Embarkation in Puerto Rico

slyster

The point several of us are trying to make here is that bribing a porter and jumping ahead of the line is really an extremely unfair and tacky way to alleviate your impatience. Just in case you didn't understand some of the previous posts.

So. It's also unfair for people with a suite to get onboard the ship before of the rest of the passengers Or people with excursion to get off the ship before the rest. Or an area onboard the ship that is only for suite guess? Isn't that unfair?

All I see are people paying extra to obtain their goals

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by mcatmcat

So. It's also unfair for people with a suite to get onboard the ship before of the rest of the passengers Or people with excursion to get off the ship before the rest. Or an area onboard the ship that is only for suite guess? Isn't that unfair?

All I see are people paying extra to obtain their goals

Those in a suite paid for it as part of their fare. If you booked a first class airfare and someone somehow paid off a flight attendant (very unlikely to happen) to bring someone up front, is that OK? If you bought a drink package and someone just tipped heavy and was getting much more value than you, are you OK with it? Not the same thing.

Those in a suite paid for it as part of their fare. If you booked a first class airfare and someone somehow paid off a flight attendant (very unlikely to happen) to bring someone up front, is that OK? If you bought a drink package and someone just tipped heavy and was getting much more value than you, are you OK with it? Not the same thing.

This prove me once again than paying extra will move you ahead. Suite get onboard earlier because it's included in the fare with is double or triple the price of inside cabin ( maybe more but I'm not doing the math ) so, if you pay more to get the suite it's ok to get onboard early. I'm also paying more the only difference is that is not included in my fair

By the way, if the guy got in first class I will applause him internally because I know he will have an excellent ride and he didn't pay an exaggerated fare. Just because other person is in coach can't understand why he or she might get upset because other people are lucky enough and get a better seat. Is not your case, but I don't understand why some people get extremely mad with the success of others

You can read it in here how people get upset to those booking last minute because they got a better value. , why people get upset with the success of others and the list can go on for days lol

I was on the Jewel last year in November. It was heavily discounted, and there were a lot of locals on board.

We arrived at the pier at 1045. There was no line to heck in nor to get on the ship. We were in the Windjammer before 1115. (And it was VERY empty.)

Aloha,

John

• 1 month later...

Our first cruise out of Puerto Rico is coming up on the Adventure.

Every cruise we have been on prior, we always get to the port and check-in by 11am.

Was not sure about this cruise because the ship is not scheduled to leave till 8pm....

What I'm reading here is that the timetable is still the same othwr than departure time.

Our first cruise out of Puerto Rico is coming up on the Adventure.

Every cruise we have been on prior, we always get to the port and check-in by 11am.

Was not sure about this cruise because the ship is not scheduled to leave till 8pm....

What I'm reading here is that the timetable is still the same othwr than departure time.

Our experience is that San Juan tends to run a little later than mainland US ports. We have usually arrived at the port around 11am, and several times have not entered the cruise terminal until around noon. It's also typical that the staterooms don't open until 1:30pm.

Thanks for the info on here. So I wont be booking a taxi before 1030 then. I dont mind waiting outside for a little bit. Long as it is not raining :D or Blistering hot

Edited by trev71

I've read on the Carnival Boards where people check in, get settled in their rooms, then get off the ship since it's not leaving till later in the evening....

Is that possible with RCI? Not that there is anything to do at the PanAm Pier as opposed to Old San Jaun....

I've read on the Carnival Boards where people check in, get settled in their rooms, then get off the ship since it's not leaving till later in the evening....

Is that possible with RCI? Not that there is anything to do at the PanAm Pier as opposed to Old San Jaun....

Yes, perfectly OK. We've done that on B2B cruises out of San Juan. Take a taxi to OSJ and spend a few hours touring the area.

