Boarding delays from US ports

az_tchr

Recently many cruisers have received messages from RCCI about delayed boarding. This is the result of ships coming back to the US after extended time overseas and requires US inspection before ANYONE boards. Understand that boarding schedules have not been enforced in the past on RCCI, but this is different. Does not matter if you are a first time passenger or on your 100th cruise - until the ship is cleared nobody will board.

If you arrive early you will likely wait in a VERY long line. Later arrivals will find people moving quickly on board. The issue is they can process only so many people and put them into line because the line will stop at the ship until it is cleared. The inspections normally take several hours and begin mostly after the passengers from the prior cruise disembark.

We got into this some years ago at Port Liberty. Those that arrived before noon were rewarded with a 3 hour wait. Those ariving after 3pm walked through in minutes. A reminder this is not the fault of RCCI or the other cruiselines. It is a USCG requirement.

Good advise. A few years ago we were the first cruise in Tampa after the TA. We waited several hours for the ship to clear. I think the issue was mostly the staff and crew clearance.

In any case boarding was delayed at least 2-3 hours . You should have seen the madhouse. Sitting areas were filled, folks in line outside, and the priority area was FILLED! The sad part was the nasty passengers who yelled at the port and RCCL staff to let them on the ship.

Sometimes it is best to wait just a bit.

M

I'm sure the people getting on Liberty after our TA last weekend had a delay. The last people off the ship reported it was after 12 before they left. There appeared to be a huge backup in Customs, especially in the non-USA line. What a mess, although not as bad as last year!:D

Sherri:)

I'm sure the people getting on Liberty after our TA last weekend had a delay. The last people off the ship reported it was after 12 before they left. There appeared to be a huge backup in Customs, especially in the non-USA line. What a mess, although not as bad as last year!:D

People were still boarding last week when we were doing muster drill. However they started boarding as soon as the last people were off at 12ish - we were the last off as back to back guests and waited in line for over an hour until we got back on by which time there were plenty of people already on the ship.

Edited by Bobal

Major delay as per concierge foreigners coming into USA had improper paperwork.... Backed up the lines 40min/1 hr

When we got on line customs asked for US passports and we were thru

Immigration in a matter of minutes....

Foreigners just stood....

I saw Liberty sail last Sat on Portfever. Com at or about regular time!

The crew must have had a hell of a day!

We arrived to board this cruise at 3:30 (like the e-mail from RCCL advised) and were basically walked straight on. Reports from other guests described the terminal as a mob scene closer to noon. What gets me is WHY all those people ignore the instructions they were given. Their inconvenience is their own fault. Are they really so desperate for a mediocre buffet lunch? :rolleyes: Had everyone arrived at their assigned time (at 1-hour intervals determined by deck) things would have flowed relatively smoothly for both personnel and passengers. Perhaps those e-mails should be worded a little more decisively - for example: "Boarding prior to 1:00 p.m. will be PROHIBITED..."

Major delay as per concierge foreigners coming into USA had improper paperwork.... Backed up the lines 40min/1 hr

When we got on line customs asked for US passports and we were thru

Immigration in a matter of minutes....

Foreigners just stood....

I saw Liberty sail last Sat on Portfever. Com at or about regular time!

The crew must have had a hell of a day!

RCCL is largely to blame for this. The information given on-board about the mandatory I-94 forms is incorrect and contradictory and no two crew members will say the same thing when questioned. The form itself is INCORRECT - it specifically says that Canadians are not required to fill it out when in fact it must be - one per person, no exceptions. Each person having to fill out the form while in line would have been what contributed to the long back-log.

RCCL is largely to blame for this. The information given on-board about the mandatory I-94 forms is incorrect and contradictory and no two crew members will say the same thing when questioned. The form itself is INCORRECT - it specifically says that Canadians are not required to fill it out when in fact it must be - one per person, no exceptions. Each person having to fill out the form while in line would have been what contributed to the long back-log.

Additionally, as I understand, they gave the wrong information to Canadians - first telling them they didn't have to fill in a form and then making frantic announcements that they did have to.

As foreigners from the UK we had gone through the full procedure when we arrived from the Transatlantic, had handed over the green forms and been given the tear off slip. Asked two people in the terminal building whether we needed to fill them in again to be told no......only to be told at the head of the line that we did.

They sure make it hard for us foreigners :rolleyes:

Edited by Bobal

I have posted this many times before and usually recieve a round of static from posters........ If you get to the port before 10:30 AM you are in the way. Passengers are trying to get off and get to their transportation home, porters are weaving around with heavy luggage, service vehicles are moving in and around to get their equipment and replenishments onboard. You, the early bird, are not going anywhere except standing in line or best case having the opportunity to sit on a hard plastic seat for an undetermined amount of time.

I just got off a Princess ship last week and my porter almost crushed a couple of people as we tried to plow through a mass of passengers outside in the boarding line at 9:30 AM.

Absolutely ridiculous.