Table for two etiquette

TwoBadKnees

I noticed on my last Emerald Princess cruise a number of people requesting a table for two, no sharing, getting their table for two, and then proceeding to talk to the couple sitting next to them for the entire meal.

If people wish to talk to others, should they ask for a sharing table so that a table for two is more available for those who really want a private meal?

People should be able to talk to whomever they want at their table. If someone talks to you it is only polite to acknowledge them. There are many reasons people want a table for two and who are we to question how they behave.

No if you get a table for two you should not talk to anyone else in the whole room, and if you ask for a table for six you shouldn't talk to anyone else other than the other 5 at your table.

And if you are in the lounge and sitting in a chair for one you better make sure you only talk to yourself.

I'm guessing that you are thinking the others at the two tops might have wanted a private meal. That may be the case, and hopefully they could let the "talkers" know, in a polite way, that they prefer to keep to themselves. It is rather difficult to do, though, since the tables are so close together.

No if you get a table for two you should not talk to anyone else in the whole room, and if you ask for a table for six you shouldn't talk to anyone else other than the other 5 at your table.

And if you are in the lounge and sitting in a chair for one you better make sure you only talk to yourself.

D'Oh! Have you been watching me? :eek:

I work in IT and I end up talking to myself while I'm working. I tell people that I have to talk to myself because I need someone to tell me what to do... :D

I work in IT and I end up talking to myself while I'm working. I tell people that I have to talk to myself because I need someone to tell me what to do... :D

I tell people that I have to talk to myself because with my level of intelligence I am the only one who can understand me, what I refuse to tell though is if it is an extremely high level or perhaps at the other end of the scale.

I noticed on my last Emerald Princess cruise a number of people requesting a table for two, no sharing, getting their table for two, and then proceeding to talk to the couple sitting next to them for the entire meal.

If people wish to talk to others, should they ask for a sharing table so that a table for two is more available for those who really want a private meal?

I quite agree with you, that's been our experience as well. My wife and I always get a table for two, and perhaps 20% of the time, the people 6" away from us (those tables for 2 are ridiculously tight) start talking to us rather than to each other, as my wife and I are trying and failing to do. These folks seem to be good candidates for traditional dining, and I've always wondered why they insist on anytime.

We always have a table for two. Sometimes (usually ;)) it's one situated very close to our neighboring table and we've never had a problem keeping to ourselves. Sometimes we talk to the next table if it seems right but usually we just acknowledge each other with a polite hello. We've never experienced an intrusive neighbor and I can assure you we have never been one. :D

We always request a table for 2 late dining, but the tables being so close mean we end up talking to the neighbours.

However, I couldn't be doing with sharing a large table with others. If you are a table for 2 you are free to dine in your stateroom or speciality restaurants without worrying about keeping the other table mates waiting. Likewise, you don't feel obliged to chat to the neighbours if you don't want to.

Best table for 2 we ever had was on HAL, it was a table for 4 set up for 2. But we still chatted to the neighbours.

You're on holiday, relax and enjoy. No worries.

In 20/20 hindsight, I shouldn't have been taking a sip of water when I read your response. I had to spend some time mopping up the mess I made when I spluttered it all over my keyboard as I tried to stop myself from laughing!

In 20/20 hindsight, I shouldn't have been taking a sip of water when I read your response. I had to spend some time mopping up the mess I made when I spluttered it all over my keyboard as I tried to stop myself from laughing!

Sorry, for some reason people often laugh with me, or should that be at me?

Forget about getting a 2-top expecting an intimate night with your mate. It's impossible for people on both sides not to hear your conversation and vice-versa. More often than not you end up talking to them just because you can't have a private conversation.

Like another poster mentioned about getting a table for 4 on HAL, we also found it like that on NCL - much like you would at a land based restaurant.

The advantage of a 2-top on Princess is you don't feel that you have to talk to neighbours, just be aware that you may have to limit your conversation to things you don't mind them hearing anyway.

At Anytime we always say we are happy to share or whichever is quickest so sometimes we are seated at a table for two.

We always speak to those next to us when the tables are really close together but give them their privacy unless they start talking to us. ;)

LuLu

When we were on Pacific Princess we had a table for 2 in traditional that was right on top of the next table for 2, literally less than 12 inches apart. After a few nights we ended up talking to the people at the next table, and got along with them well. On our other side (also very close) was a table for 4, which had a family with 2 teen kids. We called them 'the Broodys' (play on 'the Bradys') because while they all looked alike, they would sit in silence brooding and not look at each other. Very depressing! So the couple on our other side was very handy for conversation.

However this other couple was very slow eating. We like to be 'fast' (i.e. 75-90 minutes for dinner) and if we had actually been sharing the table with the couple next to us, we would have had to slow down to their pace (they were often just getting entrees when we had finished dessert and were on our way out of the dining room). So the close 'two top' was the ideal for us: conversation, but separate dining paces.

Edited by helenb

When we request a table for 2 it is because we Do. Not. Want. to talk to others during that meal. Yet, others seated next to us feel the need to chat with us. No reason we should be polite to those being rude.

Do you have a sign posted saying that you Do. Not. Want. to talk to others? Otherwise, why would you call their behavior 'rude'?

We almost always ask for a table for two at dinner in ATD. We have been seated at one of those close table one time and we did chat with the couple next to us but it was obvious we were not disturbing them or them us. Other than that one time we've been seated at a four top but set for two. It's nice to have the extra room. We do tend to eat on the later side when more four top tables might be available.

When we were on Pacific Princess we had a table for 2 in traditional that was right on top of the next table for 2, literally less than 12 inches apart. After a few nights we ended up talking to the people at the next table, and got along with them well. On our other side (also very close) was a table for 4, which had a family with 2 teen kids. We called them 'the Broodys' (play on 'the Bradys') because while they all looked alike, they would sit in silence brooding and not look at each other. Very depressing! So the couple on our other side was very handy for conversation.

However this other couple was very slow eating. We like to be 'fast' (i.e. 75-90 minutes for dinner) and if we had actually been sharing the table with the couple next to us, we would have had to slow down to their pace (they were often just getting entrees when we had finished dessert and were on our way out of the dining room). So the close 'two top' was the ideal for us: conversation, but separate dining paces.

Probably my favorite dining experience was on PP we had a table for 2, about 4" away was a table for 8, most nights we would have a bit of a chat between the ten of us and when the first course arrived we'd more or less break into the two tables and I could have romantic diner with my darling.

One night one of then won the Bingo and shouted everyone a couple of bottles and were generous enough to offer to include us [we aren't drinkers so declined] the next night [last at sea] we ate at the Steakhouse but before diner I went down and arranged another round of wine for the table as they had really made the cruise an even more enjoyable experience. Next day they came looking for me to tell me off.

also agree t means you can finish up early or linger on without having to worry about anyone, some nights we like to linger on over a coffee and cheese plate when at a table of strangers you can sometimes be made feel uncomfortable that you are keeping them waiting.

no if you get a table for two you should not talk to anyone else in the whole room, and if you ask for a table for six you shouldn't talk to anyone else other than the other 5 at your table.

lol

I am a teacher and I talk to myself when doing paperwork. Sometimes I just need to have an adult conversation after a day of talking with kids.