Princess to Alaska - May or June 2015

MSBerliner

Just received a mailer advertising Alaska in May (with other cruises also). Those who have sailed to Alaska in May and in June - which month would you recommend and which ship, please? Many thanks.:)

A lot depends on the year . One year we approached Hubbard Glacier to with in 1 mile . The next time we went in June we didn't get any closer than 5 miles. Glacier Bay can also depend on what the winter was like.

We did Alaska in mid-June to July 2nd in 2012. A B2B. The weather was fantastic from Vancouver to Whittier. On our excursion to the Yukon, it was 80F there that day.

Return to Vancouver, it was like someone flipped a switch. Mostly foggy, damp and cool while at sea, but when we got close to the glaciers, an overcast day provided a better look. You could see the "blue" perfectly and tell, even before the "CRACK" that something was ready to happen.

I would go that time of year again. We were on the Sapphire Princess and loved the ship and crew.:)

We are splitting it and doing both :) We'll be on a 14 day cruisetour leaving 5/27. For us, the significant cost savings by picking a trip that started in late May (upwards of 600 pp) was enough for us to be able to afford some different excursions and a 1 day longer tour. June is more "peak" and more expensive than tours leaving in May. Be careful with May though - leave before 5/20 and you'll find many things are closed/inaccessible if you do a land tour before/after your cruise.

We did a B2B last year, leaving Vancouver in late May so we straddled the months. We've cruised Alaska in late June, July, August and late September and this was by far the most exciting cruise as far as critter-sightings go. I don't know if it's typical for that time of year, but we saw humpback whale, orca, sea lions, puffin, a glossy black bear nibbling dandelions right next to the road as we took Chilkoot Tours in Skagway up to Carcross with a big brown bear in the trees when we road the train back down. In Prince William sound on the turn-around day there was a minke whale, Dahl's porpoise and gobs (I'm certain that's the scientific term ;)) of stellar seals and sea otters laying on the ice bits. We'd happily go back again during this time.

Edited by LoriPhil

We typically do the first week of June and have primarily experienced wonderful weather and scenery. The earlier you go, the more likely it will be for you to see snow, and the captain may not be able to get as close to the glaciers. Alaskan weather is so variant that you really can't predict what it will be like. You'll enjoy yourself whenever you go.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The first few weeks of the season are less expensive than the weeks that follow and is called the shoulder season. The best time to go is the last week of the shoulder season before the prices go up. By the time you get to AK most of the tourist businesses will be open. If you go too early though they will be closed. As for the weather it is the luck of the draw. It can be really nice and worm or nasty and cold. This advice is for the north bound trip.

We usually sail Alaska in May. Weather can be anywhere from 35 degrees to 75 degrees. We've had cruises that are all sunny and some that are all foggy/rainy. We have also sailed Alaska in July and August and have had the same range of weather. One of the advantages of sailing earlier is that the ports aren't as crowded because some cruise lines don't start their Alaska season until June.

We sailed Whittier to Vancouver leaving May 28th. We had absolutely gorgeous weather and ended up with sunburns while cruising Glacier Bay. We had friends that went the same time the following year and it rained everyday. You can never tell what weather you will get in Alaska but the scenery is amazing either way.

I have sailed Alaska a lot from mid-May to the first week of June. The vast majority of the time I have had fabulous, dry weather! I like May because prices are better and there is often still snow in the Yukon and on the mountains (more so).

I have always seen orcas and have always seen bears, but not when looking.

Glacier Bay is almost always accessible.

I have only been to Hubbard 2x. Once in May and once in July. In May, we got close and July, we were 9 miles away. This is a crap shoot.

I find mid-May quite dry to cruise. I think end of May to end of June is probably the best time to cruise Alaska.

One of the advantages of sailing earlier is that the ports aren't as crowded because some cruise lines don't start their Alaska season until June.

The past couple of years, some lines have started at the end of April! I would never go at that time but the one cruise I know of, they had fabulous weather. Glacier Bay pics were stunning - this was a Crystal cruise.

Edited by Coral

I have sailed to Alaska in Mid-May, June, and Mid-July. The only difference is the chill in the air. Mid-May was chilly for most of the cruise, but we had very little rain. In fact our cruise in July was much wetter. With that said it's really the luck of the draw. In Alaska you have to be prepared for cool weather as well as warm to hot. You just never know. When we went in June we went to Denali first where it snowed for a day. August is the warmest month, usually.

I have sailed to Alaska in Mid-May, June, and Mid-July. The only difference is the chill in the air. Mid-May was chilly for most of the cruise, but we had very little rain. In fact our cruise in July was much wetter. With that said it's really the luck of the draw. In Alaska you have to be prepared for cool weather as well as warm to hot. You just never know. When we went in June we went to Denali first where it snowed for a day. August is the warmest month, usually.

This is so true. I have gone 2x over 4th of July. The first time, it was awful. We had sleet, severe fog, rain and winds beyond control. It was the most miserable cruise and we couldn't even see any scenery to enjoy that part. It was so cold and the ships sold out of their jackets.

We went back several years later and I got sunburned and it was too hot to wear jeans. I have also gotten sunburned in May.

Luck of the draw. Historically, May and June are more dry (less rain) compared to July and August.

Edited by Coral

Thanks to all for your kind replies. My wife and I have just booked a back-to-back on the Coral Princess departing Vancouver May 27 and returning to Vancouver June 10. Our son, who lives in Anchorage is visiting us in Arizona in January. This cruise docks for the day in Whittier, AK and we can visit him there also. (We've already spent several weeks in Alaska during previous years). We're actually "homesick" for the green mountains up north. We also have enjoyed our two week cruises to Hawaii, so this is just the thing. Yes, HAL offers a two-weeker on the old Statendam, but the Coral is a newer, nicer ship. So, many thanks again for helping us make our decision.

Thanks to all for your kind replies. My wife and I have just booked a back-to-back on the Coral Princess departing Vancouver May 27 and returning to Vancouver June 10. Our son, who lives in Anchorage is visiting us in Arizona in January. This cruise docks for the day in Whittier, AK and we can visit him there also. (We've already spent several weeks in Alaska during previous years). We're actually "homesick" for the green mountains up north. We also have enjoyed our two week cruises to Hawaii, so this is just the thing. Yes, HAL offers a two-weeker on the old Statendam, but the Coral is a newer, nicer ship. So, many thanks again for helping us make our decision.

You chose the ideal timeframe in my opinion. Have fun!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app