Most Quantum room service NOT complimentary

If you don't like the whining, how about you just stay home! Blah blah blah! Why must people be so rude on these boards?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with this poster. When cruise lines make changes that cost us more, we have the right to complain in public forums. We all know they are in business to make money, but we have the right to disagree with what they do. Yet when we do, there is always someone who isn't content to just disagree, but also must tell the OP to shut up and stop criticizing their favorite and sacred cruise line.

I love how people seem to think this is "wrong" or a "mistake" by Royal. Really? You think they just wing it? They know what the market will and won't bear, and they've determined that this is a no-brainer. Seriously, cruising in NOT all-inclusive. And as unconscionable as it seems to some of you- Royal is actually in this business to make money.

Really? It's a travesty that you have to pay a MODEST fee to have someone bring food to your room rather than having to take a five minute walk to get it for free? Of all the things to complain about.... This is kind of absurd when you look at the big picture....

Amen, my view is if you a few bucks are so important to you, then don't get room service. Cruising is a low cost vacation (unless you choose premium rooms), paying a few extras is no big deal.

I was under the impression that the WJ on Quantum has hot food available 24/7. That would be a significant change from how buffets and food stations are run from other RCI ships.

Quantum does have a 24 hour operation. The Windjammer is very well designed on Quantum. This would seem to be closely related to moving to a more limited complimentary room service along with the quality control issues mentioned.

Each station has 3 sets of signage. There is an aft station near the outdoor area that is separate from the rest that moves from Omelets to fajitas and back to Omelets throughout the day and never closes from 07:00 to 02:00. The central station at the far end of the middle section moves from 24 hour zone to egg zone to rotisserie to 24 hour station.

Even when they change over from breakfast to lunch, they first move breakfast to one side while prepping the other side for lunch. This allows them to transfer all breakfast items first to the starboard side. Guest can easily walk to the matching stations on the other side through the central isle. This way there is always something available at some station. By the time all breakfast stations are closing lunch is opening on the other side.

Deep cleaning is done between 3:30 pm and 5:30 PM as well as during the late hours. The aft station remains open during this time with 2 stations that can be alternated. On the TA they had omelets and fajitas and fruit.

Guests maintain access to the drink and bread stations and cafes and bars along with the coke freestyle machines on each side through all transitions as well.

:confused:Outrageous. But once again. I am not surprised. RCCL has been trying to nickel and dime us for the past couple of years and I have a feeling it is only going to get worse. I hate dealing with a company when I feel like I am being "duped". It may be time to move on. I am actually cruising a differents cruise line next month.

You should re-read the issue. It is not a delivery fee (like the current late night fee most seem to be totally fine with). It is an a la carte fee for food that USED to be included with the cruise fare. If it were a blanket fee regardless of the amount you order that is different topic, but that's not the case. Charging for an egg breakfast on room service is downright CHINTZY.

I agree, it is a no-brainer, it's like someone at RCI made this decision with NO BRAINS involved!

But they aren't the same thing. People have already posted examples the food items are different and actually made to order. So THIS food was never free for room service. So they upgraded the food quality. That requires a fee.

But they aren't the same thing. People have already posted examples the food items are different and actually made to order. So THIS food was never free for room service. So they upgraded the food quality. That requires a fee.

You are NOT correct, these items were free and now charged for.

I hated the thought of Dynamic Dining until I thought maybe dedicated waitpersons/chefs might actually have a handle on the menus/food and wouldn't "mass-produce" many dishes in advance of people actually ordering it. Imagine, a company saving money on wasted food.

While pretty upset with the Room Service menu at first, I'm again thinking the same thing. Will the order be correct and actually hot? Time will tell when I experience it for myself.

Sarcastically, I'm down right outraged that the internet speed has improved dramatically and but yet costs less. NorthStar, Bumper Cars, Rock Climbing, Flow Rider, Broadway Shows, unique entertainment, etc. are still free? Who is paying for this? Someone else?

Do I want everything for free? Heck yes! Will I get everything for free? Umm...no. Whether it's included in the overall cost or a la carte, I have a choice...and so do you. Use your feet if you must. I'm going to sip on my glass that's half full while deciding if I would still like to wake up in another country every other day without packing/unpacking every 24 hours.

For a brand new ship, I'm willing to wait out the shakedown and hear a few more reviews from cruisers on future sailings.

All room service food has always been made to order in its own section of the galley. They have their own cook, equipment, menu. No hot foods are premade. I saw this during a galley tour this year.

