Longing for a balcony room feel - help!

The last cruise we went on we had a balcony room. I LOVED it and thought I'd never book anything else. In a couple weeks we will be on the Independence of the Seas. We are taking our kids this time, so for room and price, we have booked a Family Promenade Room. My question is this: where on the ship would be the most private, quiet place to sit out on the deck and get some of that balcony room feel? I am really going to miss reading in a lounge chair on my own balcony. Any insider suggestions on a great place to go?

almost anywhere away from the pool.

For quiet time, try a stroll on the outside deck after dinner. We are often the only ones there. The smoking side will be a bit more crowded but the non smoking is is empty! We are constantly amazed that we can be on a ship with 3000 passengers and be the only ones taking a stroll at 9:30PM

enjoy

M

We always find that public, quiet and seclusion vary from cruise to cruise. Typically we have luck with the top most, forward most areas. As a previous poster has said deck 4 will have some people, but won't be overrun with people like the pool deck is.

Anywhere on deck 4. Other than an occasional jogger, it's always empty, and best connection with the sea on the ship.

Agree - what used to be called the promenade deck (do they still call it that?) is nearly empty nowadays and I find it one of the more "ship feeling" places onboard.

. . . what used to be called the promenade deck (do they still call it that?) . . .

I don't know about "they" but I do -- usually modified as the "outside" promenade to avoid confusion with the Royal Promenade inside. Note the deck chairs on this level are usually under cover. If you want sun, the areas above the pool deck will usually have a lot of chairs available without much crowding. I would be a little concerned about the wind on the helipad.

Nothing beats the helipad at night if you just want to stargaze or listen to an iPod. I LOVED the Indy's helipad, the sea sounds different and it's dark and quiet. You won't be able to read at night there, but it was sheer bliss just laying on the bench and looking up at the stars. Anyways, I hope you find a great place to relax!