Table for two etiquette

TwoBadKnees

I don't think that is fair at all and it is more than a little bit condescending. I think people like to dine (not "pretend") as if they are in Daniel, or Eleven Madison Park, or Quince, or Gary Danko or Tru. They enter a dining room anticipating a typical dining environment and don't suspend their disbelief that being at sea changes all the rules and norms. The idea that people think they are on a yacht is illogical since so few actually have been, so they wouldn't know what that is like. But everyone on a cruise ship has been in a land-based restaurant at least once in their life and hence has some sense of expectation in that regard.

Hope you were wearing steel toed safety shoes when you were dropping all those names.

Just liek the guy who came on here and said his "gentlemen's club" had it mandatory to wear suit coat and tie in the evening where he went and he was told that many "gentlemen's clubs" here in the states do not even require clothes on the employees. You are not in "Kansas" anymore on a cruise ship.

I noticed on my last Emerald Princess cruise a number of people requesting a table for two, no sharing, getting their table for two, and then proceeding to talk to the couple sitting next to them for the entire meal.

If people wish to talk to others, should they ask for a sharing table so that a table for two is more available for those who really want a private meal?

Is the question about a table for 2 in reference to Anytime Dining or Traditional??

also agree t means you can finish up early or linger on without having to worry about anyone, some nights we like to linger on over a coffee and cheese plate when at a table of strangers you can sometimes be made feel uncomfortable that you are keeping them waiting.

I've found that when we sat at a table for 2, often the waiters waited till all the nearby tables were seated and kept us in tandem. We couldn't speed them up even if we decided to skip a course. We'd wait till the nearby tables had finished the course we'd skipped.

I've found that when we sat at a table for 2, often the waiters waited till all the nearby tables were seated and kept us in tandem. We couldn't speed them up even if we decided to skip a course. We'd wait till the nearby tables had finished the course we'd skipped.

I have had the same experience on two different cruises. My family rarely has more than one or two courses - usually just an appetizer and soup or one entree with no accompaniment. At dinner we were waiting for close to an hour to get our entrees, even though that is all we ordered, because the waiter was grouping our tables with others. (We did get moved to another table after it happened on two consecutive nights -- and our pleas to the waiter to not serve us on the same schedule were ignored).

It also happened to me at lunch once where there was a long row of two seater tables and the waiter grouped all of us together. Again we were waiting only for an entree and had to wait while others had soup, salad or appetizers. We didn't complain that day though three or four other groups of two did (loudly!) to the head waiter.

It has been a rare occurrence for me, but has happened...not often enough to be the rule, but a table for two is no guarantee that you will be served on your own schedule.

Edited by Waimea'sMom

I don't think that is fair at all and it is more than a little bit condescending. I think people like to dine (not "pretend") as if they are in Daniel, or Eleven Madison Park, or Quince, or Gary Danko or Tru. They enter a dining room anticipating a typical dining environment and don't suspend their disbelief that being at sea changes all the rules and norms. The idea that people think they are on a yacht is illogical since so few actually have been, so they wouldn't know what that is like. But everyone on a cruise ship has been in a land-based restaurant at least once in their life and hence has some sense of expectation in that regard.

I have no idea who or what those people or places are. Some of us are hill billies and don't meet up too often with high brow folks. Not even on a cruise ship!:rolleyes:

I have no idea who or what those people or places are. Some of us are hill billies and don't meet up too often with high brow folks. Not even on a cruise ship!:rolleyes:

I wonder if you can wear shorts , a tank top and flip flops in them thar places. *LOL*

If privacy is really important to you, there are generally a FEW two-tops on most ships that are somewhat isolated from other guests. I had one on the Golden recently. It was far enough from my neighbors that I would have had to raise my voice to speak with them.

I suspect these more private tables are generally obtained via a tip to the maître d', but I lucked out as I always arrived early for ATD.

Edited by Ryndam2002
spelling

I don't think that is fair at all and it is more than a little bit condescending.

I'm not sure it's any more condescending than posts in this very thread calling other diners "rude" and "freaks," but whatever.

I do think that people who go on a cruise with 3000 other people and expect a private romantic environment anywhere but in their cabin are either falling for Princess' advertising, or fooling themselves.

Edited by shepp

[/i]

I do think that people who go on a cruise with 3000 other people and expect a private romantic environment anywhere but in their cabin are either falling for Princess' advertising, or fooling themselves.

Totally agree - everything on a ship is designed so that people 'mingle'. 2-tops have no privacy!

Our worst experience was agreeing to share, we were put at a table for six where the other 4 actually knew each other. When we sat down, nobody would speak to us.. they kept up their own conversations. After about 10 mins I finally spoke to the person next to me. It was polite, but by no means friendly. So next tried the 2-tops and met exceptionally nice people there!

Interesting thread. My wife and I just returned from our first river cruise. Much smaller ship, about 180 guests with open seating.

We met some wonderful folks and one couple who was unable to stop talking and always seemed to seek us out. We usually sat at a table of 8. They would start talking as soon as they sat down and never stopped unless they were swallowing.

We did not want to be rude, but would see others at the table roll their eyes and make other facial signs of discomfort. I asked in the middle of one long rambling, self-centered monolog, "Is there a point?" I had my leg pinched by my wife and was answered with, "This is very interesting." It wasn't.

The point is some people don't get hints.