Quantum does have a 24 hour operation. The Windjammer is very well designed on Quantum. This would seem to be closely related to moving to a more limited complimentary room service along with the quality control issues mentioned.

Each station has 3 sets of signage. There is an aft station near the outdoor area that is separate from the rest that moves from Omelets to fajitas and back to Omelets throughout the day and never closes from 07:00 to 02:00. The central station at the far end of the middle section moves from 24 hour zone to egg zone to rotisserie to 24 hour station.

Even when they change over from breakfast to lunch, they first move breakfast to one side while prepping the other side for lunch. This allows them to transfer all breakfast items first to the starboard side. Guest can easily walk to the matching stations on the other side through the central isle. This way there is always something available at some station. By the time all breakfast stations are closing lunch is opening on the other side.

Deep cleaning is done between 3:30 pm and 5:30 PM as well as during the late hours. The aft station remains open during this time with 2 stations that can be alternated. On the TA they had omelets and fajitas and fruit.

Guests maintain access to the drink and bread stations and cafes and bars along with the coke freestyle machines on each side through all transitions as well.

And this is why I think anyone who is complaining about the charges for some room service is out of line. You can free hot food whenever you want. If you want to be lazy, you have to pay for it. It's not required. Get over it people.

Sent from iPhone using Cruise Critic App

Do I want everything for free? Heck yes! Will I get everything for free? Umm...no. Whether it's included in the overall cost or a la carte, I have a choice...and so do you. Use your feet if you must. I'm going to sip on my glass that's half full while deciding if I would still like to wake up in another country every other day without packing/unpacking every 24 hours.

Exactly!!!

You are NOT correct, these items were free and now charged for.

Again as someone pointed out who's eaten the food it is in fact different. The eggs were not cold soupy eggs that were scooped with an ice cream scooper. I've eaten those eggs plenty of times. They ARE NOT made to order. They are large batch eggs produced in mass. So is the bacon.

All room service food has always been made to order in its own section of the galley. They have their own cook, equipment, menu. No hot foods are premade. I saw this during a galley tour this year.

The breakfast scrambled eggs were always produced in mass. They are the exact same eggs served in the windjammer. This 100% fact.

And this is why I think anyone who is complaining about the charges for some room service is out of line. You can free hot food whenever you want. If you want to be lazy, you have to pay for it. It's not required. Get over it people.

Exactly.

Someone doesn't like change in what a company has provided for 43 years and suddenly the customer is out of line?

That makes no sense.

Again as someone pointed out who's eaten the food it is in fact different. The eggs were not cold soupy eggs that were scooped with an ice cream scooper. I've eaten those eggs plenty of times. They ARE NOT made to order. They are large batch eggs produced in mass. So is the bacon.

The breakfast scrambled eggs were always produced in mass. They are the exact same eggs served in the windjammer. This 100% fact.

what about the rest of the hot items they now are charging for?

what about the rest of the hot items they now are charging for?

Like what? Pancakes were never offered before. Nor were any of the new offerings from michaels pub. Again those who have ACTUALLY eaten the new food have pointed out it is NOT the same food

Like what? Pancakes were never offered before. Nor were any of the new offerings from michaels pub. Again those who have ACTUALLY eaten the new food have pointed out it is NOT the same food

A hamburger was always offered free. Hot wings used to be included a few years ago. The steak sandwich on current menu is great and included without an upcharge.

I just find the fees off putting and obnoxious. You don't feel the same. We have two different viewpoints and neither will convince the other. I've voiced my opinion to the company on what I feel is a negative change.

Edited by LMaxwell

I like your attitude - mature - we all have a right to our own opinions. I DO feel that this is a major take away - I like that you let RCI know how you feel. They decided to change their minds and give the WOWbands free - yes, only $2 - but figure how much money they could have collected for all the Quantum passengers who wanted them. Maybe they will change their minds on this issue - but the money for the bumper cars, North Star, and Ifly had to come from somewhere. I am sure those 3 things were MAJOR costs to be added to the ship, and no charge for using those. Many people will not use those things, but my opinion is that really made the price of this ship jump even higher. Royal is a business, and they need to make money to profit.

People will have to decide to weigh the pros and cons of Royal Caribbean. Either accept the changes or go to another line. We are Diamond Plus and have been very loyal - will we be disappointed enough to go to another line? That will be decided after we sail Quantum. We loved traditional dining - but maybe we will love Dynamic Dining once we try it (even though reservations were a pain to make - with all the computer problems). Hopefully, as time moves on this will get better.

