assumed loyal cruisers would be interested in the changes.

Thank you for posting the changes.

Honestly, I'd prefer less innovation (ifly, northstar, bumper cars) and keeping as many food venues free as possible.

It's going to really hurt the crew, because if they add the gratuity to the "fee" items, some people won't tip extra since they think it's included.

On Century, our cabin steward delivered our room service. Never seen that before. But I think he liked getting the extra money.

Edited by knittinggirl

Translation: I was lucky enough to be on the maiden transatlantic voyage of one of the most anticipated ships in years. It's innovative, it's beautiful, and I was there! Now that I'm home, all I can think to do is run to the computer and complain about not getting free eggs in my room!

Always someone with a negative response. The OP merely reported the change to CC members. Thanks to the OP for the info.

Apparently the responder knows what all someone else is thinking about. Ok. Then would it be fair to say that all they can think about is criticizing someone else's post?

I love Royal, but to pretend there haven't been negative changes in recent years, for me, would be delusional.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Luck has nothing to do with it.... it's about dropping a shedload of "green", and having expectations based on that. If room service has always been there as part of this initial charge, then - yes - people have every right to expect it to remain. I am tired of being called "lucky" because I have, or can afford to have X Y or Z.... I am NOT lucky. I work darned hard for every dime and am quite p*ssed off that people think complaints are not valid just because there are people in the world who would be grateful even for A B or C.

rant over.

Luck has nothing to do with it.... it's about dropping a shedload of "green", and having expectations based on that. If room service has always been there as part of this initial charge, then - yes - people have every right to expect it to remain. I am tired of being called "lucky" because I have, or can afford to have X Y or Z.... I am NOT lucky. I work darned hard for every dime and am quite p*ssed off that people think complaints are not valid just because there are people in the world who would be grateful even for A B or C.

rant over.

I agree, but don't get upset. Not worth losing energy over internet posters. It's a losing battle!

Thanks for the info Royal Diamond.To leisuretraveler223,Royal Caribbean has plenty Lawyer's they don't need a free one.:) :rolleyes:

We just completed the Quantum transatlantic. One thing we immediately noticed was the room service menu. The breakfast menu had PRICES on it. (the door tag that you hang). The only complimentary items were the "continental" items and pastries. If you want eggs, it'll cost you. Also, during lunch/dinner, the only comp items were basically "wraps." Burgers and other items that used to be comp are now available for about $5. Those prices are in effect all day, not just after midnight!

Peter

I wonder if that's true for ships like Oasis and others -- it's a shame. I do have to say though I quit ordering eggs and bacon from room service a while back -- no taste and tepid at best most of the time. That's not how I like my eggs -- they can have it!

We never ordered lunch or dinner but it appears that they are becoming non-inclusive more and more -- maybe time to try other cruise lines or land based vacations. :(

Gail

I thank the OP for the heads up. Breakfast on our balcony is one of the top reasons we love cruising. Everyone has their ahhhs, and not dealing with the buffet or MDR in the morning and enjoying the beauty of the ocean as we dine is ours. If breakfast room service becomes a item that we have to pay extra for, we will NOT cruise with that cruise line. Period.

If they add a gratuity, it IS included.

I was talking about the cash we hand over when our room service is delivered. Personally, I'm not sure the actual room service steward gets that 15% automatic gratuity. But cash in their pockets is something they can keep. We mentioned this to our waiter in Chops when DH handed him a couple of dollars, and he didn't disagree w/ us.

Edited by knittinggirl

If they add a gratuity, it IS included.

But that gratuity will only be added for the items that cost extra, which could easily be just a small portion of the order. So a person might see "gratuity", and feel they don't have to pay what they might have otherwise, which might have been more.

I was talking about the cash we hand over when our room service is delivered. Personally, I'm not sure the actual room service steward gets that 15% automatic gratuity. But cash in their pockets is something they can keep.

But that gratuity will only be added for the items that cost extra, which could easily be just a small portion of the order. So a person might see "gratuity", and feel they don't have to pay what they might have otherwise, which might have been more.

Most people here recommend $1-2 for room service deliveries. That's going to be added on automatically if you order 2 burgers.

I wouldn't feel obligated to tip more if tip is added on, regardless of what I usually tip. Whether or not the server gets the 15% auto grat is not my problem. (and I do wonder if the company is keeping it to distribute [or not] as they see fit)

This onboard tipping/item charging is out of hand, on Quantum, at least, for now...

Edited by marci22

I have only ordered one breakfast from Room Service on a RCI cruise, due to an early shore excursion, and it was a horrible experience, with the waiter calling me and waking me and asking if it was all right to deliver the breakfast early, cold scrambled eggs served in the form of an ice-cream-scoop and some warm orange juice.

That said, I will note that the door hanger provided on Quantum is only for the complementary breakfast items and does not include for-fee food items.

'Made To Order' Orange Juice for $4 and various 'Bubbles and Bloodies' are included on the back side of the small card.

Specialty items must be ordered by phone or stateroom TV or on Royal IQ and are really delivered 'Made To Order'

I think for some of us, ordering a fresh breakfast that is delivered when expected might be worth the $3.95 per item fee, if it is delivered in a timely manner after ordering and is of a little superior quality.

I met several couples that informed me they had enjoyed 'cabin days' on the TA and really liked the $4.95 per item 'Michael Schwartz's Favorites, ribs, pork sliders and chicken wings.

That said, one of the couples did say, they had previously done the same with free of charge hamburgers that were excellent on Oasis.

Wrong translation, but thanks for trying! Just assumed loyal cruisers would be interested in the changes.

Very interested. Don't let the trolls get to you. While I generally don't get room service it is nice to be able to stick the sign out the night before an early morning excursion and wake up to eggs and then go right to the excursion....guess I'll just have to drag my butt up to the WJ now

The business model is a la carte. It has been for years. I'm not sure why this still surprises people so much or solicits such indignant responses.

RCI is going to cloak it under the cover of providing passengers with more "choices," which is true to some degree.

The business model is a la carte. It has been for years. I'm not sure why this still surprises people so much or solicits such indignant responses.

RCI is going to cloak it under the cover of providing passengers with more "choices," which is true to some degree.

I'm not sure why you are saying that room service is a la carte and has been for years. I have never heard of paying for ANYTHING delivered to my room from the room service menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure why you are saying that room service is a la carte and has been for years. I have never heard of paying for ANYTHING delivered to my room from the room service menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You misread my comment.

Beyond that, I'm pretty sure there's been a room service surcharge for late night ordering for awhile.