This is our very first cruise and I am so thankful for all of the great advice posted on Cruise Critic. My DH and I were planning on arriving to the port between 11:30 and Noon. However, I received this text message today:

S: Adventure of the Seas - January 11 Check-In Information

Hello, this is Royal Caribbean International. We would like to provide you with important information regarding your sailing on January 11, 2015, onboard Adventure of the Seas. To enhance the check-in and boarding experience, we ask that guests arrive to the terminal based on the following times.Guests on deck 10 should arrive for check-in at 1:30 P.M.Guests on deck 9 should arrive for check-in at 2:00 P.M.Guests on deck 8 should arrive for check-in at 2:30 P.M.Guests on deck 7 should arrive for check-in at 3:30 P.M.Guests on deck 6 should arrive for check-in at 4:00 P.M.Guests on decks 3 & 2 should arrive for check-in at 5:00 P.M.We invite our Suite, Pinnacle, Diamond Plus, Diamond, Emerald and Platinum guests to arrive anytime between 1:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation, and look forward to welcoming you onboard the Adventure of the Seas.

Is this typical and should we follow this request?

I also posted this in the Roll Call for this cruise.

This is our very first cruise and I am so thankful for all of the great advice posted on Cruise Critic. My DH and I were planning on arriving to the port between 11:30 and Noon. However, I received this text message today:

S: Adventure of the Seas - January 11 Check-In Information

Hello, this is Royal Caribbean International. We would like to provide you with important information regarding your sailing on January 11, 2015, onboard Adventure of the Seas. To enhance the check-in and boarding experience, we ask that guests arrive to the terminal based on the following times.Guests on deck 10 should arrive for check-in at 1:30 P.M.Guests on deck 9 should arrive for check-in at 2:00 P.M.Guests on deck 8 should arrive for check-in at 2:30 P.M.Guests on deck 7 should arrive for check-in at 3:30 P.M.Guests on deck 6 should arrive for check-in at 4:00 P.M.Guests on decks 3 & 2 should arrive for check-in at 5:00 P.M.We invite our Suite, Pinnacle, Diamond Plus, Diamond, Emerald and Platinum guests to arrive anytime between 1:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation, and look forward to welcoming you onboard the Adventure of the Seas.

Is this typical and should we follow this request?

I also posted this in the Roll Call for this cruise.

This has been happening for the last few months. These are only suggested times and are not enforced.

September 2013, Jewel, Pan-Am pier. Arrived about 11 - no line, no wait. Sitting in WJC within 30 minutes of arriving. Easiest boarding we've ever had.

We are headed back in just a few months (April) and we're hoping to have a similar experience. On the Adventure this time.:D

Supposedly the traffic in San Juan is increasing in large numbers due to the cycling of cruise schedules. I hear that one of the cruise lines fronted the PR govt a bunch of money to rebuild the port, then the PR govt raised docking fees etc so the cruise line re-routed all of their ships for several years. Sounds like the traffic is getting thicker around PR though. Whenever we go there we always use these guys for booking excursions: www.prvacationhelpers.com/

• 2 weeks later...
September 2013, Jewel, Pan-Am pier. Arrived about 11 - no line, no wait. Sitting in WJC within 30 minutes of arriving. Easiest boarding we've ever had.

We are headed back in just a few months (April) and we're hoping to have a similar experience. On the Adventure this time.:D

Hi Andrew and Michelle (Tytus)!

You had registered as going on our Freedom cruise March 8th and I just wondered if you were still going with us. I'm trying to get all our meet & mingle/roll call stuff set up. If you could let me know i'd appreciate it!

Thanks,

Cheryl

We have sailed from Puerto Rico frequently over the years, and we sometimes had to wait, sometimes not. That terminal is relatively small compared to US mainland terminals, so processing passengers seems to be a challenge.

We decided long ago, what's the rush? We don't really like arriving before the rooms are ready anyway.

If you are staying at a hotel pre-cruise, ask them for a late check out and enjoy your time there. We have never had a problem asking for a 1:30-2:00 check out time. Or go in to OSJ for a nice lunch.

Of coarse, when you just left from a -20C home, there are a lot of things worse than standing in the sunny warmth for an hour;)