- YES, I am very disappointed about the room service change. However, I must wait till we sail Quantum to form an overall opinion. Glass half full _ or half empty.

One last point - at the food reveal in NYC we were told that Dynamic Dining would NOT be transferred to other ships till they see how well it worked on Quantum. Well, Quantum has not had much sailing time and ALREADY it is on Oasis, and going to Allure and Voyager That is not what we were told. Also, they said it would not go fleet wide, and passengers could select a ship that meets their choices - traditional or dynamic dining. I hope that is true - and that dynamic does not go to all ships.

I think all these comments from those that sailed have us really thinking - some issues of concern were not just because an inaugural maiden sailing.

We have been very loyal Royals - and I honestly hope we feel the same way after Quantum.

Really? How do you know? Or is this just your opinion?

Really? How do you know? Or is this just your opinion?

I asked the F&B manager on board my recent oasis TA sailing after receiving the same soupy eggs in my room for breakfast. He confirmed they are in fact the exact same eggs produced in large batch style and kept warm just like windjammer. He did point out room service has its on galley. So they are produced in another area. But they are the exact same eggs fact.

I asked the F&B manager on board my recent oasis TA sailing after receiving the same soupy eggs in my room for breakfast. He confirmed they are in fact the exact same eggs produced in large batch style and kept warm just like windjammer. He did point out room service has its on galley. So they are produced in another area. But they are the exact same eggs fact.

First you said "they are the exact same eggs served in the windjammer" (your words). Now you're saying that "room service has its own galley. So they are produced in another area" (again, your words). Obviously both cannot be true. Perhaps you should get your stories straight? :rolleyes:

Edited by time4u2go

First you said "they are the exact same eggs served in the windjammer" (your words). Now you're saying that "room service has its own galley. So they are produced in another area" (again, your words). Obviously both cannot be true. Perhaps you should get your stories straight? :rolleyes:

Wow really? Are you just trying to find things to argue about. I never said the eggs were hand scooped out of the windjammer and delivered to your room. When I said they are exactly the same I mean the products, the production process and shelf maintaining process are all the same. I don't care where you make it if it's the same ingredients produced and kept the exact same way they are the same.

Wow really? Are you just trying to find things to argue about. I never said the eggs were hand scooped out of the windjammer and delivered to your room. When I said they are exactly the same I mean the products, the production process and shelf maintaining process are all the same. I don't care where you make it if it's the same ingredients produced and kept the exact same way they are the same.

Sorry, when you said they are "the exact same eggs served in the Windjammer" I thought you meant they were the exact same eggs served in the Windjammer. Silly me! :D:rolleyes:

Edited by time4u2go

Translation: I was lucky enough to be on the maiden transatlantic voyage of one of the most anticipated ships in years. It's innovative, it's beautiful, and I was there! Now that I'm home, all I can think to do is run to the computer and complain about not getting free eggs in my room!

You are ridiculous!!! Information like this is exactly what everyone will be looking for to make decisions. For you information I have not yet sailed and I am already siting at computer getting ready to complain. We sail December 20th. Of course 7 nights 4 complimentary restaurants. Meaning to eat without additional charge must repeat 3 restaurants, my problem, menus do not change in restaurants so now hope to find two things on menu I like so I can repeat restaurant, have to do that 3 times. I would start making reservations but of course that isn;t working online. All restaurants coming up unavailable.

Why I cruise, so I didn't have to sit and decide where and what to eat every night. That's done..

Seniors will just love all this high tech. I do, and I am already getting frayed nerves.

They would like me in addition to printing my own documents and luggage tags to now also upload my security photo. White background jpg etc etc as well? Excuse me should I make the bed in the morning so cabin steward isn't pressed now that he cleaned 400 cabins as cost factor?

So I an grateful for the room service information. I disagree with your translation. But I will know better once I do a sailing and make my future decisions then.

We all knew pay for everything was coming once they started additional cost restaurants and people LOVED them. It was either dumb down traditional menu or force people to pay. Looks like force people is RCL method. But again maybe I am wrong, let you know after Xmas.

George in NY

REALLY, lazy? Funny I thought I was on vacation and instead of getting up at 5 and prowling around for a cup of coffee etc I had paid NOT to do that for a lousy week in my life. Yep I am just a lazy ba....d that loves to pay extra for what I already thought I paid for. Maybe I should offer to cook it for them?

George in NY