We always try to get a private table for 2 expressly because of the awkwardness of being seated mere inches from others. It's not about wanting to be on a private yacht. My dad had a yacht, and I much prefer commercial cruises. I just don't want to converse with people other than my table mates at dinner. I've been cruising for 25 years and have done large tables and small. We prefer tables for 2. If you want to chat, ask for a bigger table! Don't bother those of us who specifically requested a table for TWO/DEUX/DOS! I have dined in 5 star restaurants in San Francisco and have never been spoken to by people at another table. Maybe it's different now; this was years ago, but if it's like that now, we will go elsewhere.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just going to throw out another reason for a two top..which we have never had...But, last cruise we requested a table for 6, got an 8...After the first night, one couple NEVER had dinner in the MDR again...they were in bed by 6 pm every night and ate at the buffet. and even though folks wanted the seating, noone was ever reassigned to out table...and the other 4 were from one family that sometimes ate in MDR maybe 4 out of 14 nights...so we were at a table for 8 alone..I promise we are not obnoxious! and the waiter pretty much ignored us because there were just the 2 of us...Not again, so 2 top it is! And we will talk to our neighbors...

Just going to throw out another reason for a two top..which we have never had...But, last cruise we requested a table for 6, got an 8...After the first night, one couple NEVER had dinner in the MDR again...they were in bed by 6 pm every night and ate at the buffet. and even though folks wanted the seating, noone was ever reassigned to out table...and the other 4 were from one family that sometimes ate in MDR maybe 4 out of 14 nights...so we were at a table for 8 alone..I promise we are not obnoxious! and the waiter pretty much ignored us because there were just the 2 of us...Not again, so 2 top it is! And we will talk to our neighbors...

I have noticed that in Traditional Dining Princess tends to put groups of four on tables of 6 and 8 then fill the other slots with couples. We had 3 cruises in a row on a 6 top where the 4 others were part of the same family/group. This can make it uncomfortable since you seem like an outsider. Have not had that happen in Celebrity, Royal Caribbean or HAL.

Would be better for their procedure to put couples together on 6 tops, put two groups of 4 on an 8 top, etc.

Edited by RDC1

My wife and I normally enjoy sitting at a 2 top but sat at an 8 top for the first time a cruise or two ago. The others were pleasant enough but it was somewhat uncomfortable, for me at least, as it was quite apparent that the others had WAY more money than we do and weren't shy about talking about their circumstances.

As others mentioned, it took way longer to eat. While we had one appetizer, the six others had two appetizers, two had three appetizers and one gentleman had FOUR. All of us dutifully waited for the others to finish before the main course, or in several cases courses, came. We had to skip dessert so we could make a show.

If you are at a multi top table I do not think it is necessary for everyone to be on the same course at the same time. We have been at many multi top tables where others have left before us and we have left before others. We have even had people leave and then others come to the vacated seats. No reason to forgo any course.

Ok how many people have even dined let alone heard of those places.

Considering that every one of those places routinely shows up on annual lists of the Top 50 restaurants in the U.S., I would imagine that many people have heard of them and many people have dined there.

I've never heard of those places,

My post was directed to shepp who, I am sure, has heard of them.

I'm not sure it's any more condescending than posts in this very thread calling other diners "rude" and "freaks," but whatever.

I'll give you that!:)

It is odd, (but not surprising), how polarizing this is. It is hard to imagine that certain people truly believe that one gives up all sense of privacy when one goes into a dining room on a ship, and it is hard to imagine that certain people truly believe that cordial conversation won't evolve when people are seated 6 inches away from one another. But keyboards tend to push people to the outer limits of logic and reason.

Edited by JimmyVWine

Nope. A couple of cruises ago, the two tables immediately next to ours was populated by a group a group of MLB stars. We all knew who they were. We left them alone.

I don't know if you're in the group I'm addressing. But the point is that if they engaged you it would have been OK.

I'm willing to bet that if a Celebrity or famous couple / person sat at a 2 top next to one of the "don't even acknowledge me" posters that all of a sudden it would be OK to converse with your neighbors.;)

We recently sat in front of a famous singer. Sure, it was cool, but we would never consider interrupting his private brunch.

I have noticed that in Traditional Dining Princess tends to put groups of four on tables of 6 and 8 then fill the other slots with couples. We had 3 cruises in a row on a 6 top where the 4 others were part of the same family/group. This can make it uncomfortable since you seem like an outsider.

My experience has been different. We (the two of us) usually get seated with two other couples (all of us strangers) at a table for six. Several times we have been seated with one other couple (previously unknown) at a four-top. The worst experiences I've had were at those cursed two-tops right next to each other. The past few years I have been specifically asking for a table for six in the Personalizer, and it has been working out well.

My dad had a yacht, and I much prefer commercial cruises. .If you want to chat, ask for a bigger table! Don't bother those of us who specifically requested a table for TWO/DEUX/DOS!

Well, my dad didn't have a yacht (unless you count a Hudson Bay cargo ship) so I don't know how people talk there. :rolleyes: However, you can rest assured I will not "bother" you with my polite greetings if I ever encounter you. :rolleyes: Suppose I did ask for a bigger and table and was given the two-top next to you? Do diners always get what they ask for?

We always try to get a private table for 2 expressly because of the awkwardness of being seated mere inches from others. It's not about wanting to be on a private yacht. My dad had a yacht, and I much prefer commercial cruises. I just don't want to converse with people other than my table mates at dinner. I've been cruising for 25 years and have done large tables and small. We prefer tables for 2. If you want to chat, ask for a bigger table! Don't bother those of us who specifically requested a table for TWO/DEUX/DOS! I have dined in 5 star restaurants in San Francisco and have never been spoken to by people at another table. Maybe it's different now; this was years ago, but if it's like that now, we will go elsewhere.

Sorry you will be going elsewhere as you will probably not be missed. Hope you have fun on your new cruise line trying to tell people what to do. Guess what? You are on a cruise ship and they have no "5 Star" eating establishments. But then again that is not what most cruisers are looking for.

Edited by Potstech