Lafite wine tasting - worth doing?

This is offered as an onboard activity aboard our Voyager NYE cruise. I found a thread from 2 years ago where it got mixed reviews. Just wondering if anyone has done it recently? Is it worth doing? $25AUD pp.

We didn't think it was worth it. They served us 4 wines of which we thought one was not bad. If Voyager is getting a Vintages, then you would be better off having a wine flight there.

We did it recently on Independance.

It was fun and informative, if your a real connoisseur of wine I don't think you'd get much from it but we really enjoyed.

The cheeses that accompany it are to die for!

We also did this on IOS and I agree with your assessment of the cheeses. There were several people who did not show up, so our table was able to sample even more wine.

Have done this twice. Once on Jewel, once on Vision. Really enjoyed it on Jewel and it was very informative. It was OK on Vision. Not sure if that was because we had done it before or the person giving it was not as good.

If you are new to wine tasting, I would do it. If you are not, probably skip it.

• 9 months later...

We also did it once.....only us and another couple. At first I thought they would cancel, but they did a good job walking us through the wines. The only one i really liked was the Cabernet Franc.

The cheese was the best part.

After we finished the tasting.....we ordered a better glass of Cabernet Sauvignon from another winery and finished the cheese.

Edited by Beachammo

We also did it once.....only us and another couple. At first I thought they would cancel, but they did a good job walking us through the wines. The only one i really liked was the Cabernet Franc.

The cheese was the best part.

After we finished the tasting.....we ordered a better glass of Cabernet Sauvignon from another winery and finished the cheese.

That was close to our experience too. We only liked one of the reds.

This is offered as an onboard activity aboard our Voyager NYE cruise. I found a thread from 2 years ago where it got mixed reviews. Just wondering if anyone has done it recently? Is it worth doing? $25AUD pp.

my personal opinion..no.. the wines themselves are nothing spectacular any more. knowledge and what you may learn will vary by presenter.

if you know NOTHING about wine and need a beginner lesson it would be okay.

Do they select x number of reds and x number of whites for the tastings, or do they try and personalize it?

(Sorry to the OP for the semi Hijack, it just helps to know)

I believe the Lafite Wine Tasting is the same wines, because they have a package of wines you can buy at the end.

If you want a personalized tasting, go on a ship with a Vintages wine bar. They will suggest flights based on your persona taste.

We have done it twice on different ships. Once was in the MDR, the other was in Vintages. Same wines, four reds and a white.

I would agree that if you want to learn more about wine, it is worthwhile. The price is good four five smallish glasses of wine and some nice cheese and crackers.

I will also add that on Oasis, there was also a Martini making class (which we did) and a beer tasting. All scheduled at the same time though.

I believe the Lafite Wine Tasting is the same wines, because they have a package of wines you can buy at the end.

If you want a personalized tasting, go on a ship with a Vintages wine bar. They will suggest flights based on your persona taste.

Thanks Bob :)

Not sure I could get my DH to do it with me, we really aren't big drinkers... I was was involved in a wine tasting years ago in So Cal. I was WAY too young to really understand it but what stuck with me was I preferred whites over reds. Now that I am much older and wiser, I thought it might be an interesting thing to do.

Thanks Bob :)

Not sure I could get my DH to do it with me, we really aren't big drinkers... I was was involved in a wine tasting years ago in So Cal. I was WAY too young to really understand it but what stuck with me was I preferred whites over reds. Now that I am much older and wiser, I thought it might be an interesting thing to do.

Why not go for it on your own? My DH is not a wine drinker but I thought it would interesting to try the (for fee) Riedal workshop on Equinox and was happy I did.

I noted at the (free) Elite winetasting there were quite a few solo participants.

Thanks for the Lafite feedback Bob -- how would this compare to Celebrity do you think?

We've done both the Lafite tasting in the MDR and another tasting in Vintages. Both were excellent for new wine fans. I liked how they taught you *how* to taste the wine and enjoy the food with it.

However, if you go to Cozumel, the best liquor tasting we have done yet is the Jose Cuervo Experience. :D

For us, the Lafitte wine tasting was not very good. This features one winery, Lafitte, and I did not care for it. We have done many wine tastings in Vintages that were great. They also offer cheeses, bread, olives, etc. when you do wine tastings. Very well trained staff, too. Great atmosphere and a lot of fun. Even though we are not novices, we still go for wine tastings and wine flights and always find a new "favorite".

Margee