Most Quantum room service NOT complimentary

I enjoy having room service once in awhile in my cabin. I'll miss it, but will probably just go to the WJ and fix a plate and bring it to my cabin or pay the couple of dollars. It really doesn't surprise me though. NCL doesn't even have hot items on there breakfast menu.

That's What Royal wants. People to cave and just pay a couple bucks. Soon nothing will be included. $1 per plate in the Windjammer. Sorrento will have a topping charge. You won't be able to get ice cream of any type without paying. They count on people just caving in

Sorry to hear that. Wonder how long it takes this policy to spread to other ships.

It won't take long. Celebrity is also moving in this direction but they still had a good selection of complimentary items on my last cruise. I think the days of conplimentary room service is coming to an end.

Edited by cruisingator2

I've never had hot breakfast items ever arrive hot and I'm not sure about the juggling involved to have breakfast on the balcony step stool (or table) ... but to each his/her own. I definitely would be more picky about the quality received, however, with an associated cost.

We are loyal Royals and will be Diamond plus after our Quantum cruise. Charging for room service was a poor decision for passengers. We always pay extra to get a balcony cabin so we can have room service for breakfast and not have to fight to get a table in WJ. They had us paying for room service from midnight to 6 am- ok - understandable. But, to charge for regular use for breakfast is taking advantage. Likewise, if someone is really paying big prices for a suite, certainly room service should be included. This could be a deal breaker for us - fine pay extra for a specialty restaurant THAT is a choice. But this surely is a big take away.

Just because other lines do it, like NCL, doesn't mean Royal should. There are reasons I've consistently chosen Royal over other lines and if they continue to devalue my experience with changes like this one, the reasons become less and less clear. I agree that the complacency of their passengers is the reason why more and more of these "little" charges appear. Now Johnny Rockets is Ala carte, same with room service. Where will it end? If everyone just caves and pays it, it won't end. If we don't all voice our displeasure, cruising, which was already not all-inclusive, will be even LESS inclusive.

Edited by yj2cute

I've never had hot breakfast items ever arrive hot and I'm not sure about the juggling involved to have breakfast on the balcony step stool (or table) ... but to each his/her own. I definitely would be more picky about the quality received, however, with an associated cost.

As well as the accuracy of the order. I often am missing things, or the wrong things are delivered. No big deal if it's free, but if I am paying it had better be correct.

I love how people seem to think this is "wrong" or a "mistake" by Royal. Really? You think they just wing it? They know what the market will and won't bear, and they've determined that this is a no-brainer. Seriously, cruising in NOT all-inclusive. And as unconscionable as it seems to some of you- Royal is actually in this business to make money.

Really? It's a travesty that you have to pay a MODEST fee to have someone bring food to your room rather than having to take a five minute walk to get it for free? Of all the things to complain about.... This is kind of absurd when you look at the big picture....

I love how people seem to think this is "wrong" or a "mistake" by Royal. Really? You think they just wing it? They know what the market will and won't bear, and they've determined that this is a no-brainer. Seriously, cruising in NOT all-inclusive. And as unconscionable as it seems to some of you- Royal is actually in this business to make money.

Really? It's a travesty that you have to pay a MODEST fee to have someone bring food to your room rather than having to take a five minute walk to get it for free? Of all the things to complain about.... This is kind of absurd when you look at the big picture....

You should re-read the issue. It is not a delivery fee (like the current late night fee most seem to be totally fine with). It is an a la carte fee for food that USED to be included with the cruise fare. If it were a blanket fee regardless of the amount you order that is different topic, but that's not the case. Charging for an egg breakfast on room service is downright CHINTZY.

I agree, it is a no-brainer, it's like someone at RCI made this decision with NO BRAINS involved!

Don't cave in by thinking it's just $5. I'm sure this is a trial balloon and if they can get us to accept it as the norm, they will roll it out fleet wide and trumpet it as an "improvement".

Buffet hours are already limited so there are times when food isn't available, like 9pm to midnight. And before some troll or cheerleader makes a comment that there are plenty of other opportunities for free food, don't bother. We shouldn't have to worry about a "free food schedule". My teenager wants to and can eat constantly!

If they gave us a venue that had a variety of hot food available (not just pizza and cold sandwiches), I could tolerate the change more, but as it is now it is what the previous poster said: chintzy.

Dave

Edited by Tenderpaw

I wonder if they have pizza available for late night snacks? Free of course!

I noticed a few reviews of the Quantum on Cruise critic ship reviews by members, and I am a little concerned as they are so negative. I hope that it is just because the "bugs" have to be improved. Hopefully, when I sail in early spring, all will be great and up to anticipated standards!

I agree! Thank you for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you can't afford to pay a few extra bucks for room service, just stay home.

So tired of whining about be nickeled and dimed... Blah blah blah.

Edited by crbonfiber

That seems like short sighted advice. Obviously, they need to make money. But what about better systems that that save money, technology etc. It's always take away something from the passenger. We have been too passive, saying just what you're saying, "it's just a few extra bucks". Now we get sales that aren't sales, less little niceties, less customer service & we pay more. The point is, if we keep accepting it, where will it end? Maybe the MDR will be a la cart & only WJ included. The reality is, if customers accept less for more, it will continue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Don't cave in by thinking it's just $5. I'm sure this is a trial balloon and if they can get us to accept it as the norm, they will roll it out fleet wide and trumpet it as an "improvement".

Buffet hours are already limited so there are times when food isn't available, like 9pm to midnight. And before some troll or cheerleader makes a comment that there are plenty of other opportunities for free food, don't bother. We shouldn't have to worry about a "free food schedule". My teenager wants to and can eat constantly!

If they gave us a venue that had a variety of hot food available (not just pizza and cold sandwiches), I could tolerate the change more, but as it is now it is what the previous poster said: chintzy.

Dave

I was under the impression that the WJ on Quantum has hot food available 24/7. That would be a significant change from how buffets and food stations are run from other RCI ships.

Don't get me wrong. I understand why people might be upset. However there has also been a lot of progress from the days when room service was free but that was the only opportunity to get food outside of dinner serice in the buffet or dining room. I guess it comes down to what you cruise RCI for and whether it's evolution speaks to you or encourages you to try other brands.

You sound like the type that would pay $5 a day for pool access and laugh at everyone else for missing out. :rolleyes:

I was under the impression that the WJ on Quantum has hot food available 24/7. That would be a significant change from how buffets and food stations are run from other RCI ships.

Don't get me wrong. I understand why people might be upset. However there has also been a lot of progress from the days when room service was free but that was the only opportunity to get food outside of dinner serice in the buffet or dining room. I guess it comes down to what you cruise RCI for and whether it's evolution speaks to you or encourages you to try other brands.

You're starting to think like how RCI would pitch it; deflect the issue and spin it into at worst a neutral with a question mark at the end.

Bottom line - Room service was always included on RCI until Quantum. It's something people have come to expect as an included amenity on a cruise. Changing the policy and sticking your hand out to pay for what was always included is just chintzy; especially at the prices they are getting for Quantum!

If you don't like the whining, how about you just stay home! Blah blah blah! Why must people be so rude on these boards?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums